Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

External Wastegate Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vroomevo
any power benefit compare to internal wastegate?
external wastegate spool faster???
No spiking, no creeping and ROCK SOLID boost control.

External wastegates dumped to the atmosphere is the best thing since sliced bread.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, I never thought of putting an external WG on a stock turbo. I didn't even think it was possible. I wonder how well an external WG would work on the new BR 20G or even the white rabbit. Someone on the boards has to have the money/time to try this!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

i meant to ask what company make exhaust manifolds for a stock turbo that will hold an external wastgate
Old Aug 14, 2005, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LostSoul Evo
i meant to ask what company make exhaust manifolds for a stock turbo that will hold an external wastgate
I don't think any company makes one that's compatible. He said he needed to modify a DNP manifold to fit an external WG. It's most likely an expensive mod, but probably worth it in the end if your sick of the fluttering from the internal WG.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rlazer5000
I don't think any company makes one that's compatible. He said he needed to modify a DNP manifold to fit an external WG. It's most likely an expensive mod, but probably worth it in the end if your sick of the fluttering from the internal WG.
god that internal wastegate is starting to kill me.....
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nnorris7413
god that internal wastegate is starting to kill me.....
LOL, I'm sure it's killing a lot of people. I sent a PM to Jarrod at BR if they sold manifolds that could bolt up to the stock turbo and still fit an external WG. Waiting anxiously for a reply.......
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

bump. I wanna know. I had a turbo on my last VW. (63) boosted around 25 all the time and it was external dump (most are) I loved that sound. It made me eyes water it was so loud. ( i think that car ran low 11's) never go to run it though. (wrecked it)
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

For anyone who is interested, because I know I am, Victory Performance, whose known for making tubular 02s and such for the DSM scene is making a tubular 02 with dump (to atmosphere) soon. I emailed them last week and they said they were 50% done! Im so getting one!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

i luv the sound, i've never heard it on an Evo yet but i have heard it on a RX7 and it is soooooooooo sweat when he guns it!!!!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
For anyone who is interested, because I know I am, Victory Performance, whose known for making tubular 02s and such for the DSM scene is making a tubular 02 with dump (to atmosphere) soon. I emailed them last week and they said they were 50% done! Im so getting one!
I'm definitely interested! Please keep us updated on their progress!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur did make a tubular o2 housing w/ an external wastegate mounted on it for the stock turbo and he found that it caused his car to be extremely laggy. He said it was most likely due to the disruption in exhaust flow into the turbo.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=external
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Buschur did make a tubular o2 housing w/ an external wastegate mounted on it for the stock turbo and he found that it caused his car to be extremely laggy. He said it was most likely due to the disruption in exhaust flow into the turbo.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=external
Im not understanding that at all. I understand how wastegates work... but the only way I could see the external losing power downlow against the internal would be becasuse you wont get that initial boost spike. However, like David said, top end was increased... did you see the power gains up top? Pretty impressive.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Im not understanding that at all. I understand how wastegates work... but the only way I could see the external losing power downlow against the internal would be becasuse you wont get that initial boost spike. However, like David said, top end was increased... did you see the power gains up top? Pretty impressive.
With the external wastegate mounted on the o2 housing, the stock flapper valve has to remain open at all times, even before boost. So that causes a huge disruption in the exhaust flow into the turbine housing. I guess you can run two boost controllers and run both the internal and external wastegate at the same time. But that just sounds silly..
Old Aug 16, 2005, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

My flapper is welded shut thats why I have the EW welded in the header and not in the O2 housing.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

here is the sound of an external wastegate at 7psi...a video i made located here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=154392

Quick Reply: External Wastegate Question