Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TRE Tranny and WORKS upgrades..First Impression!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds great man. one day i will have my TRE tranny too
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Well since your from the Bay Area maybe WORKS can hook you up like they did for me. They sent out a core they had, so no downtime for me
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jon, you have Email...
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
Nope, I've never said that in regards to the transmission. I have had excellent results with the Pennzoil Synchromesh in our transmissions due to the fact that I enlarge the oil passage ways throughout the transmission. The transmissions run cooler and this will lead to higher material strength which ties back into overall durability of our transmissions.

Now if you're talking about the transfer case or rear end....then I recommend the factory oil, Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil part #3775610.

Jon@TRE
http://www.teamrip.com/Evolution.html
I'd like to say a big THANKS to Jon for giving me some free advice a while back regarding my rear diff, which was locking up badly.

His first words of advice were: "put in some diaqueen and then see how it works" ... changed out the redline crap ... and it's back to working normal. Once I get the rest of the details worked out on my car, it will definitely be time to send my tranny to them.

l8r)
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I'd like to say a big THANKS to Jon for giving me some free advice a while back regarding my rear diff, which was locking up badly.

His first words of advice were: "put in some diaqueen and then see how it works" ... changed out the redline crap ... and it's back to working normal. Once I get the rest of the details worked out on my car, it will definitely be time to send my tranny to them.

l8r)
I'm tellin ya the man knows his ****. Stick with him and you will be in great shape.
We just got a transfer case from him. Followed his instructions to the T
Broke it in for at least 300 miles. The car feels great. Drivetrain is tight.
Next the race trans and we are good to go. Whoever hasn't thought about it should. Blueprinting the stock trans and running those drag gears will give you a great advantage along with long life as long as you treat her right.
TRE was a godsent. Keep up the good work guys.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Well im at about 450 miles so far, so a few hundred more and I'll get on it a bit harder (no launching etc, just flooring it in 3rd or 4th to see how hard it pulls
Old Aug 23, 2005, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool, how often did he say to change the TC oil??? I hear someone saying every oil change but I thought that was extreme. Its hard to get the evo flat to be able to add the correct amount of gear oil. Jack stands suck.... Also isnt there something about forcing all the fluid in the TC???

Im thinking about giving TRE some hard earned cash for a new TC and a brand new tranny. I want to build my drivetrain before the engine since my tc is already shot.. I hate the idea of having to drain/refill the TC every 3k miles or so though, especially if I can burn it up without that extra 1/10th of fluid in there..
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah every oil change sounds a bit extreme to me, maybe someone who knows will chime in.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evil EV0
Yeah every oil change sounds a bit extreme to me, maybe someone who knows will chime in.
Think of it this way:

If you are making stock power
Driving Miss Daisy
Have your clutch properly adjusted
Never dump the clutch
Never shift above 5000rpms
Take your sweet time shifting gears
Never road race or drag race the car

....then you could probably get away with changing the drivetrain oils at regular intervals as stated in the owners manual.

However, if you drive like this:

Scream it up in the rpms only to shift it fast as you can all the time
Tach it way up and dump your race clutch just because…
Drive like you stole it
Top speed runs are like daily worship to you

...then you may consider changing the transmission, transfer case and rear end oil as cheap insurance. Remember this car is basically a street legal race car that by design was built for competition use and it will require a little more service.

Jon@TRE
www.teamrip.com
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Jon,

I had advised my customers to change their Synchromesh every other oil change as it has been my experience that it shears down by then. Do you think that is to long an interval?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Ok, how's this. Since I haven't changed out my Pennzoil in 13,000 miles, and my gear grinds have been getting worse, do you think merely changing it out again and sticking to the change every 3750 miles (at oil change) will eliminate this problem? or...Since I drive extensively through the city almost every day, and I get one grind to 2nd gear everyday, do you think my synchros are just shot?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

If it matters the last time I changed mine with 3500 miles on it did shift a little smoother. But then again I do drive it like I stole and and do wup on her
Old Aug 24, 2005, 08:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Thoe99
Ok, how's this. Since I haven't changed out my Pennzoil in 13,000 miles, and my gear grinds have been getting worse, do you think merely changing it out again and sticking to the change every 3750 miles (at oil change) will eliminate this problem? or...Since I drive extensively through the city almost every day, and I get one grind to 2nd gear everyday, do you think my synchros are just shot?
I'd damn sure change it and see...
Old Aug 27, 2005, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I have about 700 miles on it now. I havent been abusing it or anything, but I have started driving it harder. I have launched it one time, but only like at like 3-4K but not really racing, just to see what it would do. It feels really good, everything is still as smooth as day 1. The gears are nice and smooth and I love the WORKS CK2 clutch.

Last night messing around with a firends TL (at the track of course) I got it up to 160 mph without breaking a sweat and it was still pulling hard. The cams made a huge difference up top, the car makes nice power and pulls hard.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

How are the high rpm shifts w/ the CK2 compared to the ACT?