Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Side effects of too much timing......?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2005, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side effects of too much timing......?

Too much retardation of timing causes high EGT. Is there any adverse effects to too much timing besides knocking? Too much cylinder pressure?

Whats the best way to tune a car, high boost/low timing or advance timing/moderate boost?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowCar
Too much retardation of timing causes high EGT. Is there any adverse effects to too much timing besides knocking? Too much cylinder pressure?

Whats the best way to tune a car, high boost/low timing or advance timing/moderate boost?
Too much timing can also cause high EGT. The engine will only make so much power, after that it just adds additional stress and heat. Alot of ignition timing on the evo will cause knock and engine failure will occur in most cases way before a engine wearout from stress.

The best way that I like to tune is start with low timing values and tune your fuel first until it is dead on at all boost levels and test with throttle roll on and throttle stab in every gear and at different rpms. Then tune ignition timing load sites up to wastegate pressure doing the same thing you did with the fuel tuning and testing. Then you can find how much timing you need to drop at each load zone and repeat the steps again for the higher boost load sites. In most cases you drop 1 deg of advance for every psi of boost increase. But with the my EVO I only drop about half of that, each car is different though so keep that in mind.

Also remember to tune safe, don't make big adjustments without testing them. Also after you are tuned log it for the next few days to make sure the performance is repeated without issues. Tune and do pulls in every gear, this is why it is safest to do this on a dyno but don't forget to compensate for the load difference if you do test on a dyno.

There are several ways to do this but this is just my method, hope it helps.