Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Draining pump gas to put in race gas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2007, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It takes up to 3-4 minutes to drain the tank, depending on what pump you have, how much fuel you are draining (should be less than 5 gallons so it fits in one jug), and whether or not you run the car while you run the pump (voltage affects flow rate).

Swapping out the fuel is more cost effective (I only buy one gallon per trip to the track), better for high boost since you know it's not diluted (aside from the ~1 gallon the pump can't pick up), and easier on your O2 sensors since you're not running it in the tank for long after you're done racing (depends on how low you run the tank before refilling). It's the only way to go IMO, especially if you race regularly.

I have considered for a long time running a seperate fuel cell that can be valved in for hte race fuel, since I run at the track one to two times per week, and swapping fuel gets real old. I also hate having to carry the race fuel and a second jug in the trunk all the time, the car reaks of gasoline. The problem is that it is a bit expensive, it puts you out of certain classes (like Nopi PS for example), makes tech at a strict track that much more painful, and you have that added weight to carry around even on the street. After 3 years I still haven't decided if it's worth it or not.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think a fuel cell system saves you about 30 lbs over stock....and i was thinking of doing a 5gal race 5 gal pump tank....so i don't think the weight will be penalizing me...the thing is I dont just race at the track if you catch my drift and it will be kinda awkward when a certain "match" is agreed upon...."ok guy lets do it.....o wait a few minutes i gotta drain my tank and fill it with RACE GAS....."

and after reading trinababe's fuel cell thread It would only cost me about $1000 for all the parts
Old Mar 11, 2007, 09:43 AM
fre
Evolved Member

I don't race that often and swapping fuel only takes 5 minutes max as said before. It's not worth the *** pain of installing a race fuel cell in my opinion. My friend runs a 9 second talon and he still uses the stock fuel tank. Of course he rarely puts pump gas in it anyway.

On the other hand, if you have the money to burn then go for it.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by fre
Another easy alternative in case you can't get a fuel tank below your car is to unhook the hose from your fuel return line and put another one on that runs to a fuel tank and then start your car and let it idle while it drains all the fuel out. I chose to do it the hard way and go in under the rear seat and use a boat fuel syphon, but that was before I was aware of these other methods
You should try the fuel return line method . Then remove the fuel plugs and see how much more comes out. I bet its over two gallons left in the tank.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 11:01 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
You should try the fuel return line method . Then remove the fuel plugs and see how much more comes out. I bet its over two gallons left in the tank.
The thing that wouldn't make sense to me is if you have a 14 gallon tank then only 12 gallons is useable? Meaning the fuel pump can't pick up the bottom 2 gallons? That just doesn't make any sense. You would think the engineers would design it a little better than that. I could be wrong and if I am oh well.

Last edited by fre; Mar 11, 2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

I pumped out the tank at a gas station once, then filled it up. I can't recall the exact numbers, but I came up with something less than 1 gallon that the pump can't reach.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:22 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kjewer1
I pumped out the tank at a gas station once, then filled it up. I can't recall the exact numbers, but I came up with something less than 1 gallon that the pump can't reach.
This makes more sense.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fre
The thing that wouldn't make sense to me is if you have a 14 gallon tank then only 12 gallons is useable? Meaning the fuel pump can't pick up the bottom 2 gallons? That just doesn't make any sense. You would think the engineers would design it a little better than that. I could be wrong and if I am oh well.
Actually, the engineers did thought about that very well.
Evo has an AWD drivetrain. In order for it to have a bigger gas tank, they had to use a " saddle bag " type of tank. One on each side of the driveshaft. If not, we'll only have a 7 gallon tank .
If the fuel pump side tank gets lower, it siphons off the other tank. Fuel pump is surrounded by a bowl type basin. This basin prevent the fuel from getting plastered to the wall during hard cornering. This basin also acts like a dam so even if you stall out of gas, the left over fuel on the other side of the tank + fuel outside the basin = 1-1.5 gallons.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:38 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Well the person that posted the test results is probably accurate since he actually did a test based on 14 gallons and is not just speculating. So I will go with his results
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

I too use the method Fre talks about (I got the idea from him, my fellow military Tarmacblack owner ) and it works great for me as well...A piece of vaccum hose about 4-6 feet that fits over the fuel return hard pipe right by the fuel rail should do the tric...better than crawling under the car IMO
Old Mar 13, 2007, 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by fre
Its more like a 16.5 gallon tank with 14 usable. Fuel pickups are not very close to bottom of tank. I have used the fuel pump method on various cars when I had to remove tank for service. Always amazed/pissed at how much fuel is left in tank.

This is why I always warn people about running race gas in their car when they never drain the tank properly. You never have a consistant mix. Especially when you ad some race gas a couple of times a week. You never know how much race gas is left in that last 2 gallons thats left in the tank. Octane unkown is a dangerous thing.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Mar 13, 2007 at 03:07 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

You guys are forgetting how the fuel system works. There was mention of the saddle type tank, now, how the fuel gets from the left to the right side is by a siphoning method. The fuel returning from the engine is routed to the right side of the tank through a siphoning apparatus. The action of the fuel moving through this piece draws fuel from the left side of the tank. So, if you disconnect the return line at the regulator,as suggested previously, you are in essence turning off the the siphoning action from the left side of the tank so that any fuel that was left in it will stay there and you will only be draining the right side of the tank, the side that the pump is in! Thus the illusive 1-3 gallons that we all are talking about.
You can drain the tank ( RHS ) pretty well with the "car idling and return line" method, but if you use this method you must remember that whatever fuel was left in the LHS will now be mixed with your race gas once you reconnect the return line.
Hope this helps
Old Mar 13, 2007, 09:03 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wspy
You guys are forgetting how the fuel system works. There was mention of the saddle type tank, now, how the fuel gets from the left to the right side is by a siphoning method. The fuel returning from the engine is routed to the right side of the tank through a siphoning apparatus. The action of the fuel moving through this piece draws fuel from the left side of the tank. So, if you disconnect the return line at the regulator,as suggested previously, you are in essence turning off the the siphoning action from the left side of the tank so that any fuel that was left in it will stay there and you will only be draining the right side of the tank, the side that the pump is in! Thus the illusive 1-3 gallons that we all are talking about.
You can drain the tank ( RHS ) pretty well with the "car idling and return line" method, but if you use this method you must remember that whatever fuel was left in the LHS will now be mixed with your race gas once you reconnect the return line.
Hope this helps
After reviewing the manual I understand the concept, but I would have to confirm that the tank is 16.5 gallons and only 14 is useable. Again, that doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by fre; Mar 14, 2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Am I the only one thinking that my pump feed/return is on the LEFT side of the tank? Either way, the return is on that side, but the fuel passing through it back into the tank siphons fuel from the passenger side tank into the drivers side.

At any rate, if you are getting to the track and expecting to drain your tank into a 5 gallon jug (I usually get 2-3 gallons), none of the above discussion applies. There is no fuel in the other side to pull over...