Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing customer breaks our own records!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Buschur Racing customer breaks our own records!

I feel like a broken record but this has been a very exciting week! Bunch of tuning this week on the new AWD MD dyno and man does it work well!

Huge hurry on Friday, 3 cars to tune and one had to get done to go to the track.

Matt Smith is a good customer of ours, we have been building on his car in various stages since he bought it in 2003, he has turned into a good friend. The car has evolved as we have evolved. He is usually one step ahead of us as we put parts we think will work on his before we get a chance to run them ourselves.

Somewhere on here you guys can find a picture of the silver car I built the header for and the GT40R turbo kit. Half a radiator etc, that is his car.

With the 2 liter in the car Matt was able to run 10.8 at 134.8 mph. Now this is in a pretty heavy car. The A/C is missing, the back seat and most of the interior at that point were missing. Everything else is pretty much stock, stock wheels, Nitto 555 tires (not drag radials), stock rotors, brakes etc. This was with the car at 35 psi of boost.

The engine spun a rod bearing. It had 7,000 miles of extreme boost and abuse on it, the car never has pump gas in it, C16 only and high boost only.

Anyway, I suggested putting a stroker engine in it. Matt lives in NC, so getting the car here is tough. He shipped the complete engine, we turned it around in less than two weeks and shipped it back complete. He dropped it in and then showed up this last Friday to have me tune it.

The car is now heavier than before as it has two front seats, center counsole, door panels, carpet, interior trim etc. It is still missing the rear seat as the rollcage keeps the seat from going in. Still running regular Nitto 555 radials, stock wheels, brakes etc.

We put the car on the dyno and started making pulls. The most the anyone has made on our dyno is Al, he made 580 whp at the shootout.

First pull is 380 whp. I feel sick. Granted I haven't even started, boost isn't high and this is a completely different engine than the tune is for.

Next pull power jumps to 466. Then 490, 505, 536 then a 548 which beat our own cars. Now I am getting happy and decide to let it cool off.

Cars cools off and we start again. I still have not turned the boost over 30 psi!!

I can't make anymore power at 30 psi so I give the boost knob a turn and then another. Power comes up to 560.

I tell Matt, that's enough, the car will run strong as hell like that. This engine was never run before it was put on the dyno! I get to thinking about it and change my mind. I want to try and beat or surpass the 580 record. Two more pulls and we make exactly 580 whp with the car. Good enough, I will settle for tie. I like Al

We quickly untie the car and load it on their trailer. Head to the track.

Matt is a coold guy, not nervous at all. Goes up for the first pass, bogs the car horribly, then short shifts the 2-3 shift. I am thinking, "WTF is wrong with this guy?!" I look at the timing board and see 12.2 at 140 mph, I look again and the board is hard to read, it must be 114 mph I think to myself.

I meet him in the staging lanes. His hand is shaking like mad. He has a crazy look in his eye and says, "David, that **** is NASTY!" I say, "Dude, what's wrong with you? The car ran like crap, 12.2 at 114 mph." He says, "BS, it went 140 mph and hands me the time slip. Sure enough 12.2 at 140 mph. I can NOT believe it.
Starts telling me he has never felt anything pull like this car does and that's why his hands are shaking to bad!! He says he knew he was flying when the car was banging the revlimiter as it went through the lights. I look and change it to 8500.
Remember, this is a stroker.

Next pass I don't remember what it was exactly but it was a 10 second run at 140+ mph. He ran a 10.6 at 139 mph and another pass at only 136. Every other run was 140+.

The second pass he tells me the car is banging the revlimiter. I look at the log and sure enough it is. I have no choice, the car is faster than I thought it was going to be, I move the revlimiter to 9,000 rpm.

Somewhere in all the passes he ran a 10.36 at 142 mph. Car looked good but he was having a hell of a time getting it out of the hole without either bogging or spinning.

I told Matt, "Look, I am not leaving this track until you beat either the over all record or atleast beat our black cars record!"

Next pass he did it. The car ran a 10.26 at 144.17 mph! Un-freaking believable.

Here is what is more amazing for me. The car was tuned on the dyno with a max boost of 35 psi, AFR's, timing etc. were all set on the dyno. Through the night I did not have to adjust ONE SINGLE THING! The car was dead on with the tune at the track as it was on the dyno! Amazing!

The boost in 1st gear was max of 31, 2nd gear a max of 32, 3rd gear it was 33-32 and then in 4th the boost would hit 34 psi for about 500 rpm then fall to 33-32 psi the rest of the run.

The pass looked like this:
60' time, 1.73
1/8th mile ET 6.83
1/8th mile MPH 110.02
1/4 mile ET 10.26
1/4 mile MPH 144.17

This is at only 33 psi of boost!

Another interesting fact. The car runs our new race FMIC. On the passes the car was only gaining 16-22 degrees of air intake temps. Highest of the evening was 109 degrees at the end of the run at 33 psi!

The car is fast. Pulls extremely clean every single run. AFR's were set in the 11.5-11.7:1 range, so it is not set on kill.

I told Matt to go home, get some drag radials and a set of lighter wheels and go back to the track. I fully expect this EVO to be in the 9's when he does.

The spool up of the GT40 on this car was changed drastically with the stroker.

Adding the stroker to the car compared to the Stage 3, 2 liter that was in it gained 6 tenths of a second and 10 mph! Truly amazing.

Congrats Matt! You did a great job driving the car!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
calm down on the big posts big man...j/k =)
Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:10 PM
Account Disabled

Amazing !

I am very excited, espeially since I just recieved my Buschur Stroker short block this week - thanks David for the fast response !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can tell you guys this - the design on the Buschur pistons is very promising and looks like its really amazing stuff

144 off the juice is simply amazing !!!!!!!
Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Dave,

Congrats on this wonderful build. You are the MAN . AL lets see what you do. I can't wait for your results .

Last edited by VTECH8TR; Sep 4, 2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

I can't wait to see what the engine is going to do in your car Al. The records are going to fall !!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

haha figures. Great work guys! See you soon
Old Sep 4, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Please tell me more abt the stroker kit ~~ What goodies are in there?
Old Sep 4, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet times, that 144mph trap speed is really impressive, has 9s in it for sure.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Imagine that... a stroker is going to break records From the great David Buschur's mouth no less.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Thats awsome! I can't wait until the evil is unleashed with my car too.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

What's in the stroker? This is the kit we put together a year or so ago. 2.4 crank, Crower billet rods, all new bearings, balance shafts removed, bored/balanced and the important part that makes it all work is our piston design. We sell the kit to do it yourself for $2300, that requires you doing the machine work and assembly. Send in your core and it is $3500.

Some other interesting facts from the dyno and track with this particular car from Friday:

On the dyno in a 3rd gear pull from 3,000 rpm to 8,500 rpm with 35 psi of boost the air intake temps STAYED at 96.8 degrees, no gain in temps. This is our race FMIC with the GT40R.

Spool up on the track coming out of 1st gear was:
4441 rpm = 13.24 psi
5400 rpm = 18 psi
6400 rpm = 23 psi
7400 rpm = 27 psi

Shift to 2nd gear and the spool up was:
5400 = 18 psi
6400 = 33.4 psi

Air intank temps on one of the 142 mph passes started out "hot" as we sat in the staging lanes with the car running. Matt started the pass at 102 degrees AIT and the end of the pass the AIT's dropped to 95 degrees!

I was looking at the logs of the other night, there is plenty left in this car. I hope he is an as big a hurry to buy drag radials for it as I am for him to do it! haha

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

All i can say is wow!!
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice work Dave!!! Would you recommend running a built 2.0 liter with the GT40 turbo?
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

very nice
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:03 PM

can you post more info about stroker , congrats on car very sweet

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing customer breaks our own records!