Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

installed my XSPower intercooler this week

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can some not just take the endtake temp. on the cool side of the FMIC and see what the temp diff is after a couple of hard pulls from intercooler to the other
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well lots of intercooler companies use Garrett Cores and I doubt Garret cores are made stateside...or in Japan...
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Sgt Blamo
I spoke with a highly reputable local shop that said several big name racers have been using these exact FMIC's to set some good times in the 1/4 mi w/ hp in the 550-600 range. He further stated that they compared them to the $600-700 priced ones and noticed very little difference.
You DON'T always get what you paid for just because you paid too much!

keep us posted.

Amazing those racers with good times haven't spoken up.

And a +1 on actually having someone test these.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DreamLike1
do you have any idea what you're talking about, because to the rest of us it looks like you're just spouting off at a company who can undercut most of your prices.

Just because something is cheap does NOT always mean its poor quality. You can hire some of the best programmers ever, in Bangalore India for pennies on the dollar. They will accept $4/hour compared to most U.S. programmers that expect $20/hour and higher.

I have heard that several companies like this, have outsourced all of their labor to cheaper areas (china, mexico, india) but still use quality materials and designs. They are often times "knock-offs" from other companies, but can be sold via the internet when they are shipped from countries like china that have hardly any copyright laws.

I could be wrong, but up to this point you havn't shown any facts to support your claim. Someone else in this thread said they have 347 whp and you're here telling us that these intercoolers arn't on any fast cars? Thats a bold statement with very little backing.

Please get your facts straight, and use them next time before you voice off so greatly against a competitor. I would love to see FACTS from people regarding these products so we can get to the bottom of whether or not they're "garbage". Please, supply us those facts...
actually man ssautochrome is very poor quality. over on the honda forums there is a long thread on how crappy ssauto is (http://www.honda-tech.com < search if you want ). all their parts fall apart or break. im sure the upper IC and lower IC piping is fine but its still not that great of quality. like some of the others said the fins could break and to me thats just not a chance i would want to take with my $20k+ evo... on a honda ya i would do it but not now. just my 2cents .

- shane

Last edited by draconx; Sep 11, 2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by draconx
actually man ssautochrome is very poor quality. over on the honda forums there is a long thread on how crappy ssauto is (http://www.honda-tech.com < search if you want ). all their parts fall apart or break. im sure the upper IC and lower IC piping is fine but its still not that great of quality. like some of the others said the fins could break and to me thats just not a chance i would want to take with my $20k+ evo... on a honda ya i would do it but not now. just my 2cents .

- shane
All the parts you are talking about I am aware of like and they are mainly Turbo manifolds, which fall apart because of the thin metal used and the ****ty turbos also, but some brace the manifold and have no problem..and as far as the intercooler goes it works fine.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

draconx...

I'm really not arguing for or against XSPower products, I'm just upset that a few members have spoken out so vehemently even though they have not supplied any hard facts.

Neither side has provided conclusive evidence for or against these products, but I personally cant help but give them the benefit of the doubt. An intercooler I might not purchase from them but certainly a 3" exhaust I don't see the problem.

I have purchased the XSPower 3" Turbo Back exhaust for $350 shipped. I dont see much that can go wrong with an exhaust besides fitment issues (which you'll find on many exhausts) and maybe looks (personal preference).
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DreamLike1
draconx...

I'm really not arguing for or against XSPower products, I'm just upset that a few members have spoken out so vehemently even though they have not supplied any hard facts.

Neither side has provided conclusive evidence for or against these products, but I personally cant help but give them the benefit of the doubt. An intercooler I might not purchase from them but certainly a 3" exhaust I don't see the problem.

I have purchased the XSPower 3" Turbo Back exhaust for $350 shipped. I dont see much that can go wrong with an exhaust besides fitment issues (which you'll find on many exhausts) and maybe looks (personal preference).

Haha I would rather have intercooler than exhaust..the metals they use can become corroded..and your exhaust may fall off like some name brand manufacters which have those problems also like my old catback from my honda lol
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
Haha I would rather have intercooler than exhaust..the metals they use can become corroded..and your exhaust may fall off like some name brand manufacters which have those problems also like my old catback from my honda lol
LOL. yea i could totally see that. if it floats ur boat though go for it man its your car .

- shane
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:15 PM

i dyno'd my car 1 day before an evo dyno day in orlando florida, and i made more power on the same dyno then any other evo with stock turbo and 93+meth(and there was 6 or so of them) and i was the only one on this intercooler.. we were all running around the same psi and had close to same modifications, except the evo's on the dyno day were tuned by turbo trix and i was tuned by ttp
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
it's hard to test hp gain from a fmic on a dyno because it's hard to simulate driving condition on a dyno. you need enough air to pass through the front of the intercooler to make them work efficiently. the best way to judge the effectiveness of an intercooler is to data log on a track and track time of before and after.

AMS claim that SSAC copied their intercooler, but the last time i checked AMS did not invent the intercooler. no one can patent an intercooler because it's a common technology that has been around for ages. if AMS did come up with some miracle formula to generate the specific dimension of an intercooler to maximize it's effectiveness, then by all means patent that formula. it's like saying Megan copied HKS's exhaust because they use same size piping and similar looking muffler. the biggest different that i can see between the AMS ic and the SSAC ic is that the end tanks of the SSAC ic is cast aluminum vs. welded sheet aluminum of the AMS.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The XS-POWER unit is a good value for the money. There is no ill performance related problems or anything that can break on this FMIC. I would actually consider it about 4x stronger than the stocker. Tube and fin design like stock is much weaker and easier for a pebble or debris to poke a hole in those fins.

Anyone that says that the FMIC will break and so on is mad they paid too much for theirs and others found a better deal.

One opinion I do have is that they copied AMS's design which is pretty ****ty of them.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Supra members use the XS Power IC's successfully with little issues.
They even buy full XS power turbo kits and run them.

I have a chinese manifold here that I am looking at.
The metal is pretty thick. The porting inside isn't great.
However, considering the price difference, you really can't go wrong.

It doesn't mean I'm gonna run out and buy this stuff, but definately for piping and exhaust. Pipe is pipe. As long as it holds air, who cares who made it.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The XS-POWER unit is a good value for the money. There is no ill performance related problems or anything that can break on this FMIC. I would actually consider it about 4x stronger than the stocker. Tube and fin design like stock is much weaker and easier for a pebble or debris to poke a hole in those fins.

Anyone that says that the FMIC will break and so on is mad they paid too much for theirs and others found a better deal.

One opinion I do have is that they copied AMS's design which is pretty ****ty of them.
it's about time a vendor speak up with some unbiased opinion about this intercooler.

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
Supra members use the XS Power IC's successfully with little issues.
They even buy full XS power turbo kits and run them.
i wouldn't go as far as using their turbo kit. i've seen many case where the turbo doesn't last too long (less than 1k miles).
Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:00 AM
Former Sponsor

No vendors want to actually test this thing because if it is any good then everyone will buy it. That would be a huge way to lose market on a higher dollar item.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
No vendors want to actually test this thing because if it is any good then everyone will buy it. That would be a huge way to lose market on a higher dollar item.
Hahah I dont think they would test it and post factual results anyways because it would probably dent their business.

Quick Reply: installed my XSPower intercooler this week