Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Good lord, another tranny leak, but from where this time?? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good lord, another tranny leak, but from where this time?? HELP!!

Ok, a while back I replaced my clutch and got it back together to find that my transfer case was leaking between the tranny and transfer case. (smashed small o-ring)...anyways, I got that part fixed and now its fine, but now ever since fixing it, I have been having a tranny leak problem around my driver side axle area. I figured it was a bad axle oil seal, so I had that replaced with a new one at the dealership. Well looked under it again today, and you know what?? It's still leaking in that same area...what gives? what can it be coming from?? It is coming from the driver side axle area and is definatly tranny fluid. It runs down the driver side area of the tranny housing and makes the bottom of my tranny damp. You can put your hand right at where the driver axle goes into the tranny and its damp in that area. What could be leaking now? Is there anything else there in that area it could be leaking from beside that oil seal HELP please!!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

wow I cant believe the lack of help on this board sometimes..No one has any thoughts?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

How about the speed sensor or reverse light switch?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 09:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First use some brake cleaner to clean it all up and really confirm that it is really coming from the axle seal. If it is... Get another seal, pull the half shaft, pull the intermediate shaft, install the new seal with some good sealant on the outer edge of the seal. If this fixes your problem, either the factory or your $tealership probably damaged your axle seal race.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
First use some brake cleaner to clean it all up and really confirm that it is really coming from the axle seal. If it is... Get another seal, pull the half shaft, pull the intermediate shaft, install the new seal with some good sealant on the outer edge of the seal. If this fixes your problem, either the factory or your $tealership probably damaged your axle seal race.

ive already replaced the axle seal a couple months ago for this problem.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It was done so in this manner? Or just "replaced"...
Old Aug 24, 2005, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

I have seen that seal on the drivers side go bad a few times. I replaced 2 of them once before it stopped leaking. If you go tthe job done at the dealership then you should still have time to go back and get it repaired under warantee. Sealant wont do anything to stop the leak since it comes from the part that makes contact with the axle.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superz
Sealant wont do anything to stop the leak since it comes from the part that makes contact with the axle.

what area do you speak of?? I cant think of any other area on the tranny on the driver side that it would come from....can you?

The first one i replace didnt look pinched, gouged or bad in any shape or form, but they still replaced it with a new one. Well is it possible for even the new one to leak too? I have a feeling its either coming from somewhere else or something else besides the seal in that area is having problems.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by superz
I have seen that seal on the drivers side go bad a few times. I replaced 2 of them once before it stopped leaking. If you go tthe job done at the dealership then you should still have time to go back and get it repaired under warantee. Sealant wont do anything to stop the leak since it comes from the part that makes contact with the axle.
I've seen them damage the seal seat in the case on the outer edge... so far I've only replaced one seal that just the inner part of seal was bad, and it didn't "look" bad.

Unless the case is cracked, I can't see a leak coming from anywhere else in that area. Go too much higher above the seal in that area, and you are above the fluid level.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

I've seen them damage the seal seat in the case on the outer edge... so far I've only replaced one seal that just the inner part of seal was bad, and it didn't "look" bad.

Unless the case is cracked, I can't see a leak coming from anywhere else in that area. Go too much higher above the seal in that area, and you are above the fluid level.

would something wrong with the axle shaft cause a leak in that area? Im just puzzled by this somehow.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

bump up.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Is your car still under warranty? I'm sure it is...just have the dealer replace whatever is wrong for free unless of course you are modded heavily. Keep in mind, it could be brake fluid as well..check it out. Theyre both the same color and the Brake fluid reservoir is located directly above the left axle area.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

pull the axle out again and inspect the axle. You may have knicked the surface where the seal goes. A knick or deep scratch will cause the leak... good luck!
Old Sep 9, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kuniboy
pull the axle out again and inspect the axle. You may have knicked the surface where the seal goes. A knick or deep scratch will cause the leak... good luck!

if it were to be that, then what would need to be done?
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

bumped

Quick Reply: Good lord, another tranny leak, but from where this time?? HELP!!