Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

No Boost, Loud Whining Noise Above 2K RPM~

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Boost, Loud Whining Noise Above 2K RPM~

First of all, I have no performance mods on my car except for a catback exhaust. It's a 2003, with about 25K miles on it.

I was driving around today, when all of a sudden I heard a weird noise coming from the engine bay. It was a LOUD, whining noise that almost sounded like a siren. At first I thought it was the TC, but once I realized there was no boost kicking in I thought it might be a boost leak. The sound starts around 2K rpm, and lasts all the way under the redline while getting louder as the revs start increasing.

I brought it into a shop to have the car checked out and I realized there was no boost leak at all. The mechanic (who used to work at Boch Mitsubishi in Norwood, MA) told me that the turbo is probably shot, since the blades are badly chipped.

Is this true? Has anybody experienced anything like this before? Is there anything else that could be wrong with the car?

Any input would be helpful, and I'm praying they will cover this under warranty. Luckily I didn't put in the ARC intake just yet.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 06:00 PM

I had a similar noise when a bit of air was leaking from my BOV, tightened it up and it went away, however I didn't notice any boost leak.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you leave a socket in the turbo housing? the blades cant be chipped unless you left something in there, its hard to get something in there. did you actually look and see it chipped? I have never heard of such a thing with the blades! I errrrr a mechanic left a 10 mm socket in the turbo of my SAAB before, and had the same results! where did the chipped pieces go? through the head and out the exhaust. Where are your chips? did you mess with the hoses? near the turbo?
Old Aug 26, 2005, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

your warranty CANT be voided, as a cat back is not close to the turbo, or in anyway by inseft able to cause your turbo to blow. it would help it flow "cleaner-smoother". I never heard of a turbo even going bad highly modded, let alone stock!
Old Aug 26, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

I noticed another thing when driving home just now.

The car has no power. It gets stuck around 3K rpm, and won't go up even if I go WOT.

This is really bugging me out. Hopefully a visit to the dealership would clarify everything for me.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had that sound when my 16G went out on my Talon. I pulled it apart and sure enough the turbine blades were making contact on the turbo housing. Just take it to the dealership, and have it checked out. If you are worried about the exhaust, your cat-back is not that difficult to remove and to replace with your stock exhaust.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

check your intercooler pipes, i bet one popped off
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree the turbo is bad. The compressor wheel is contacting the compressor housing which is not allowing it to spin fast enough to make any real boost because of the drag. It is however spinning fast enough to make lots of noise.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JSYEVO
check your intercooler pipes, i bet one popped off

agreed, if all the hoses are still connected then i think your best choice is to take your car to dealer.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input guys. The sound freaked me out at first. I thought the engine was going to explode or something.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

I am sure it will be covered, did you see the chips? post a picture for us if possible!
Old Aug 27, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah i'll bet the turbo is shot! A similar thing happened to my 3037s. I was doing some 30psi tuning runs while using a bad (old) hks air filter and sucked in a bit of it The blades got chipped and bent ever so slightley. A few months later i got the same exact whining sound and noticed that it would only make 4psi.
Bye bye turbo hello new one
Old Sep 2, 2005, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately, Peter Fuller Mitsubishi of Watertown has rejected my warranty claim. They say the catback exhaust caused the turbo failure because it changed the "pressures" of the turbo. The different "pressures" caused the turbine blade to fail. The dealer wants $1600 for a brand new stock turbo, and $500 to install it. I asked for a discount and they refused, saying the car was modified so there's nothing they can do about it.

This is so ironic. When I was looking to buy an Evo, all my friends told me to get another car, saying that Mitsubishi service is horrible and that the Evo breaks too easily. I'm not ready to give up yet. It's just time for me to turn to others to work on my car.

I love this car, and one way or another I'm going to get it up and running again. I'm just not going to pay $2100 to buy and install the factory turbo. I'm leaning towards getting a TME Edition Turbo instead.

Your input and support are greatly appreciated. This website and the members here have always been very kind to me, and now in my darkest hour of Evo ownership I once again turn to you for advice.

Last edited by ChangBang; Sep 2, 2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

I Have a stock one if you are interested. Used but no shaft play.Make offer it is still altogether with the o2 and manifold.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

its a sign!! build up your engine and get a gt35r!!!

Quick Reply: No Boost, Loud Whining Noise Above 2K RPM~