Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

cam: gsc vs hks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2005 | 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
GSC doesnt make the cams in house, they are made at another place and the place who makes them just lets whoever wants to title them as their own name. There is a local place in NY selling cams for evos also, they are called RVM cams. Some may of heard of RVM because they also made piping a while back. RVM doesnt make cams either but they got them from the same place GSC gets them from. IDK personally know the place and I dont want to. HKS has been making cams for as long as I can remember for the 4G63 before the evo was even over here. GSC cams are just exact replicas of HKS cams, so in theory they shouldnt make any more power in the same exact car. All cars are different though so different cars make different power. but if you were to use the same lift and duration of both cams in the same car, I imagine the car would make the same power.

Some say the GSC cams make more power because of the Lobe design, its smoother then HKS cams. Well Thats a bunch of BS. Hks cams are extremely smooth, if there is a difference between the 2 cams, its so minute it wouldnt make a difference. The cams are the same plain and simple. HKS has just been around for longer and is a way larger company. I'd stick with them...
For the record NO we don't make the cams in house. Do you have any idea the cost of the casting machine for the cores or the cam grinder? No you don't. Try in the millions of dollars. I can tell you one thing none of the Japanese companies have them either. The only companies that have them are the Old US Domestic Companies and the Auto Manufactures. So let’s move on HKS does not cast or set the grinds in house, they are made by someone else. They do however do some finishing in house. Hmm wonder why they look different? We elected not to do this, because of the cost associated with it and the lack of an actual performance improvement. Also for your information there are a lot more variables in cam design than just lift and duration. I really don't want to get in to all the differences but for the cost of developing our cams we could have purchased a nice house. So please don't try and say they are exactly the same or we all have the same specs as others. We might have them made by the same manufacture but i can guarantee you one thing our cams have a lot of differences than the HKS, Buddy club, Skunk 2, RVM (who I have yet to hear of) Comp cams, jun or any others.
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

GregGSC, don't come on this board all high and mighty cam god. You know as well as I do that your cam sales only front your cross dressing habits.
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

From: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
GSC!!!! Great service and the power speaks for themselves....i can tell ya first hand!
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
The GSCs are identical to the Buddy Clubs. They do have the same lift and duration as the HKS, but sadly, news to NoLimit, is that there are a lot more aspects to a cam profile than those 2 variables.

The GSCs make more power than the HKS. They are significantly cheaper as well. They just don't look as pretty between the lobes. So what. Do you see the cams when they're installed? Not even a little tiny bit.

GSC.
Has it been proven that the gsc's make more power than the hks?
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 10:46 AM
Former Vendor

are you are really paying for is the name.. yes hks has more r-d costs, cause they were around first, and make more products... both are great, but if you hks, buy a used set here, if not buy from greg...
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Let me give you my experience with them, no bs. The first time Al Friedman came to puerto rico a little over to months ago, he tuned nearly 20 evos. Out of ALL of them, only one made a ridiculous amount of power 345-350 whp (give or take), i'm almost certain it had to be at least in the top three with the pretty much the same mods as the others.

It was the only car with gsc's 272/264, all the others had hks. I'm not saying gsc's are better, i'm just telling you guys what i saw
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

There are some dyno charts on GSC's website that show the power gains from 264/264's....HUGE!!!!!
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

I very happy with the GSCs and i will not purchase any other brand of cams.......
GSC ROCK!!!

Old Aug 23, 2005 | 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
Has it been proven that the gsc's make more power than the hks?
Yes. You can run a search on my name and I can just tell you. I switched from HKS to GSC and picked up quite a bit of power. Like 30 HP after a reflash (yes the HKS had a flash too). Both TurboTrix flashes. The GSCs work.

Old Aug 23, 2005 | 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Yes. You can run a search on my name and I can just tell you. I switched from HKS to GSC and picked up quite a bit of power. Like 30 HP after a reflash (yes the HKS had a flash too). Both TurboTrix flashes. The GSCs work.

Wow. I just put in hks 272s a month ago with a dynoflash and they are amazing, I'd love to just swap and compare. Much easier said than done. Which setup was that?
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

well im bought im goin with gsc's 272/272
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

So why aren't GSC's run on every high HP, big name car, seems that HKS's have the best reputation.
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

HKS all the way.
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

GregGSC, don't come on this board all high and mighty cam god. You know as well as I do that your cam sales only front your cross dressing habits.
LOL I thought you were lost in the Chevy Big block world of racing. Good to see you actually still enjoy the evo enough to stop on by once in awhile cody.

Greg
Old Aug 23, 2005 | 11:54 AM
Account Disabled

From: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Originally Posted by nutrulz
So why aren't GSC's run on every high HP, big name car, seems that HKS's have the best reputation.

i would have to say cause the REAL fast evos have the 280s (which GSC doens't offer) . I have run hks in every manner and my gsc's are better for sure....i currently run 272 intake /264 exhaust....for my mods i think i have the most hp considering my motor is stock besides those cams and a set of headbolts. I am on pump gas and meth injection with stock intake manifold and throttle body also.
The GSC cams are AMAZING GUYS!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=149659

Quick Reply: cam: gsc vs hks