Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Forge Wastegate actuator?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forge Wastegate actuator?

Can anyone on here tell me how well the Forge wastegate actuator. DOes boost creep on it. How strong is it for boost. And is it worth the money over the stock one.
If these ?s could be addressed or other things i should know about this wastegate.

Thanks
Old Aug 31, 2005, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

The actuators are designed to be upgradeable units and are available built with 1 of 4 different springs to achieve a desired base setting.

Our springs are color coded and I have listed their estimated settings below.

Green - 5-10 PSI
Yellow - 10-15 PSI
Blue - 14-18 PSI
Red - 19-24 PSI

(all ranges are based on the levels of adjustment within the turnbuckle at the end of the actuator rod)

Depending upon which spring is used and whether or not a mechanical or electronic boost controller is used, you can typically use a lower setting on your boost controller while achieving the same, or higher boost output than when using the OEM actuator and the same settings on the boost controller. While using the OEM boost control solenoid, you will not notice any increase in pressure as the solenoid will just bleed off any additional amount you are trying to make.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make the above statement a little easier to understand:

Assume, for argument's sake, that your OEM actuator has a spring tension of 10 PSI and you are using a boost controller to achieve 21 PSI. Essentially, your boost controller is delaying the signal to your actuator and adding 11 PSI.

Now, let's say that you switch to one of our actuators and use the Blue colored spring (14-18 PSI). If no changes are made to the settings of your boost controller (left at an 11 PSI increase) you will now be making at least 24-25 PSI.

You can now turn your boost controller down to get back to 21 PSI.

This allows for a wider range of adjustment within your boost controller as the new uprated spring in the actuator is taking over more of the work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When used by themselves, without the aid of a boost controller, the boost will always taper, but the actuator should allow for slightly quicker spool depending upon which spring is used.

Another nice feature of the units is that each individual component can be replaced if required, whereas the OEM actuator becomes a paperweight if any part of it fails requiring that an entirely new unit be sourced.

All of our products are manufactureed in-house at our facility in Gloucester UK under ISO Quality Control Standard 9001 and we offer a Lifetime No Hassle Warranty on all of our products ensuring that any problems will result in a repair, a replacement, or a refund.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by unknown2
Can anyone on here tell me how well the Forge wastegate actuator. DOes boost creep on it. How strong is it for boost. And is it worth the money over the stock one.
If these ?s could be addressed or other things i should know about this wastegate.

Thanks
We are putting one on our 05 shop car as i write this we will do a whole writeup on it.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This actuator with the Perrin EBCS would be the ticket for those of us who want to continue to use a bleed type boost control.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
I'm running this with the prototype SS55 and it is a great unit. It holds higher boost much better than stock and we don't have any problems with creep. We ran 26 psi peak and it held almost all the way to redline. At 8000 rpm boost had only dropped to 25.4 psi.

Also, the guys at Forge are great to work with. We were initially shipped the actuator with the blue spring by mistake and they sent red one out imediately after the problem was discovered. I bought mine from Buschur and as always they were great.

Last edited by robertrinaustin; Aug 31, 2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTech
This actuator with the Perrin EBCS would be the ticket for those of us who want to continue to use a bleed type boost control.
What if im using a hallman MBC i shouldn't need the Perrin EBCS since it is no longer hooked up right.

And Mike@Forge' do all the color springs come with the Actuator. and one more quick ? is the jdm MR BOV is that good for around 25psi or will i damage it. I run 25psi on the weekends or do you recommend a different kind. If this one is not
good enough i would like a good rec. or a open atmisphere valve but i prefer the rec.

Thanks agains everyone
Old Aug 31, 2005, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Our actuators can be used with any type of boost controller, either mechanical or electronic, however, I cannot comment on how the actuator will respond with a given boost controller.

Only one standard spring is included with the unit. Each additional spring is available separately for a cost of $16 each or any actuator can be custom ordered with a spring of your choosing.

As far as what valve to use, that is entirely up to the individual person. Every valve is different and is capable of handling a certain amount of boost. If the JDM MR valve works for you at that pressure, great. If not, any valve that is capable of more should be sufficient but a recirc. valve is always best.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

I have considered trying one of these actuators, but I'm not yet convinced it will improve my performance. I have verified that I am now limited by the WG blowing open rather than a boost control issue, or the compressor being maxed out. Airflow peaks at ~42 lbs/minute in cooler weather, and ~40-41 lbs/min in warmer weather. I considered trying this actuator to determine which of those two potential causes is the one. It's a good bit of money to spend on an experiment though

According to the logged 3.5 bar sensor boost peaks in third at 24.8 and drops linearly to 20.9 by the end, using third gear as an example. This is with no boost controller connected, relying solely on exhaust manifold pressure to open the WG (try this at your own risk ). Boost response in that 3rd gear is 300 rpm from clutch up to full recovery, which seems a bit slow for this (stock) turbo and no lift shifting. I have also installed the stock BOV backwards at the track to eliminate that as a leak (there is no measureable increase in traps). Boost leak test in this configuration is solid up to pressure in the high 20s. The backwards BOV doesn't have a noticeable effect on boost recovery time with the no lift shifting, in fact at a 6k rpm stutter it holds 15.x psi between gears. But I have not done back to back logs to see if there is a measurable difference with the BOV's direction. It should not be opening on a NLTS anyway.

I would expect airflow to be more linear, since airflow/time is probably what determines exhaust manifold pressure (I think), but it rises linearly from 37.9 to 41.6 lbs/min, again using 3rd gear from the same log. I need to think more about that...

The post above stating that boost was 26 psi dropping to 25.4 is promising. But I would like to see what airflow did in that example. A couple years ago when I was running 12.0s on a 16g in the 2g I wired the WG shut. While boost held at 24 psi rather than droping to 19 and airflow went up 2 lbs/min, performance (at the track) was unchanged. I heard a trustworthy source say that at the point that the internal gate blows open exhaust manifold to intake manifold pressure ratio is probably so high that you are not going to find much more power anyway. Which is why I am unsure if this upgraded actuator will increase performance, even if it does raise boost.

SOB, I might just have to try this... If anyone else has some solid data I would love to hear about it.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

I can sincerely appreciate that you are looking for a component that costs $170 to increase your performance, however, that is not it's sole intention.

When we first started making these actuators in the UK almost 5-6 years ago (for Ford Cosworths), they were solely designed to be an OEM replacement component. Once we started using different springs in them, the performance aspect became a nice selling point, but the "performance" will vary under every circumstance and on every application based on numerous other aspects of which will never always be consistent.

We consider one of the biggest selling points of the product to be it's adjustability and modular constuction. The adjustability factor of which will always vary the amount of "performance increase".

Having the interchangeable springs can potentially improve performance depending upon which is used, however every user will likely setup (choose a different spring) and adjust their actuator differently depending on their individual needs, so you will never find a consistent "coefficient" of "improved performance".

ANY component of the actuator can be replaced if a failure occurs where as the entire OEM actuator becomes a paperweight if any component fails.

Again, while this product has the potential to improve performance, the various springs and levels of adjustment of this product provide for infinite outcomes.

Consider the product one that allows for customization to YOUR needs and one that can be used as YOU desire it to be, and that might help justify the costs.

Furthermore, we recently just added some features to the Evo specific actuator showing our commitment to improvement:

- The bracket is now bolted to the actuator body instead of welded on allowing for removal or individual replacement if required.

- The brakcket now also incorporates a "drain" hole to allow any rain water or other material to be removed from the bracket given it's position in the engine bay that can act as a "cup".

- The diaphragm material is now 1mm thicker than previous to improve reliability.

- The diaphragm cups are now beveled instead of angled to prevent any unnecessary wear on the diaphragm
Old Sep 8, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
I can sincerely appreciate that you are looking for a component that costs $170 to increase your performance, however, that is not it's sole intention.
I do understand that what I need this actuator upgrade to do is probably not exactly what it was intended for. But I was hoping someone might have been in the same boat as me, considering how easily this turbo is maxed out, and could provide some data. The comment about the 170 was simply to say that 170 is too much to gamble on something that I'm not sure will help. If it did help, it would be well worth it. I don't need any of it's other advantages. The car only has ~6k miles, and I don't plan on keeping this turbo much longer
Old Sep 8, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Correct me If I'm wrong but with a MBC don't you cap off the 2 outlets on the wastegate actuator??? Wouldnt it be pointless then to upgrade it if you already have a MBC???
Old Sep 8, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Thats not the actuator, I think its the stock solenoid.

Mike, what spring comes with the unit?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

well then whoever drew up the DIY diagram has it labled wrong... here is the link....

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=116017&page=1

you can see why I was mislead, See where it says wastegate actuator, should actually be the solenoid?

Last edited by dan628; Sep 8, 2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Thats not the actuator, I think its the stock solenoid.

Mike, what spring comes with the unit?
We normally supply the Evo specific actuators with the Blue colored spring (14-18 PSI), however, they can be built with any other spring upon request.

Each additional spring is available separately for $16 if anyone wanted to change it themselves at a later date..
Old Sep 8, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to try to get pictures of the new updated unit tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Forge Wastegate actuator?