Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tial BOV Psi holding capacity?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2005, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tial BOV Psi holding capacity?

My evo is undergoing a HKS V-Pro; switching to MAP, getting a dejon tool upper i/c pipe and TIAL bov...

I am reading online that the tial takes different springs for different psi levels... the highest I have seen on spring capacity is 23.5psi... am I wrong? Anyone running high boost with thier tial?

I am running 25psi daily on methanol and pumpgas...will my tial hold? What will I need to have it hold 25-30psi daily?

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will hold anything you can throw at it. We are running 34psi on our red car with no issues.

jeff
Old Aug 3, 2005, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

ya i think tial is probably the strongest on the market
Old Aug 3, 2005, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMS runs Tials BOV I thought, or did and don't they run 30+ psi?

I hear Tial isn't good for low boosted cars so.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

ok, is there any switching of any springs? can anyone let me know a part number for a different spring? is it adjustable..i didnt think it was?

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2005, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mobounce
ok, is there any switching of any springs? can anyone let me know a part number for a different spring? is it adjustable..i didnt think it was?

Thanks!
you can switch spring rates. theres a buch of different rates.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 05:30 AM
Former Vendor

there is a 7, 11 and i think 15 psi spring for the bov... usaully the 11 works good.. i found its too stiff for my car though.. so i got the 7, and that was too weak... so i sold the bov...
Old Aug 4, 2005, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only purpose for the spring in the Tial BOV is to hold it shut during cruise conditions or at idle. You want the lightest spring you can get away with. The Tial is one of the few BOV's I have seen that I consider properly designed. The diaphrame area is larger than the area of the plunger surface area, so the boost pressure comming in through the boost/vacuum line is what holds the valve shut.

Keith
Old Aug 4, 2005, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourdoor
The only purpose for the spring in the Tial BOV is to hold it shut during cruise conditions or at idle. You want the lightest spring you can get away with. The Tial is one of the few BOV's I have seen that I consider properly designed. The diaphrame area is larger than the area of the plunger surface area, so the boost pressure comming in through the boost/vacuum line is what holds the valve shut.

Keith
finally, someone who knows how it works. the springs they can come with is 7, 9, and 11 psi. but the springs are rated by vacuum. If your car has stock cams you'll want to run a 9 psi spring because its good for double that in inches of vacuum. So if your car idles at -18 inches you can use the 9 psi spring. if you have cams and your idles at -14 inches you can use the 7 psi spring. But yes you want to run the lightest possible. If you run a 7 psi spring and your car is idling at -20 inches the bov is going to just sit there open while your idling. if you run too hard of a spring the bov wont open properly causing compressor surge.

but yes tial bov's will handle just about anything, we have a customer with a 2004 dodge ram 3500 turbo diesel that is twin turbocharged with propane injection and the truck makes 794 whp and 12xx tq TO THE WHEELS!!! he runs a tial bov and he runs the truck on 60-65 psi of boost