Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

SS manifolds Cracking.....What causes them to break?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2005, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's an explanation taken from the Burns Stainless site on why 304 stainless tends to crack more at elevated temperatures than 321 stainless:

What happens is this: when chromium-nickel steel is heated to a temperature range of 800° to 1590°F, the carbon in the steel combines with chromium to form chromium carbides. This transformation is called carbide precipitation and reduces the corrosion resistance of the steel. The chromium is reduced in this heat-affected area and makes the steel subject to what is known as intergranular corrosion. Some stainless steels are known as low carbon grades to minimize this carbide precipitation; others, such as 321, are special alloys that reduce carbide precipitation by combining and stabilizing the chromium at elevated temperatures.
http://www.burnsstainless.com/TechAr...s_article.html

It's also worth noting that if you wrap even 321 stainless headers and your EGT is above 1600*F, you're pushing the metal past the specification limit for intermittant service in air published by most 321 stainless manufacturers. Without the heat-wrap, the metal itself will probably stay below that limit.

(For the sake of reference, Haynes Waspaloy, a superalloy which is even more resistant to heat than Inconel and WAY more resistant than 321 stainless, is only 46% as strong at 1600*F than at room temperature.)

The 8-guage stainless Peak Boost is thicker than most stainless steel header pipes; most of the time 16-guage is considered "thick" for a header pipe.

Thicker is better ... or at least it usually is.

-Adrian

Last edited by SaabTuner; Sep 5, 2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 05:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Derek888
can you use the stock radiator, seems like it will touch the manifold? sorry for the OT. btw check your pm.

That is beautiful, how much is something like that? Are looking for sponsored rides
Old Sep 5, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

321SS = 304SS + Ti. 304L/316L afe forms of austenitic SS with low carbon content.

The titanium in 321SS "grabs" the carbon in the metal forming TiC thus reducing the Cr depletion in the heat affected zone

there are alot of high temp/strength nickel alloys out there..haynes, inco that can be made into headers; price is high and few will buy

Last edited by edwin; Sep 5, 2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blueo4
Ha Ha It Is Just Cheap. Bought One, Added No Power, Sold It After 3 Weeks, Lost $50 Instead Of $250 And Shipping.
Port The Stock One , High Temp It At Home Or Get Buschur
Hey remember me the **** you sold me is junk and has leaks all over I was just going to take the lost but then you post this.....I should get a refund...
Old Sep 5, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blueo4
Ha Ha It Is Just Cheap. Bought One, Added No Power, Sold It After 3 Weeks, Lost $50 Instead Of $250 And Shipping.
Port The Stock One , High Temp It At Home Or Get Buschur
WOW I see a lie here is his link https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=148270

states! Item is in great working condition! Please note that pics were taken at the time it was taken off of the car and was a little hot! Item was used for one weekend at the track and then removed because my dealer did not want to service the vehicle with it!
My car has 15000 miles and with 30+k to go I have no need for this now! That is the sole reason it is for sale! I drive less than 10 miles to and from work every day!
I painted the cast black with high temp paint to limit the rust that may have came as with the case with most manifolds! It looks great and works excellent!
Car pulled harder mid and top end!

$150 shipped!

Last edited by PHILLY EVO; Sep 5, 2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 06:25 PM
Account Disabled

Buyer Beware, you have no legal course of action.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PeakBoost ken
we do

PeakBoost manifold 321ss 8 gauge stainless steel, lifetime warranty.
scheduled for release 9/15/05.

let me know if you have any questions

Dayuum! Sh*t looks nice man, great job! Nice welds! I hope you post some ++ numbers.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by edwin
321SS = 304SS + Ti. 304L/316L afe forms of austenitic SS with low carbon content.

The titanium in 321SS "grabs" the carbon in the metal forming TiC thus reducing the Cr depletion in the heat affected zone

there are alot of high temp/strength nickel alloys out there..haynes, inco that can be made into headers; price is high and few will buy
Yup.

304L/316L are generally used in boats where extremely corrisive saltwater environments would break down the higher carbon stainless grades.

Last time I checked, the complete price just in materials for an Inconel 4-cyllinder turbo manifold was around $1500. However, that included inconel welding wire, inconelk double-slip joints, inconel flange and a parametrically designed inconel collector.

Inconel headers are only really usefull on most cars if you have inconel exhaust valves and an inconel turbine wheel. If you do, 1850*F is your new EGT limit. If you make it all out of Haynes 188 Alloy instead, 2000*F is your new limit.

-Adrian
Old Sep 5, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SaabTuner
Yup.

304L/316L are generally used in boats where extremely corrisive saltwater environments would break down the higher carbon stainless grades.

Last time I checked, the complete price just in materials for an Inconel 4-cyllinder turbo manifold was around $1500. However, that included inconel welding wire, inconelk double-slip joints, inconel flange and a parametrically designed inconel collector.

Inconel headers are only really usefull on most cars if you have inconel exhaust valves and an inconel turbine wheel. If you do, 1850*F is your new EGT limit. If you make it all out of Haynes 188 Alloy instead, 2000*F is your new limit.

-Adrian
for saltwater applications, 316SS(304SS + more nickel + molybdenum) is prefered as it will resist pitting corrosion from chlorides better.

when tig welding, surface prep is very important. any grease, crap will contaminate the weld and make it less strong. for real critical welding like ti parts, the welding gas-argon, argon/helium has to be UHP grade typically 5N grade...99.999% purity or the residual nitrogen, oxygen, water vapor will again make the well less strong
Old Sep 5, 2005, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PHILLY EVO
WOW I see a lie here is his link https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=148270

states! Item is in great working condition! Please note that pics were taken at the time it was taken off of the car and was a little hot! Item was used for one weekend at the track and then removed because my dealer did not want to service the vehicle with it!
My car has 15000 miles and with 30+k to go I have no need for this now! That is the sole reason it is for sale! I drive less than 10 miles to and from work every day!
I painted the cast black with high temp paint to limit the rust that may have came as with the case with most manifolds! It looks great and works excellent!
Car pulled harder mid and top end!

$150 shipped!
ok . I had 2. You bought the used 1 for $150. I sold the one I put a Egt hole in and high temp coat for $250. now what?

Last edited by blueo4; Sep 5, 2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PHILLY EVO
Hey remember me the **** you sold me is junk and has leaks all over I was just going to take the lost but then you post this.....I should get a refund...
refund after mths of use? you must be fckin crazy! you got an item like new. stop your crying.

Thats why I keep my parts so I dont have to deal with cry babies. Hel! I dont need the money! Grow up PO. You can never say I sold you an item that was not in like new condition. It was free from any cracks, had all the hardware and you were given specific instructions stating that if you use the SS supplied gasket it will leak. I told you you have to use the stock gasket with high temp gasket seal for a trouble free install. Alot of guys including 2 of my local buddies use this item with no problem. They beat the **** out of their car in auto x and the drag strip. It just was not for me as I prefer to spend the extra money because I can afford to. There were pictures posted of all angles of the item. I bet if you decide to sell it you could get 200 shipped for it and even make 50 on what you paid.
Dont go calling out people. As a PO you should know that people have the right to say what they want and know that I have a $900 manifold thats how I feel. Thousands of guys on here use it without any problems. I am running 24psi and it was just not for me. On the other hand my boys are still stock and one with a custom set up use it and love it. People swear by injen intake which i had one but now that i have a AMS pipe kit I can say that they suck because I have the right to because I paid my money for the other and have used both. Just my opinion.

Last edited by blueo4; Sep 5, 2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It took me over a year to crack my SS manifold... beating the **** out of it! Even then it was do to my own bonehead move. I misplaced a manifold nut off of the head flange while doing a WR install. My car was close and the customer was a late do to unforeseen circumstances. My dumb *** figured if it survived glowing orange in the freezing rain, it would be ok to pull a nut off while it was warm to get the customer under way. WRONG ANSWER! Cracked the outer two tubes right there. Oh well, not like I didn't know better. However, I had it welded up, and will reinstall it before too long.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
It took me over a year to crack my SS manifold... beating the **** out of it! Even then it was do to my own bonehead move. I misplaced a manifold nut off of the head flange while doing a WR install. My car was close and the customer was a late do to unforeseen circumstances. My dumb *** figured if it survived glowing orange in the freezing rain, it would be ok to pull a nut off while it was warm to get the customer under way. WRONG ANSWER! Cracked the outer two tubes right there. Oh well, not like I didn't know better. However, I had it welded up, and will reinstall it before too long.
they next time it cracks, it will likely be at the same spot
Old Sep 6, 2005, 06:11 AM
Account Disabled

Hey Zeus, What type of steel is used in that manifold?

Also whay do you feel they crack? Poor welding? Poor quality/ Just that nature of tehse manifolds?

I also pointed out that AMS uses a mounting bracket and that RnR uses a flex downpipe. Why use either? The Stock turbo does not have a flex pipe but a mounting bracket. The DSM does not have a bracket but a flex pipe.

See what I am getting at.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

The material we use is twice as thick as most of the competitors manifolds. That is one of the reason there is no need for a support bracket. We have only had one incident with a leak in a manifold(strybeal). He was just recently sent a replacement manifold.

We have sold over 100 of these manifolds in the last couple years with only one incident. That is a great track record for a tubular manifold. We offer a lifetime warranty so we stand behind our products 100%.

Quick Reply: SS manifolds Cracking.....What causes them to break?