Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TRE Tranny and WORKS upgrades..First Impression!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRE Tranny and WORKS upgrades..First Impression!!

Well, here is what I got. TRE rebuilt tranny TSB/Update/Upgrade they replaced the output shaft, center diff drive gear and front output shaft and of course did their machining etc. the tranny feels awesome, It shifts very smooth, nothing like when I got it back from Mitsu for the TSB fix. So far I like it although, im being easy on it right now. I'll add TRE got the tranny rebuilt in a couple days and shipped back fast

Then form WORKS, I got the 269 cams, titanium valvesprings/retainers, CK2 clutch, Aluminum flywheel (10lbs ) As with the tranny im still breaking in the clutch, but I can already feel the difference in power. The CK2 clutch is nice, the pedal feels like stock (I think) Ive had the ACT for a while so I dont remember what stock felt like The ACT had a stiffer pedal feel, with the CK2 the pedal feel is very soft. Also its weird the car almost feels lighter Im thinking thats the flywheel, since it revs up quicker. Anyways I am very pleased so far with all the parts, I cant wait until everything is broken in so I can get on it.

Anyways just thought id share in case anyone is interested in any of these parts
Old Aug 21, 2005, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to hearing your review once everythings broken in properly
Old Aug 21, 2005, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

John From TRE is a great guy and IMHO is the best at what he does. You will have great success.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

how much was the tranny job?? My 03 now has 5th gear grind
Old Aug 21, 2005, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

I have about 300 miles on everything, so maybe by the end of the week I'll be close

Maybe Jon can chime in as to how many miles I should put on the tranny before getting on it.

kuniboy..If you havent added an aftermarket clutch Id say have Mitsu fix your tranny for you, if you want to do a build like mine, it was $1480 which included shipping both ways.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by illegalakkord
Looking forward to hearing your review once everythings broken in properly

'

+1

Old Aug 21, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

BTW... congrats, your setup sounds promising.

Old Aug 21, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds good TRE rocks. How's that Z06 treating you?
Old Aug 21, 2005, 04:16 PM

Hey if your in SoCal, who did the tranny install for you.

Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

glad to see another happy tre customer i wanna have them rebuild my tranny also , guess i got nothing to worry about
Old Aug 21, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evil EV0
I have about 300 miles on everything, so maybe by the end of the week I'll be close

Maybe Jon can chime in as to how many miles I should put on the tranny before getting on it.

kuniboy..If you havent added an aftermarket clutch Id say have Mitsu fix your tranny for you, if you want to do a build like mine, it was $1480 which included shipping both ways.
As for how long to take it easy, I'd have to say at least 500 miles. Make certain that the clutch is adjusted correctly before you go shifting the thing fast.

If you have the correct oil in the transmission (we recommend any Synchromesh or Synchroshift type oil, use BG #2 for road racing) and you can raise the clutch pedal off the floor at least 3 inches (75mm) before the car even thinks about moving than you shouldn't have a problem with shifting the transmission even when shifting above 10,000rpm.

*** TRE CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT TIP *** Have the car on hoist while checking the clutch threshold. Clutch threshold is the term for when the clutch just grabs enough to make the wheels on the car turn. Having the car in the air is the reality check for clutch threshold and weather or not your clutch is dragging on the flywheel.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 06:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Whoa!!! I thought you didn't like Synchromesh!!!! Thought you said it was too thin to properly protect?
Old Aug 21, 2005, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Whoa!!! I thought you didn't like Synchromesh!!!! Thought you said it was too thin to properly protect?
Nope, I've never said that in regards to the transmission. I have had excellent results with the Pennzoil Synchromesh in our transmissions due to the fact that I enlarge the oil passage ways throughout the transmission. The transmissions run cooler and this will lead to higher material strength which ties back into overall durability of our transmissions.

Now if you're talking about the transfer case or rear end....then I recommend the factory oil, Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil part #3775610.

Jon@TRE
http://www.teamrip.com/Evolution.html
Old Aug 21, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys..I'll keep everyone posted. So 500 miles huh? Maybe I can get that tonight The Z06 is treating us very good. I needed this stuff just to keep up

I am very happy with TRE's service so far. Jon replied to all of my e-mails very quick even though, I asked a million questions Its actually hard to explain how good it shifts compared to stock. stock always felt notchy, this feels very smooth.

WORKS installed my tranny for me since they were doing the clutch and flywheel. I have to add that WORKS is also top notch, their customer service is awesome. I know they can be a bit pricey compared to most, but IMHO its worth it.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 08:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I must have been confused... I've always liked the Synchromesh in the tranny. There have been people not using it BlTCHING that it is too thin, but I've not seen a failure that can be attributed to the Synchromesh yet... and it shifts real nice.

Now I just need to collect enough cash to send you the tranny and xfer case.

Last edited by Zeus; Aug 21, 2005 at 08:44 PM.