Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

boost gauge needle vibrates badly.. is there a fix?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
boost gauge needle vibrates badly.. is there a fix?

When idling the needle on my boost guage vibrates pretty bad in a way its starting to annoy me and makes a rattling noise. Is there any way I can make it not vibrate as much? I have the Defi D guage btw
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being that's it's a mechanical gauge, you might have a problem elsewhere. I would check all of your vacuum lines to be sure it's the gauge. If it is the gauge, I'd just buy a new one. I'm on my second Defi D boost gauge already.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
Being that's it's a mechanical gauge, you might have a problem elsewhere. I would check all of your vacuum lines to be sure it's the gauge. If it is the gauge, I'd just buy a new one. I'm on my second Defi D boost gauge already.
it started happening when I got a fully built engine head. How do I check the vacuum lines, do make sure they are more secured and not dangling around the engine compartment?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

check at the T fitting and everything stemming from it. . .that's the easiest thing to do first. . .
Old Aug 18, 2005, 07:35 PM
Account Disabled

fit a restrictor into the line that goes to the boost gauge
Old Aug 18, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
fit a restrictor into the line that goes to the boost gauge
what is it and how does it look like?

thanks
Old Aug 21, 2005, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Aug 21, 2005, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Im assuming you installed cams when you did your "fully built engine head"? If so, big lopey cams (or even less lopey cams with an improper tune) can give you a ****ty idle which will make your car's boost gauge fluctuate in vacuum while idling.

Im thinking this might be the case?
Old Aug 21, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

I had this problem when I had a mech. VDO gauge on my wrx. Go to the plumbing section of your hardware store and get a male and female npt fittings with barbed ends and put a small piece of cottan inside when you screw them together, not enogh to clog it but enought to restrict alittle bit of the flow. then put that inline with your boost gauge tubing. you can also add 2 sink faucet screens and put them in the fittings so there is no chance of the cotton getting sucked through.
ed
Old Aug 21, 2005, 03:10 PM
Account Disabled

it is hard to describe - it is something that fits in the line to limit the amount of vacuum signal the gauge is getting. Some gauges are very sensitive to this (GReddy, HKS)< and restrictors are provided when you buy the gauge new. it is not something we sell seperately, but any hardware store should have one. It is shaped like a small pill is usually brass, and fits in the vacuum line and has a hole in the center so air can still pass through it. Since the gauge is just reading air pressure, it does not matter if you have a 4 inch hose giving that signal or a .25 inch hole - it will still read the same as pressure has not changed
Old Aug 21, 2005, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Im assuming you installed cams when you did your "fully built engine head"? If so, big lopey cams (or even less lopey cams with an improper tune) can give you a ****ty idle which will make your car's boost gauge fluctuate in vacuum while idling.

Im thinking this might be the case?
yes

I just need to know how the restrictor pill looks like. anyone have a pic of how it looks like?
Old Dec 13, 2005, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm, I'm having a nasty ratling problem with my gauge too. Anything above 15psi and it just started happening. I got a new gauge and STILL I hear the rattle.

How would the restrictor pill help this problem? I still have the stock restrictors that fit into the stock vac lines, I could just use one of those.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smp3000
hmmm, I'm having a nasty ratling problem with my gauge too. Anything above 15psi and it just started happening. I got a new gauge and STILL I hear the rattle.

How would the restrictor pill help this problem? I still have the stock restrictors that fit into the stock vac lines, I could just use one of those.
I made one out of aluminum pieces at this parts shop and it works good. No more rattling.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting! I wonder if it will fix my rattling as well? I'm unsure how this would help?

What is it inside the gauge that rattles?
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smp3000
Interesting! I wonder if it will fix my rattling as well? I'm unsure how this would help?

What is it inside the gauge that rattles?
I wouldnt call mine a pill but more of a adapter piece that connects both ends of the tube that cuts down the airflow during idle. Its like a tube inside another tube but eh diameter is much smaller so there arent as much air flowing thru. The reason I think the gauge rattles is because there is unstable vacuum pressure going into the boost gauge.

Quick Reply: boost gauge needle vibrates badly.. is there a fix?