Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3" Downpipes that reuse stock donut gasket...AND FIT '05

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2005, 04:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the Turbo XS or AMS ones are your best bet
Old Sep 3, 2005, 05:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Why in the hell would you like the stock donut gasket? As far as I am concerned the Works Downpipe not only fits the 05 well but it also comes with a huge donut wich is a good 20% bigger than the stock.

Basicly what I am trying to say is that if you resuse the stock donut you would not unleash all the flow that a 3" downpipe could produce due to the restriction you are imposing on the stock donut diameter, You know what I mean?
The stock donut gasket goes around the outside of the protruded flange casted into the stock o2 housing. The gasket itsself isnt the restriction, the O2 housing is. Our downpipe does not bolt up to the stock cat. It is only 2.5" and would cause a bottle neck in the 3" system.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo4
FromWRXtoEVO? Just wondering are you running the stock cat with that setup?
The first day I ordered the 3"Downpipe from WORKS I also ordered a Works 3"HF cat and a 3" cat delete.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsnt
The stock donut gasket goes around the outside of the protruded flange casted into the stock o2 housing. The gasket itsself isnt the restriction, the O2 housing is. Our downpipe does not bolt up to the stock cat. It is only 2.5" and would cause a bottle neck in the 3" system.
You are correct on that, not only the donut is a restriction but also the o2 housing outlet. The last thing I need is freakin Works to release their promised "it will be release soon o2 housing".
Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

I was just told by ams that thier downpipe would only work on an 05 if you removed your lower braces.

And the helix dp doesnt even fit right on an 03, how would it work for an 05? I tried everything from banging dents in the top of it, adjusting it down, adding extra gaskets, and even the kartboy hangers, and it still rattled against the pan.

I now have a 2.75 tanabe and it fits great. No spacers needed.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rACerS
I was just told by ams that thier downpipe would only work on an 05 if you removed your lower braces.

And the helix dp doesnt even fit right on an 03, how would it work for an 05? I tried everything from banging dents in the top of it, adjusting it down, adding extra gaskets, and even the kartboy hangers, and it still rattled against the pan.

Originally Posted by Brian_H
I have an AMS turbo back and it fit perfectly on my 05.
It fit fine, but occassionally would knock one of the lower braces. One .20 washer on each side fixed that. No need to remove anything.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

So you tried the Helix on an '05 then?? I know it didn't work on my '03.

Joey
Old Sep 4, 2005, 05:33 AM
Account Disabled

FWIW I have not once had a Helix downpipe returned to me for non-fitment. The first version did have fitment issues, and these continued into earlier this year as people sold off old stock. The 2nd versions fit all models of the car including the MR and the '05's. I have installed a fair amount of them at this point, and sold tons. This was the sole reason we did not beging to carry the Helix downpipe till the newer version was released

Tanabe is anothe great downpipe...very nicely made
Old Sep 4, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
FWIW I have not once had a Helix downpipe returned to me for non-fitment. The first version did have fitment issues, and these continued into earlier this year as people sold off old stock. The 2nd versions fit all models of the car including the MR and the '05's. I have installed a fair amount of them at this point, and sold tons. This was the sole reason we did not beging to carry the Helix downpipe till the newer version was released

Tanabe is anothe great downpipe...very nicely made

This was the second version of the Helix downpipe that I had. And I dont know why you havent had any of them returned. You can do a search under helix products, and you will find nothing but people saying that thier exhaust rattles or bangs sometimes. But most of the people dont care, so I guess thats why they dont bring them back?

If the helix pipe hung lower it would be no problem to space the bars down. But mine was just to high, and there isnt anything that you can do about that. Who knows maybe I got a bad one.

No I havent tried it on an 05, But I just figured if it didnt work on an 03 then it probably wouldnt work on an 05?

Then again it could have been the angle of the flange on my catback or the angle of the testpipe flange. The downpipe would clear everything fine until I bolted it up to the catback, and then it would push the dp up into the pan.

I should have said that the Helix dp didnt work for me.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

It fit fine, but occassionally would knock one of the lower braces. One .20 washer on each side fixed that. No need to remove anything.
I wonder why they wouldnt just include spacers with thier dp instead of telling people that you cant use the lower tie bars with thier dp? Thats the only reason that I havent bought a full ams tb exhaust. I hate products that dont fit as good as oem parts
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

This was the second version of the Helix downpipe that I had. And I dont know why you havent had any of them returned. You can do a search under helix products, and you will find nothing but people saying that thier exhaust rattles or bangs sometimes. But most of the people dont care, so I guess thats why they dont bring them back?
That I think is a true statement.

If the helix pipe hung lower it would be no problem to space the bars down. But mine was just to high, and there isnt anything that you can do about that. Who knows maybe I got a bad one.

No I havent tried it on an 05, But I just figured if it didnt work on an 03 then it probably wouldnt work on an 05?

Then again it could have been the angle of the flange on my catback or the angle of the testpipe flange. The downpipe would clear everything fine until I bolted it up to the catback, and then it would push the dp up into the pan.

I should have said that the Helix dp didnt work for me.
On my '03 it did rattle like crazy. It was rubbing on the cross-member brace.
However, EVIL EVO VIII - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...8&page=2&pp=15 said he put his Helix DP on and it fit the '05. Just not enough info?? I think I'll try getting mine back and give it a go. If it rubs, I'll be back on here to tell you it does.

Joey
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I wonder why they wouldnt just include spacers with thier dp instead of telling people that you cant use the lower tie bars with thier dp? Thats the only reason that I havent bought a full ams tb exhaust. I hate products that dont fit as good as oem parts
It's not that hard to go out and pick up two washers on your own. But I'm sure if that was going to be the deciding factor you could tell them that and they'll throw in two washers for free. Hell they may throw in four.

As for stock fittament, I'm sure there wouldn't be as much of an issue if you bought a 2.5" turboback. The car wasn't designed with intentions of people putting 3" exhausts on it so there's not exactly a lot of room to work with.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

As for stock fittament, I'm sure there wouldn't be as much of an issue if you bought a 2.5" turboback. The car wasn't designed with intentions of people putting 3" exhausts on it so there's not exactly a lot of room to work with.
Mistake number one....buying a 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust for my DSM. Why you ask? Because later on I went out and bought a full 3" system to go with my much bigger turbo.
The main reason ppl usually by a 3" system is because they will eventually upgrade to a bigger turbo. Will 2.5" be good enough?? Yes, but I'd say if you plan on staying with the stock turbo and you then replace it with a stock like turbo.

If you look at the helix installed on my '03, it would have only had to come down maybe an 1/8 - 1/4" and that's all, because it was about 1 1/2" from the brace bars. Then it would have been a perfect fit. Just a little more R&D helix....
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Well I installed the Helix on my '05. It barely clears the TC and still hits on the crossmember. So I decided to take a hammer and play 'hit your new car' with the area it was contacting. Well that seemed to work, however, it may be ocasionally hiting the TC...not sure if I'm just hearing things or what. I'll see what I can see in a week.

Is there going to be a problem with the exhaust so close to the TC?? Heating up the TC more than it should be??

Joey
Old Sep 7, 2005, 09:19 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jo & Joey
Well I installed the Helix on my '05. It barely clears the TC and still hits on the crossmember. So I decided to take a hammer and play 'hit your new car' with the area it was contacting. Well that seemed to work, however, it may be ocasionally hiting the TC...not sure if I'm just hearing things or what. I'll see what I can see in a week.

Is there going to be a problem with the exhaust so close to the TC?? Heating up the TC more than it should be??

Joey
Please don't do this.(not saying it is horrible but you shouldn't need to do this)

I am amazed and the amount of low quality parts there are out there for this car. I am even more amazed that people allow it. If you buy any of these parts from us and they do not fit please call me before modifying your car.

We have had some minimal problems with the helix DP Kartboy hangers can help/fix the problems in some cases.

With the Helix downpipe I would be more worried about elevated oil temps. Ours sat very close to the oil pan. That is one of the main reasons we decided to switch to the TurboXS. I would change you Gear Oil after 5k miles and see how it is holding up. If you are worried about it I would recommend putting some exhaust wrap around the downpipe in that area.

Ben

Quick Reply: 3" Downpipes that reuse stock donut gasket...AND FIT '05