Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

installed my XSPower intercooler this week

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth Ag
I didnt take those pics....i found them while searching on Evom.....so the angle/distance/light quality isnt my fault

XS Power....12 fins per row
AMS.......17fins per row

So probably some better cooling going on there, flow is negotiable.

As for wether or not you need an FMIC upgrade...just like everything else on the evo, you dont need it....but if you want it, your gonna buy it.

Now the question....5-fins per row worth $500 more?

The endtanks are the same, the bar height is the same, the only difference besides weld quality (which is subjective) seems to be the fin density& spacing
there are more than 12 fins per row on the XSP ic. the picture got cut off by the inlet pipe. you can see it in this picture which is the original picture.

Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
I resized the images a bit, and brightened the XS shot...see for yourself!

The AMS core:

Then XS power core:

Looks to me that the AMS core definitely has a higher fin count.

Also keep in mind what was said above by Mitsuorder, the bar sizes are different between the two cores.
I dont know who posted these. But the xs power core I have here (109$ e-bay) has the same internal design as the ams photo above. The turbulators look indentical to the ams design one.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The internal fins appear totally different, that's what is going to determine how good the core is. In short, fin configuration is counted per inch, not row. The AMS has a louvered bump fin and the XS Power appears to have a standard square fin with nothing to "turbulate" the charged air. The less exposure to heat exchanging elements, the less heat will be extracted from the charged air. The XS Power could also have a split internal fin. We just need better photos.

Check out this tutorial by the folks at Nisei:
http://www.niseiengineering.com/imag...erTutorial.swf

They have a better intercooler out but the education part is still relevant.

Last edited by Coolguy949; Nov 14, 2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps the above shot was not of a XS power intercooler core, or maybe they have revised their core design. Who knows.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, I snapped some close up shots of my XSPower IC, looks good to me...

The AMS core: (same as posted above)

my XSPower core:

sorry for the huge size.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like a split fin design on that second shot.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
My core looks like the one alwaysinboost just posted. Actually the xs power design looks to be superior to the ams core. The turbulators have more surface area where they attatch to the tubes. This allows better heat transfer. Also there aren't as many blocks on the ends, just more turbulators.

The downside to the e-bay core is the 2.5 in/outs are cast. They are thick so they wont flow as well as the ams core.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Nov 14, 2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

my endtanks are welded sheet metal. It looks like the in/outs are just 2.5" aluminum piping welded in. It probably has the same ID as any IC pipe.

I hope this puts the IC issue to rest but I don't think it will. some people just don't believe poop smells like poop until the smell it for themselfs.

I think its funny that AMS or any other IC vendor/manufactuer didn't post up any ACTUAL data stating why the XSPower is was crap and their IC was superior and worth the extra price. Instead they all just chose to bash the way it was constructed.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 03:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
my endtanks are welded sheet metal. It looks like the in/outs are just 2.5" aluminum piping welded in. It probably has the same ID as any IC pipe.

I hope this puts the IC issue to rest but I don't think it will. some people just don't believe poop smells like poop until the smell it for themselfs.

I think its funny that AMS or any other IC vendor/manufactuer didn't post up any ACTUAL data stating why the XSPower is was crap and their IC was superior and worth the extra price. Instead they all just chose to bash the way it was constructed.
are you sure the endtanks on your XSP IC are welded sheet aluminum, because from the picture it looks like the outlet is cast. you can see the casting marks on it. can you take a picture of the entanks from a farther distance.

btw, the inside of my IC core looks like yours, not like the first picture someone posted.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

are you still using this intercooler? if so hows it holding up?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

iirc someone told me Devo Tuning out here in Chicago did a comparison of the XSP and AMS intercooler and they turned out to be the same. But I don't have any 'proof' so that doesn't really help much I guess. I do know that Devo's shop cars use these and they make gobs of power with them.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to remember them being big on the dvdt fab fmics.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
the fin orientation within the super huge pic of post #140 looks identical to the fin layout in my turbo xs core.

not certain how many fins per inch are in any of the posted pics. Maybe their listed in a previous post.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by honda-guy
took me about 3 hours yesterday for the install. it was pretty straight forward except you have to cut the under tray because the intercooler hangs about 2 inches lower than stock. the xspower intercooler is considerably heavier than stock, it weighs 25.5 lbs with the lower intercooler pipes. the stock was so light that my digital scale wouldn't register a reading but i guess it's between 5-10lbs. i paid $180 shipped for it on ebay, i've seen other lower intercooler pipes alone go for well over that price. i'll do some data loggin next week and compare the intake air temp with my previous data with the stock intercooler, and hook the wideband back on to see if the air fuel ratio changed any. enjoy the pics.
I have the same XS power unit on my 2005 STI you cant beat the value and performance
Old Nov 21, 2006, 06:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I have the same XS power unit on my 2005 STI you cant beat the value and performance
Using a Dyno Dynamics, now Taiwan made ebay parts? Hell has frozen over!

Quick Reply: installed my XSPower intercooler this week