Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

installed my XSPower intercooler this week

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if buschur did a test I would trust his results.

like it was already said above, its very hard to test an IC. You really have to have logged your car on the track for a while and know how much boost/timing you can safely run. Then switch JUST the IC and see if you can increase the tune safely.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
if buschur did a test I would trust his results.

like it was already said above, its very hard to test an IC. You really have to have logged your car on the track for a while and know how much boost/timing you can safely run. Then switch JUST the IC and see if you can increase the tune safely.
Buschur stated many times that he has no interest in testing this intercooler in other post. mainly because he respects AMS and know that if the result for this intercooler came out good, AMS would loose out. not to mention that Buschur has his own intercooler to sale. even if his intercooler came out on top with an extra 5-10 whp, i doubt there would be many people willing to pay 4 times for an extra 5-10 whp. i respect Burchur because he always speaks the truth and has contribute a lot to this community but i don't think he would do something that could potentially hurt his business.

Last edited by honda-guy; Sep 12, 2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DreamLike1
draconx...

I'm really not arguing for or against XSPower products, I'm just upset that a few members have spoken out so vehemently even though they have not supplied any hard facts.

Neither side has provided conclusive evidence for or against these products, but I personally cant help but give them the benefit of the doubt. An intercooler I might not purchase from them but certainly a 3" exhaust I don't see the problem.

I have purchased the XSPower 3" Turbo Back exhaust for $350 shipped. I dont see much that can go wrong with an exhaust besides fitment issues (which you'll find on many exhausts) and maybe looks (personal preference).
You can get the exhaust for $230 shipped off Ebay.

And someone actually just created a thread comparing this exhaust to 6 others, and came to the conclusion that is was made from the same material, had very nice welds, fit perfectly, and was barely louder than stock. The only downside was the stubby looking resignating cansiter; which really doesn't even phase me.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It will take some time, but eventually the truth will come out. This winter I will be doing a series of modifications, including the FMIC. I will log the (post intercooler) intake temperatures on the stock unit, and the XS unit via an aftermarket intake temperature sensor hooked up to my laptop. It is very obvious that this intercooler will perform better. There is simply more surface area and volume. The construction and welding quality is very questionable, and its overall weight kind of sucks, but for the price you can't beat it. If no one has any hard core numbers by december, I will post my results.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The core used in this i/c is a diesel oil cooler core. A close friend of mine who worked for a reputable tuner in the Bay Area, who by the way did not sell their own i/c, cut one open when they first hit ebay for our cars.

The Evolution has a rather unique demographic. It is within the price range of those coming from less expensive vehicles yet is looked at as a track day toy by those coming from the upper tier. For those of us left in the middle ground it is apparent that this creates a feuding public.

Many feel that anything spent over what is offered to them in their price range is idiotic. Many feel that you must buy the big names or you're worthless. There are times to cut and times to chin up and pay the buck.

The bottom line is that, yeah you can go out and buy an intercooler made out of a core not designed for air to air heat exchange off of ebay. Sure you can pick up a set of the cheapest coil overs offered and hollar about them like a highschool kid leaving a TJ ***** house. You can even purchase a turboback with a stamped steel muffler and riveted tail pipe for the price of most catbacks. But remember that buying twice is no fun. On the other hand I can think of any better way to teach yourself a lesson in common sense.

edited: I'm correcting myself it was a diesel oil cooler core

Last edited by mitsuorder; Sep 12, 2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive been using catback for over a year now, and fmic for about 4-5months, no problem. I got also o2 and exhaust mani. (so far no problem's) and i dyno my car on 100 octane and tuned with safc2 - 380whp, and 358 TQ. Now iam on EcuFlash and going to tune it with 110 and 28psi - Iam on evo9 20G 6 blade Turbo.

I invested $2300 in my car as far performance parts. Hell for that money i think its pretty good! if my mani will crack i will buy something better. Like everyone says "You get what you pay for," i'am pretty happy.

Last edited by tweakdsm; Sep 12, 2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuorder
The core used in this i/c is a diesel radiator overflow core. Cal cut one open when he was at Gruppe-S back when these first hit the market for our cars. A close friend of mine who worked for a reputable tuner near by at the time, who by the way did not sell their own i/c, was standing there with him.

The Evolution has a rather unique demographic. It is within the price range of those coming from less expensive vehicles yet is looked at as a track day toy by those coming from the upper tier. For those of us left in the middle ground it is apparent that this creates a feuding public.

Many feel that anything spent over what is offered to them in their price range is idiotic. Many feel that you must buy the big names or you're worthless. There are times to cut and times to chin up and pay the buck.

The bottom line is that, yeah you can go out and buy an intercooler made out of a core not designed for air to air heat exchange off of ebay. Sure you can pick up a set of the cheapest coil overs offered and hollar about them like a highschool kid leaving a TJ ***** house. You can even purchase a turboback with a stamped steel muffler and riveted tail pipe for the price of most catbacks. But remember that buying twice is no fun. On the other hand I can think of any better way to teach yourself a lesson in common sense.
In what way is this core NOT designed for air to air heat exchange? Any details? Again, rumors mean nothing unless we actually have proof.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
mitsuorder,

in what way can you distinguish the difference between a radiator over flow core vs. a standard bars/plates ic core. i've used and seen many bars/plates ic core (at least 25) and i didn't notice anything different with the XSPower ic core. i didn't cut one open but from what i can tell by looking through the inlet and outlet port. i’m not saying that it’s not the case, i just want to be educated.

also, if the core was design for a radiator over flow, i don't think it would be able to handle 30+ psi of pressure that other members on here had ran this ic with.

Last edited by honda-guy; Sep 12, 2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

there have been a couple of different ebay type IC's on the market. One of them is without a doubt a cut down radiator (tube & fin design). The good one, which I have, is a bar and plate core... buyer beware.

I am done posting in this thread now. I've given my own personal experience.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:50 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Wow, now I'm really tempted into getting one especially at that price. I could probably sell the LICP and make my money back.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Agree, IF you look inside of the FMIC, (side) you can see sections, which is the good one, someone told me there are few fmic on ebay with just fins inside without any sections (that one is bad)
Old Sep 12, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

I'm seeing a more general consensus here that these are legitimate intercoolers, especially if you know which ebay intercooler to buy.

I think however, that you will always have people that demand the most expensive item on the market so I dont expect we'll see buscher and AMS going out of business here. But for those who really dont care about image (I myself), these ebay items could be a great alternative to an (imo) overly priced cat back or intercooler.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

The core used in this i/c is a diesel radiator overflow core. Cal cut one open when he was at Gruppe-S back when these first hit the market for our cars. A close friend of mine who worked for a reputable tuner near by at the time, who by the way did not sell their own i/c, was standing there with him.

You are not talking about the same IC that we are...in now way is this a cut down radiator core...it is a bar and plate.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 03:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just verified that it didn't have a radiator overflow core, it was an oil cooler core. It's been a while since this topic had come to attention. It was the intercooler that XSPower was originally selling. The fear was of the possiblity of the oil cooler core coming apart due to the velocity of air it would be exposed to and being ingested into the engine. If sectioned cores are now being used then more power to them.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just verified that it didn't have a radiator overflow core, it was an oil cooler core. It's been a while since this topic had come to attention. It was the intercooler that XSPower was originally selling. The fear was of the possiblity of the oil cooler core coming apart due to the velocity of air it would be exposed to and being ingested into the engine. If sectioned cores are now being used then more power to them.
So oil coolers now come bar and plate? I thought they all came tube fin well the only ones I have seen....because the XS cores are definetly bare and plate.

Quick Reply: installed my XSPower intercooler this week