Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur tuned 35R w/methanol...and a jack russell

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Buschur tuned 35R w/methanol...and a jack russell

In my defense regarding the jack russell, I was just trying to be a nice guy. I thought Dave may have been allergic to cats and my interior was covered in white hair (my jack "Sparky" likes to go cruising in the EVO as well.) It's a funny story...though I'm the butt of the joke. You should have seen the look on Dan and Dave Buschur's face when I replied "no jack russell" to their "Do you have a CAT in the car?" question. The shop went silent then it dawned on me that they were talking about a catalytic converter not an animal nor animal hair in the car. I feel like such a dumbass. Glad I could make you all laugh.

With the jokes aside, I have to say after having my EVO at seven so-called tuner shops and never being truly happy, I can say that from now on I will only take my EVO to Buschur Racing. I have dealt with numerous people over the years first with my GTP and now my EVO and I can honestly say that no other shop compares to Buschur when it comes to their expertise, experience, and customer service. Learn from my multi thousand dollar mistakes and take your EVO directly to Buschur. You won't regret it.

When my EVO arrived at their shop I thought that I had a great tune and power. I was completely wrong. I didn't know much about the AEM. Dave took the time to show me what a GT35R fuel map, boost response and timing should look like. To say the least, mine was completely off. Dan installed the head studs, alky/methanol kit and my AEM wideband. Dave then took me for a couple road tuning pulls to get the tune dialed in. All I have to say is Holy $hit! On 93 octane with a 35R methanol this car is now truly a street beast.

With Dave's tuning my car hits boost much earlier than it used to. I get 25-30 miles to the gallon (it took me two tanks to get there and only one to get home). My car pulls like a freight train all the way to redline and I can't wait to get to the track. No dyno numbers as of yet, they were in the process of installing their dyno while I was there. I'm barely running 21.5 lbs of boost. My ignition could not handling the higher boost without breaking up and I wanted to have some drivability. After I get an upgraded BR ignition I definitely plan on having the wick turned up.

Thanks to Dave, Dan, Jarrod, Nick and the female statey for all of their help. Keep up the good work. I'll be back soon.

What's up to EVOmojo it was nice meeting you at the shop. I wish I could have stayed and raced. By the way how did you do?
Old Jul 30, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Why was the ignition crapping out?? It may have been as simple as the plugs starting to foul. I used to think it my inadequete ignition causing my car to miss badly at full boost. I then learned I was just fouling the plugs ALOT. Granted my ignition is probably half the reason they foul out I had my car at 25-27psi and the ignition still was firing (At least enough to feel good ) I now have it at 30psi and I think it is still ok. Im glad you finally took your car to a good tuner and got what you paid for on that whole setup though! I love seeing Evo's around my town that have GT35rs and think they are tuned well and are just plain off slower than hell. Its funny because most of them have EMS's and built motors, full ignition, etc... Mine doesnt have half of that and just makes thiers look stupid. The Buschur team are definately some stand up guys. I love thier customer service and they are obviously extremely knowledgable.

And yes... for driveability with the whole boost thing... I would say my ignition is more than half the reason I foul my plugs so often so I think it is a very good idea to keep the boost a little lower to ensure a good running car. Mine is kinda stupid... whenever I feel like showing the power of my car I need to change the plugs
Old Jul 30, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff
Old Jul 30, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
I had my car at 25-27psi and the ignition still was firing (At least enough to feel good ) I now have it at 30psi and I think it is still ok.

Trina, are you reading boost from your gauge or your data logs. I made the mistake of reading my boost from my gauge and thinking it was correct. I have a Defi boost gauge and it reads 3 lbs. less then my AEM data logs. So before my Buschur tune I was only running ~18lbs. I dying to get to the track and see what it will do with a good tune and more boost. I hoping for a 11 sec pass. My current best on pump gas is a 12.1 @116 w/ 1.89 60ft.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

I was told by Andrew at dyno4mance that I should not run Iriudum spark plugs because
the can stay hot and cause problems with high boost and big turbos. Run the ngk br8es
cooper plugs not the ones with the patruding electrode.I run 28 psi no problem with
meth and gt35r. The plugs are cheap under 10 dollars for 4 of them so you can change
them every time you change your oil.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

I think we used br7's gaped a little tighter than what I had. The high boost was blowing my spark out.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Try the br8es gapped to .025 it is going to be alot cheaper than the new ignition.It is
a colder plug.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 05:30 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
i made 558 awhp on BR7s gapped a little tighter on 94 oct and meth.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Evolunchbox,
Funny thread. You brag on BR for most of your post going on about how great your tune, 35R, and meth injection is. Then, almost as an afterthought, you throw in this little blip: "BTW, I can't boost more than 21.5psi without the ignition breaking up. Hey, but no worries, I can spend another $470 bucks on a Buschur ignition to solve the problem."

ELB, when you have a 35R and can't boost past 21.5, YOUR SETUP IS WORTHLESS. How can you be happy? Follow the advice of those that have already posted and gap your plugs down to .022 or .023 and see if that fixes your problem. It usually works. In the future, don't be happy when you leave a tuner and your car doesn't perform right.

Last edited by Smogrunner; Jul 30, 2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 06:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Evolunchbox,
Funny thread. You brag on BR for most of your post going on about how great your tune, 35R, and meth injection is. Then, almost as an afterthought, you throw in this little blip: "BTW, I can't boost more than 21.5psi without the ignition breaking up. Hey, but no worries, I can spend another $470 bucks on a Buschur ignition to solve the problem."

ELB, when you have a 35R and can't boost past 21.5, YOUR SETUP IS WORTHLESS. How can you be happy? Follow the advice of those that have already posted and gap your plugs down to .022 or .023 and see if that fixes your problem. It usually works. In the future, don't be happy when you leave a tuner and your car doesn't perform right.
The Vishnu camp is coming in already making comments .
Old Jul 30, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1BADASSEVO8
The Vishnu camp is coming in already making comments .
Vishnu Evos have had the same problem as that listed above. It was fixed by narrowing the plug gap. We all have evo's, we all have problems. We all say dumb crap here and there. I was only referring to the post, which struck me as truly odd, as he was all but his car doesn't run properly.

It is nice to know that I am a camp. . Now I just need to get a tent.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Oh christ here we go.
I was very happy after I left BR. The way my car was running before I got it there was total crap. When I said higher boost I was refering to 25-30 lbs.
I will continue to support the Buschur "camp" and most likely will buy their ignition. You can save your comments for someone who cares.
But hey... thanks for the plug advice and the new signature

Last edited by EVOlunchbox; Jul 30, 2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FLAEVO
I was told by Andrew at dyno4mance that I should not run Iriudum spark plugs because
the can stay hot and cause problems with high boost and big turbos. Run the ngk br8es
cooper plugs not the ones with the patruding electrode.I run 28 psi no problem with
meth and gt35r. The plugs are cheap under 10 dollars for 4 of them so you can change
them every time you change your oil.
+1. I have run 30psi w/ the same plugs gapped to .23 w/ no issues.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
+1. I have run 30psi w/ the same plugs gapped to .23 w/ no issues.
I'll have to give this a try. Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I gapped down my plugs when I was getting ignition problems, and it worked for me gapped down to .023" But personally I consider this a "band aid" type of fix, and put in the HKS DLI 2 as soon as I could get one shipped out to me. Easiest part I have ever installed. Not joking there. I put in new plugs gapped to .028 and have had no ignition problems.

Keith

Quick Reply: Buschur tuned 35R w/methanol...and a jack russell