Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS 3071 kit finally tuned ... link to info

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ludikraut,
PM me if you are looking for a new RS BOV for cheap, maybe even trade for a garage sale item. Let me know.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:48 PM

those numbers arent bad at all. no racegas numbers?
Old Aug 27, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

I originally wanted to do a racegas tune, but for several reasons I decided against it:
1) The test pipe wasn't on the car
2) I would never run a racegas tune ... not even on a road course w/ racegas in the tank
3) I was already hurting for funds and didn't want to blow the extra cash on a tune that I wasn't going to use (other than for bragging rights, maybe)

l8r)
Old Aug 27, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Call it an insurance policy for road racing ... although I wonder how long it will last once I get the ECU to let me rev it to 9K, which is the ultimate goal.

Mod list:

- Vishnu Signature Series exhaust (3")
- Vishnu HF cat (cat and test pipe converted to full v-band flanges)
- AMS GT3071 turbo kit
- AMS built 2.0 liter (ross pistons, crower rods, built valvetrain)
- AMS FMIC
- K&N intake
- HKS 280 cams
- Vishnu Camgears set to -2 intake / 0 exhaust
- Greddy Type-S BOV
- Vishnu XEDE piggyback
- XEDEflashed ECU
- Innovate LM-1
- Rotorpro rotors/Hawk HPS pads/SS brake lines
- Mitsubishi brake ducts
- Custom brake ducting
- SS clutch line ... STOCK CLUTCH (yes, it's the one the car came with, 32k on the clock)

Also, the goal was not to build a dyno queen or a drag racer ... this setup was built for road racing/street driving and as such it needs to have a conservative tune ... though 376 on pump with a cat ain't too shabby, IMO.

Suspension tuning is next.

l8r)

Very Nice

Old Aug 27, 2005, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I originally wanted to do a racegas tune, but for several reasons I decided against it:
1) The test pipe wasn't on the car
2) I would never run a racegas tune ... not even on a road course w/ racegas in the tank
3) I was already hurting for funds and didn't want to blow the extra cash on a tune that I wasn't going to use (other than for bragging rights, maybe)

l8r)
Smart man! Good job on those numbers as well.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo8act
I am happy for you man. My ams 3071 is getting tuned as we speak and I have 280 cams and meth injection sooI look forward to my results too. Good luck bro.
Hey Evo8act,
How is your car running? You were getting it tuned over two weeks ago. Gnulooks has the same kit and is having all kinds of problems. Can you give us a better story? I'm especially interested in the idle characteristics. What engine management are you using?
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, my full review of the AMS 3071 kit has been posted: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh....php?p=2336653

l8r)
Old Sep 10, 2005, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i kinda feel like you should make more power then that. I dont know the details of your tune but your making 3 less whp then me and 55 less wtq and i'm on a stock turbo. I know I have methanol and run 28 psi on pump gas and your running 21 psi bit my methanol kit was 500$ your turbo is like 3k, no??? Not hating on your numbers or anything I just think it should make more power. basically I think methano would probably give you around 400-410 whp but people have also dont that on stock turbo with methanol. I think the 3071 should make the numbers your making on stock cams, and then with cams should make around 410-430whp on pump and then with meth and 28 psi make around 450-475 whp. I was also tuned on a dynojet so the cars should be similar. I really dont understand why the torque was so low??? I was also tuned in 95 degree weather, IDK if you were too or not. IDK, i'd like to see some MPH traps to see how it does
Old Sep 10, 2005, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^
I mean, he pretty much said he left some power on the table to get a safe road race tune. Not to mention hes running a cat on his car...thats like 10-15 hp right there.

I think your right though, there is more in this setup. And given those two facts right there, I don't think it would be that out of the question for Luda to make 400-410 whp with a testpipe and a more aggressive street/strip tune. But I think hes done it right...I'll leave 25 horse on the table too if it means my car would be tuned right for road-racing.

Last edited by Mercenary3; Sep 10, 2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 05:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
i kinda feel like you should make more power then that. I dont know the details of your tune but your making 3 less whp then me and 55 less wtq and i'm on a stock turbo. I know I have methanol and run 28 psi on pump gas and your running 21 psi bit my methanol kit was 500$ your turbo is like 3k, no??? Not hating on your numbers or anything I just think it should make more power. basically I think methano would probably give you around 400-410 whp but people have also dont that on stock turbo with methanol. I think the 3071 should make the numbers your making on stock cams, and then with cams should make around 410-430whp on pump and then with meth and 28 psi make around 450-475 whp. I was also tuned on a dynojet so the cars should be similar. I really dont understand why the torque was so low??? I was also tuned in 95 degree weather, IDK if you were too or not. IDK, i'd like to see some MPH traps to see how it does
My guess is that this is an extremely conservative tune since this car will be seeing road course duty on pump gas. I agree that I'd expect this car to easily go over 400 whp on 93 and that it should be able to be tuned for more than 21 psi on 93, but that would leave a lot less room for safety.

I do wonder why the power tapers off so much up top. I guess that's the cam gear settings or boost taper from the XEDE boost control.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

congrats! just use 116 oct@30psi of boost and watch the results
Old Sep 11, 2005, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS

Do you honestly have to add your dyno results to every thread that mentions numbers?
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

IMNSHO, it doesn't really matter all that much where my peak numbers ended up being at. As I have stated before, if I was really interested in bragging rights, I'd high-tail it over to some of the known high-reading DynoJet dynos. In any case, with the HF cat still on the car, I ended up being fairly close to where I wanted to be, power-wise. What is much more interesting to me is the shape of the torque curve.

EVO8LTW, there is almost no boost taper. The car has been tuned to initially hit 22-23 psi and hold 21 psi to redline. I could adjust that to hold 23 all the way to redline, but from the tuning we went through, we actually lost some power in the low end by upping the boost and gained a little bit of power up top. If I ever retune the car, I will probably set it up to initially hit 21psi and then have it hold, if not climb to 22-23 psi by redline. IMO that will max out the tune for 93 Octane. It seems that the 3071 does eventually run out of steam up top. Certainly not nearly as much as the stock turbo, but sooner than I would have liked it to. As it stands, I am looking for a way to get ~10 more ft-lbs of torque near the 8000 rpm mark, which will flatten the curve out just enough to move my shift points up at around 8500 rpms. I'm guessing that either an intake manifold or ported head will do the trick, but I have not found out if either of those mods lean towards increasing upper rpm power (which is what I want) or if they make power across the entire curve (not really what I want).

I'm sure I could squeeze more power out of the setup by going to a standalone (bypassing the stock ECU knock sensitivity) ... however I would not feel safe driving a tune like that around on the street 24/7/365. IMO, leaving the stock ECU in the equation gives me that peace-of-mind: safety at the expense of some (IMO not much) power.

l8r)
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Luda,

I to bought the AMS 3071 at the same time that you did. I'm running the 264/264 cams and AEM EMS. This car is an animal on the street. Not seen a dyno with it yet but I'm looking forward to it. People can say what they want to about methanol, stock turbo this and that, but this turbo is no joke. I had my stock turbo running with the same set up putting down 351 awhp on a dynopack @22 psi, and this is no comparison. My logged third gear rolling pulls from about 28 mph to 83 mph disappears in 5.9 seconds (All on 93oct @22psi). Not bad in my opinion. Shifting before hitting my shift light has become a challenge. LONG LIVE THE AMS 3071.

Thanks,
Chris
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fsugatorbait
Do you honestly have to add your dyno results to every thread that mentions numbers?
Unfortunately, yes he does

Quick Reply: AMS 3071 kit finally tuned ... link to info