Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cat Delete or resonator? and exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat Delete or resonator? and exhaust questions

I will be getting exhaust shortly, but first I want to work my way from turbo back. I plan on getting a downpipe, then a cat delete. I am unfamiliar with resonators and I dont want to have a loud exhaust. So, which would create a more subtle exhaust note, a staight through cat, or a resonator. I always thought resonators made MORE noise? Also any thoughts on the Pruven exhaust. They say its quiet and you dont need a 3" exhaust until pushing 400hp. I am pretty much stock so no where near 400 ponies. Any truth to this. Is the stock exhaust pipe from the cat to the muffler any good? Thanks is advance?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

If you don't want a lot of noise, get a cat. A catless exhaust with a resonator is usually louder than an exhaust with a cat and no resonator.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HiRevnVIII
I will be getting exhaust shortly, but first I want to work my way from turbo back. I plan on getting a downpipe, then a cat delete. I am unfamiliar with resonators and I dont want to have a loud exhaust. So, which would create a more subtle exhaust note, a staight through cat, or a resonator. I always thought resonators made MORE noise? Also any thoughts on the Pruven exhaust. They say its quiet and you dont need a 3" exhaust until pushing 400hp. I am pretty much stock so no where near 400 ponies. Any truth to this. Is the stock exhaust pipe from the cat to the muffler any good? Thanks is advance?
1) You start at the muffler and go towards the turbo, not the other way around. It would be useless to start with a downpipe. Read Buschur's old thread...he confirmed this as being a mistake.

2) Get 3"...that's the best for our cars and there's no reason NOT to get 3".

3) A resonated test pipe will be quieter than a non-resonated test pipe.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

resonated is quieter? Allright, that should work. So the Pruven axleback exhaust is a no go? I just like it because it is supposed to be quiet.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on your resonaters and your muffler. There people with no cats that are quieter than my exhaust.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:54 PM

I replaced my Vishnu hi-flow cat with a megan resonated test pipe - result is slightly louder but not alot. I'm guessing closer to 12 to 15hp based on stage 1 vs stage 1 catless (noise) at dynoformance dyno last yr, but I'm no expert.

Noticible gains without the cat and probably .5 to 1.0 mpg better - my mechanic put in adapter so I can switch back and forth easily.

With the test pipe I get the "check/service engine soon light" - I think there's a fix to this, but I'm not sure what it is.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Injen, it's catless and quiet as a... well, it's quiet.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

i purchased an HKS hi power TI muffler from an e vo site, after that i got costum 3inch pipeing, and a week or so ago i went to the shop and had a costum 3 inch downpipe made also. not to mention i have a ultimate racing test pipe, i'll be honest it isnt loud what so ever. onoly gets loud when i punch it.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want quiet, don't get TurboXs TBE. At full throttle I scare people =p
Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

donmeca, how much did they charge you for a custome 3" exhaust to the muffler. I have thought about this route as well.

tyrotrader. People have posted on here to get a pack of spark plug anti-foulers (hope thats right) from the help section of autozone. drill out one with a 1/2 inch drill bit and put this in front of your o2 sensor. one mat make the light go away, and from what ive read, almost everyone who uses both get it to go away. depends on the car.

sounds like HKS may be the way to go?