Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FMIC's, exhausts, dyno knowledge & alky kits.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
FMIC's, exhausts, dyno knowledge & alky kits.

Hi guys,

VERY VERY interesting week. I have to say that this new AWD Mustang Dyno we have it worth every single penny we paid for it. Unbelievable how close the tune on the dyno is compared to the street.

I have a car in the shop now that needed a new engine, an EVO. We did a Stage 3 shortblock for it, mildly ported head, springs, retainers, head bolts etc. The car already had an AEM EMS on it. We put our new turbo kit on the car using the GT3071 turbo.

The upper i/c pipe is 2.25" and then turns into 2.5" half way up (not ours) the exhaust is 3" but not ours, the intercooler was a Greddy, lower i/c pipe was not ours. Twin power ignition, alky kit, Walbro pump, HKS 280 cams.

Anyway, was tuning the car on straight 93 octane, made around 308 whp. I was happy with that. Then I turned on the alcohol and wasn't making many gains. The power was stuck. I called the owner and suggested the exhaust he has might be holding the car back. He O.K.'d the swap said to call him and let him know. I just dropped the exhaust at the back of the offroad pipe, no change. Very surprising.

BTW, we set the alcohol up in the AEM to act like nitrous. There is a VERY GOOD topic over in the Engine Management section under AEM EMS sub-section about doing this. Anyway, when the alky pump puts out enough pressure, this particular kit is also on a seperate toggle switch the owner installed, this triggers the car to run a seperate nitrous timing and fuel map. Tuning the car this way was VERY nice. The owner at first didn't want to use the alky anymore and then asked if we could come up with something using the AEM as a safety device. Works very good. I will get into this more later.

I then messed with the car some more, tried a few new things and eventually got the power up to 342 whp. For some reason I still was expecting more. Problem is the intake air temps were going through the roof. The power would continue to drop if I kept doing pull after pull on the dyno as the temps were getting close to 130 degrees.

I again called and suggested throwing one of our intercoolers on the car. He again said O.K. let him know.

We put the intercooler on, our Standard and Deluxe kits are quite a bit bigger than the Greddy.

Now back to the extra safety. The alky kit in this car is on a toggle switch. So first you turn on the toggle, then it sends power to the unit. Then when it reaches the pressure you set it at it sprays like normal. IF the switch is NOT on or if the pump never reaches full pressure the EMS never changes the fuel mixture OR adds any timing. I was hoping to never actually test this

First pull the car makes more power than it did before. I pull up the log as it didn't feel smooth. Sure enough, detonation everwhere. WTF?! Then I notice the alky didn't come on. So I just made a full pull on the dyno at 26-27 psi on 93 octane. Good thing the knock control was on. I double check the switch, it's on, I make another pull. Same thing. WTF?!

Then I hit the test button on the alky kit. Nothing. Hit it again and hold it and it sprays. Must have lost it's prime somehow.

By now all this has happened in about 2-4 minutes. I am in a huge hurry to get another car on the dyno that has been waiting for 3 hours. The intake temps started out at 80 degrees but with these two back to back pulls they are now at 93 degrees.

This time the alky comes on, pull is clean and I check the log. The car just made 353 whp, a gain of 11 whp OVER ANOTHER COMPANIES UPGRADED INTERCOOLER.

I'm very happy but in too big a hurry to let the car cool off and see what it will really pick up with it cooled down and with more tuning.

The intake temps with the other intercooler were gaining on average 15 degrees on a 3rd gear pull. Ours only picked up 9 degrees, same fans etc. Given some extra tuning I could make more power. The knock count dropped nicely adding the intercooler.

I love this stuff.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Sep 4, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave,

Awesome info, i see you found GTVEVO's Safety instructions. That is the best way to set it up on the AEM, as it uses the NOS map as secondary fueling and timing.

Last edited by VTECH8TR; Sep 4, 2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I found it while trying to figure out a way to set it up, it was a very good idea, thanks for adding his name as I was too lazy to go back and see who wrote about that. We used some of what he did and added some other things in for more control. Doing it right off the page he wrote exactly the way he wrote it will work perfectly though.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Sep 7, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:34 PM

Tommy is the man.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
would be interestig to see what the car could make after it had cooled down and more tuning.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:00 PM

Got it Home

I just drove this car back to NJ today and all it wanted to do was like 80+ mph on the highway. Used 24 gals of 94 Octane to go 500+- miles.

No Alky was used as I never armed the Buschur Dual Stage on the car.

David & the Buschur shop did a Pro job for me on the MR..!!

Now, to take it to POCONO and pick on some fast cars.

MachC5