Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car got towed...not on a flatbed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car got towed...not on a flatbed

Hey All,

Last Thursday, my car got towed from my work. I have a parking spot downstairs in the garage. The lines were being repainted, so everyone had to park up top. Came back from lunch, and there was absolutely no parking available. So, I parked in a spot that was close to the red. My rear end was about 8-10 inches in the red, so I really didn't think it was going to be that big of a deal. Well, to make a long story short, I came out at about 4:30p, and the Evo was gone. Bastages. My car was towed with the rear on the chains, which damaged my brand new lip. It was pretty much scraping on the ground all the way to the tow yard. I am also worried about my center diffs. The car feels fine, but I have been told that 9 out of 10 times, even if it feels ok, most likely the internals are ****ed up. I beleive the tow company is held liable for all this, so I am gonna have to go after them through my insurance company. I already got into a mini white-chick-hissy-fit with the owner about my lip. He was saying he doesn't think the lip was damaged on their part, he thinks it was there all along...

Anyways, my question is this: besides bleeding the drivetrain fluids, how can I really tell if my center diffs went bad?

Has this happened to anyone else before?

I'm pissed!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

file a claim and have someone inspect at their charge. Get a lawyer.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

GET A LAWYER.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
explain what happened and have a mitsu service tech (one who knows evos) inspect it
Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, have it inspected by someone whos knows evos (dealership, aftermarket tuner). Also get a lawyer.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Happened to me. You will need a new transfer case, expect 4500$+ in damages easy. Go through THEIR insurance. Don't listen to what the tow company says about them being not liable: they are. Get a lawyer and sue the **** out of them. Save all your slips, etc.

**** them good. Also have a Mitsu service tech check out the transfer case and ASK TO SAVE THE DIFFERENTIAL FLUID. Have him write that this fluid color is not normal and it is of hs opinion it is broken on the service slip.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Call a lawyer and explain what happened. The first one you call will gladly take the case so make sure you contact a reputable firm.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn!! You know this isn't the first I've heard of this....Oh they are going to pay big time!!

Your car is hurting, so make sure you hurt them back ;-)

Good luck!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Typically when parking lots are repaved they are suppose to give 24 hours notice to the surrounding area. Did they give notices? That is one way to fight the battle.

Now, as far as the damage for the drivetrain I would bring it to Mitsubishi like previously mentioned and have them document any damage. Have your insurance company involved and they SHOULD handle it the correct way. It would be great if you could get them to put the chains back on and lift the vehicle ALMOST to the point it touches the ground to document exactly how the damage could've occured.

Last thing is the tow company should've known that a Mitsubishi Evolution is AWD and towing it like that will cause damage 90% of the time. They should be held responsible for proper care of your vehicle while in their possesion. There is a slim possibility that no damage occured but obviously it's in your and there best interest to check. Tell them that if there is no damage they still need to pay for the inspection of the drivetrain. Lesson learned for them to find out what kind of vehicle they are towing.

What ever you do be professional about the whole thing and if push comes to shove just let your insurance company step in and take care of it. That is what they are here for. They will pursue the matter for your benefit. Pay the deductable and let it work itself out. Good luck.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

****ing own that company!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

I would think that the viscous coupling and the transfer case in general would be pretty well fux0red. Check with John Sheperd or Jon Ripple over at TRE (aka GEARS on EvoM).
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Are you sure they (towing company) didn't use dolleys?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:12 AM

Well you can get a brand new Shepherd T-case Stage 3 for about $3700 shipped. That's what my buddy did when this happened. The stock until is way more expensive than that and aleast you'll get one thats bullet proof.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

This thread is a month old, I hope he got it fixed by now...
Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

I really feel the need to get the AWD sticker more and more.

I would get your car checked out from a reputable tech ASAP.

Quick Reply: Car got towed...not on a flatbed