Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

nice, downpipe->o2 bolt stripped?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice, downpipe->o2 bolt stripped?

Was about to install my new DP tonight (this would be the 2nd time these bolts were on their way out of the stock o2 housing) and as I was about to remove the 2nd bolt, it stopped. I thought "oh fock what if it stripped the o2 housing..." so I tugged a bit more, and no go. Decided to just tighten them back up, all seems ok but how the hell am I going to get it out?

And what if it did f up the o2 housing threads?

Have you had this issue and if so, did you replace it or did you re-tap it? Anyone got a link for replacing the o2 housing? Does it require near-total front end disassembly?

Thanks.

-Chris
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:35 PM

Just last week I went to swap my downpipe and I found the previous owner snapped off the bolt into the o2 housing and they just put a C clamp on it to hold it together, I was pissed something fierce. Luckly I had a Helixo2 housing already to go on but it was a bit of work. I pulled the radiator for extra room and we had the front clip off to change i/c pipes but yeah it was time consuming to take it off if you're not an everyday mechanic, but it isn't hard to do, just take your time, pb bust every bolt before hand and Aint-Seige every bolt you put back in.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SqEvoVIII
Just last week I went to swap my downpipe and I found the previous owner snapped off the bolt into the o2 housing and they just put a C clamp on it to hold it together, I was pissed something fierce. Luckly I had a Helixo2 housing already to go on but it was a bit of work. I pulled the radiator for extra room and we had the front clip off to change i/c pipes but yeah it was time consuming to take it off if you're not an everyday mechanic, but it isn't hard to do, just take your time, pb bust every bolt before hand and Aint-Seige every bolt you put back in.
Seriously I need to buy stock in PB

So can you give me a quick run down on what needs to occur to access the housing? I am figuring:

- remove undercarriage tray and all 1,000,000 screw clips
- remove front bumper?
- drain/remove radiator (30 mins?)
- access o2 housing as necessary

Hook me up since you've done this before, I don't wanna do anything unnecessary
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor

don't need to remove the front bumper cover. you should be able to either remove the whole turbo or undo the band clamp that is on the exhaust side of the turbo. Then you can seperate the exhaust housing with O2 still attached and then work on it outside of the car. removing the manifold and radiator will be required.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

I stripped out my o2 housing a while ago, just used a tap to fix it and also ran a die down the bolt to make sure it won't happen again. Use some high temp anti seize when you put it all back together.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loosen the bolt to the point where it gets stuck. Then spray some penetrating lube on the threads. Then try rocking the bolt back and forth, loosening and tightening it, getting the lube in the threads. Hopefully you'll be able to get bolt off after this.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Loosen the bolt to the point where it gets stuck. Then spray some penetrating lube on the threads. Then try rocking the bolt back and forth, loosening and tightening it, getting the lube in the threads. Hopefully you'll be able to get bolt off after this.
Thanks man, that's what I was going to try first.

Compjoc, got any specs for the tap/die sizes? I'd rather do that than go through the pain of replacing the thing...

Thanks guys!!