Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How is the six-speed gearbox on the MR compared to the normal Evo's five-speed?(more)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2005 | 11:51 AM

Question How is the six-speed gearbox on the MR compared to the normal Evo's five-speed?(more)

I'm thinking about buying an Evolution IX, but I can't decide whether or not to get the MR or the normal Evo. How is the 6 speed box? Which would be better if I decided to mildly tune the car? Majorly tune it? Apparently the IX has different ratios than the VIII:
"New gear ratios on the models' standard five-speed manual transmission take full advantage of the increased torque to improve the vehicle's already blistering acceleration. This transmission is derived from the Mitsubishi close-ratio competition gearbox but has a modified top gear ratio for improved high-speed cruising. The Lancer Evolution MR features a six-speed close-ratio manual transmission."

Also, will the new variable valve timing make the Evo harder to tune and get power out of? I'm generally really informed on automobile stuff, but I always forget what variable valve timing is for. The EVOs are still cable throttle right?

PS: Thanks in advance for any help anyone may provide.
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

In the VIII's supposedly the 6speed shifter in the MR is weaker than the GSR/RS' 5speed gearbox.

Oh and a random fact, the gearing is just about the same from 1-3rd gear, its 4-6where the MR shines.
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

i've owned both GSR and now MR, i will choose 6 speed any day of the week, and no, the gearing is not the same at all between both the cars
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

5-speed - better for 1/4 mile times

6-speed - better for road racing
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Ahem... What are you talking about?

Last edited by gt40; Sep 9, 2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

^People just base opinons on what other people say... Its all about the driver
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by gt40
Ahem... What are you talking about?
I think he's saying that the five-speed gearbox will be faster on the drag strip for quarter mile times while the MR's six-speed would be better for keeping the car at the optimum RPM on a race track/road course/whatever and would get better lap times than the normal Evo.
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gt40
What are you talking about?
He's talking about the fact that due to the gearing differences between the two different transmissions, the 5-speed can trap higher without the need to make that extra shift into 5th gear (not an easy shift to do quickly either). It's been discussed on here quite a bit. The search function is your friend.
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

^both are jackass statments
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
In the VIII's supposedly the 6speed shifter in the MR is weaker than the GSR/RS' 5speed gearbox.

Oh and a random fact, the gearing is just about the same from 1-3rd gear, its 4-6where the MR shines.
Neither of these are true.
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Compjoc

These statements are too broad and cannot be taken in isolation.

The 6spd is actually faster for cars that trap 110 or less, but after that, the 5spd is better.

For road racing, the closer ratio of the 6spd can help you to be in the powerband at all times on a road course, but at the same time, it can require you to shift more often, which is a definite detractor, so it depends on the course layout, mods, and driver...
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99

No, actually the third gear on the MR is 4% shorter, the 4th gear is 7% shorter.
Lets get the fact correct first....
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Compjoc

How do you figure the 5 speed is better for the 1/4 mile?, unless you modify your car to the point where you need to shift to fifth the MR can do 110MPH in forth very well.

I ran a 13.2@104 from 1st to 2nd to 5th gear. I missed third gear and left my car in fifth all the way to the end. While some people might argue that shifting to 5th gear takes time away the fifth gear on the MR pulls hard.
Remember that it pulled more than two MPH over the RS and GSR on the road course on the straight lines.

A bone stock MR would never tell the difference in the 1/4 mile, there is no disadvantage unless you cross the 1/4 mile line at a certain speed which requires you to shift to fifth gear..

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Sep 9, 2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for finally jumping in Warrtalon..
Old Sep 9, 2005 | 12:48 PM

I think that the six speed is a bit too quick of gearing. I mean both transmissions have their pros and cons, but I can't say because i've never driven an MR. But I think I like the five speed a bit better. Now, maybe I drive an MR and prefer the MR tranny over the five speed, but god knows. I know the five speed is good for 1/4 mile and definetely not bad for road racing neither. Thats just my two cents on both trannys.