Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best front mount intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best front mount intercooler?

I am currently using Greddy R-spec intercooler, somehow ,i feel like the car is slower compare with using stock intercooler. Some of my friends are telling me that R-spec should be used with big turbo upgrade set up. I am just wondering what is the best front mount intercooler set up with stock turbo?
Old Aug 6, 2005, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
a billion people are gonna jump on here and say stock intercooler is best.

first of all... you should check all your connections on your intercooler install.

the rspec is a fine intercooler nad it is very light weight, the fin density may make things different and what not... but i wouldn't think it to make the car slower... although i've mostly heard the good stuff from people that have more stuff done. it is a good intercooler for the stock turbo if you're pushin' 21psi. it'll do the work well with weight in mind. just check the tune and install before you make any judgements.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 03:28 AM
Evolving Member

ARC

just my 2 cents!
Old Aug 6, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 350Z_2_Evo8
ARC

just my 2 cents!
I agree, and when you look at the insides of one, most will agree.

However, I highly doubt you'd see a huge difference between the rspl and the ARC.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

i have the perrin IC and i love it...but when running the stock turbo...it's not neccessary to upgrade the intercooler.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vapor
I agree, and when you look at the insides of one, most will agree.

However, I highly doubt you'd see a huge difference between the rspl and the ARC.
only size... which will play into filling nad boosting, cooilng capacity? same prolly.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:14 PM
ELF
Evolving Member

AMS
Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rez90
i have the perrin IC and i love it...but when running the stock turbo...it's not neccessary to upgrade the intercooler.
a lotta people say that... maybe running stock boost it's not necessary... but actually you need less of an intercooler when you hop up to a bigger turbo. cuz it will always blow cooler air. the overworked tiny turbo is what makes hot air.

of course when you're flowing more air you need something that is more free flowing too. the reason why people get bigger intercoolers that are more restrictive is because with a bigger turbo you can get away with it. the turbo will just power through all the intercooler stuff... and you'll get the cooled discharge all teh same. where in a smaller turbo such an upgrade has more noticeable downsides, filling is harder, overcoming the restrictions becomes apparent cuz you gotta work harder... and with something like a stock turbo that's only gonna make yer boost taper and what not.

that is why with the stock turbo you needa be running more than stock boost... holding rock solid before you do intercooler stuff. altho pipes would help a lot and myabe that would put off the downsides.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 02:17 PM

After I Installed The Rspec, The Boost Has Dropped To 1.0 Bar And I Have To Use Boost Controller To Adjust It. Is It Normal Like This? I Have Checked The Pippings And There Is No Leaks At All..
Old Aug 6, 2005, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

stock intercooler is best any other intercooler = throwing away $800 for pointless bling unless you actually have 400whp to warrant a larger one.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Buschur!
Old Aug 6, 2005, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Before I installed my custom 24x12x3 bar/plate, I had my boost set at 20psi (going thru the stock intercooler). (I'm running a stock turbo.)
After I installed my new intercooler, I didn't touch the boost controller, I went for a test run. Boost hit 26psi (not a spike) and blew off my intercooler pipe at the throttlebody. (I also insured all clamps were tight)
This indicated to me that the stock intercooler is restrictive. I had to turn down my boost controller to maintain 20psi. I am also able to run higher boost without knock due to the more effcient cooling.

I just finsihed installing an even bigger core, 24x12x4. I din't notice any improvement. I even think boost ramp-up is a bit slower.
This is just prep work for an upcoming bigger turbo.

Bottomline, stock is good. Aftermarket is better. You will notice a difference.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
a lotta people say that... maybe running stock boost it's not necessary... but actually you need less of an intercooler when you hop up to a bigger turbo. cuz it will always blow cooler air. the overworked tiny turbo is what makes hot air.

of course when you're flowing more air you need something that is more free flowing too. the reason why people get bigger intercoolers that are more restrictive is because with a bigger turbo you can get away with it. the turbo will just power through all the intercooler stuff... and you'll get the cooled discharge all teh same. where in a smaller turbo such an upgrade has more noticeable downsides, filling is harder, overcoming the restrictions becomes apparent cuz you gotta work harder... and with something like a stock turbo that's only gonna make yer boost taper and what not.

that is why with the stock turbo you needa be running more than stock boost... holding rock solid before you do intercooler stuff. altho pipes would help a lot and myabe that would put off the downsides.
^^^^ what he said
Old Aug 6, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Some aftermarket intercoolers will give much better cooling over the stock intercooler. Tube and Fin is NOT the ideal structure for cooling, bar and plate is. Hence why 99% of the aftermarket IC mfg. use it.
When running larger turbos, the necessity of running an upgraded intercooler is flow. You dont see any 10 second EVOs running the stock IC do you? Understand that and you can see why Dynoflash gained 20-40whp by switching to the BR RACE FMIC.
With the stock turbo, I think depending on the uprade.. the intercooler is worth it. The Buschur, AMS and Nisei all FLOW better than the stock and also doing a better job cooling. Its just a matter of how much its worth it to you. I got the BR FMIC bc I ruined my stock IC by hitting a deer. The choice was simple. Also, the aftermarket ICs, especially buschur just make the stock one look stupid in terms of styling
Attached Images  
Old Aug 6, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

If your in a realy hot climate it might be justifable.. but its summertime here in california monterey bay area and at night on the pacific coast its foggy/misty and 50-60 degrees, super cool air all the time plus its like running water injection with all the fog lol

Quick Reply: best front mount intercooler?