Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

installed my XSPower intercooler this week

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no it wont reach
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
DrivenToThrill

look how low your IC sits compares to mine (use the fan motor as reference). mount lower brackets first then bend to top bracket so it would line up to the bold on the chassis. the lower IC pipes will fit fine after you have the IC mounted correctly.

bend the top bracket where i marked red

Attached Thumbnails installed my XSPower intercooler this week-image1.jpg  
Old Feb 27, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

As soon as I get one, I will perform a bench test. I was thinking of using a hair dry and two temperature sensors. Any back pressure on the hair dryer will raise the heat output. Of course the better working core will be the one that has a lower intake temp and lower output temp. After the one minute test, the one with the least temperature changes will be the more efficient one. Does this test sound correct? Am I missing something? Let me know.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mercedevo
As soon as I get one, I will perform a bench test. I was thinking of using a hair dry and two temperature sensors. Any back pressure on the hair dryer will raise the heat output. Of course the better working core will be the one that has a lower intake temp and lower output temp. After the one minute test, the one with the least temperature changes will be the more efficient one. Does this test sound correct? Am I missing something? Let me know.
Are you going to put a fan blowing on the core to simulate external airflow? Will you be wearing a lab jacket and rubber gloves? Ok the last one was a joke.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

I might have too. The fan will be position exactly the same distance on both IC's.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:14 AM

Is there an issue with the silicone that comes with the intercooler? That weaved stock hose is notorious for leaking on DSM's is the only reason why I mention this. I also have an e-bay intercooler on my car (DSM) that I'm pretty happy with, but our stock IC is tiny compared to an Evo FMIC .
Old Feb 28, 2007, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

when i installed mine the silicone leaked horrible,, its an easy fix though
Old Mar 1, 2007, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

ok here it goes

Ok I have did what you said HondaGuy, Everything went smoothly until the installation of the LICP. As you can see it is giving me probs. Look under the pass. side front bumper, see that piece I had to remove in order to not bend or crack my bumper? Due to the LICP being bent almost 180 degrees, it will not match upto the rest of the LICP couplers and pipe.

1 The bumper went on fine after taking off that plastic piece.(what is that piece anyways?)
2 All bolt holes lined up great
3 Intercooler is striaght now
4 Lower bracket mounts lined up perfect
5 The couplers were alittle tough to put on the ports of the IC but they went on. I need a different bend in the couplers.
6 I got a swollen right ring finger from the rachet wrench slipping off the bolt.

All I need now is that LICP fix

Anyone wanna trade? LOL

I think I almost got HondaGuy

Dante`
Old Mar 1, 2007, 07:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Did you cut that coupler for the LICP?

You may have the best luck fitting if you get a 6" or so straight piece of silicone there instead. This is what I had to do with this FMIC and the AMS LICP.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

the stock coupler has a 45 deg bend. sice you cut it so short, now you have to mount it straight. you need to get another stock coupler with the right bend or get a different one that has a bend so your lower ICP doesn't point down.
look at the pics of my coupler on that side, it has a bend on it.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

where can I get one that will fit? which stock one is it again? What does it look like LOl
Old Mar 13, 2007, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

ok well i have fought with it since...now the bumper wont go on unless i take off the LICP......when i put the bumper on first i have less than 1/4 inch between the IC port and bumper
Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DrivenToThrill
ok well i have fought with it since...now the bumper wont go on unless i take off the LICP......when i put the bumper on first i have less than 1/4 inch between the IC port and bumper
Same problem I had. I literally forced it on there. It was not fun. The fitment is the only reason I would rather go with a major brand.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

i don't understand how you guys have suck a problem installing this IC. the only thing i has to do was to straighten out the couplers a little, which took about 10 min longer than it should have. there are many others that use this IC on Evo and most seem to have installed right.

DrivenToThrill-
you need to get new oem couplers or couplers with oem fitment. you cut yours too short (shouldn't have to cut it in the first place). the licp will fit fine if you get new couplers.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

i have thats my prob now.....I still have to force it on majorly, It will not go on anyfurther....

Its not reaching the Turbo port

Quick Reply: installed my XSPower intercooler this week