Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Who Is Making Over 450 Whp On A Cusco Twin Disc With No Problems???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 08:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who Is Making Over 450 Whp On A Cusco Twin Disc With No Problems???

I'm contemplating the new heavy duty exedy twin disc and the cusco twin disc and also going to be upgrading the turbo over fall/winter. I'll be shootin for somewhere betweem 450-500 whp on pump with methanol (most likely a GT35R)

I'm really considering this cusco twin but Its so rare I see people using it. One person told me its good for 450-500 whp which i dont like to hear because I dont want to be maxxing it out. another said 550whp. I know its very similar to the exedy twin disc but the discs are a different material and the pressure plate is a little different other then being blue instead of purple. I might even order the cusco discs with the new heavy duty exedy pressure plate but i'm not 100% sure yet. Is there anyone out there making 450whp+ with the cusco twin with no issues??? Or any other imput is appreciated.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Exedy

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
I'm contemplating the new heavy duty exedy twin disc and the cusco twin disc and also going to be upgrading the turbo over fall/winter. I'll be shootin for somewhere betweem 450-500 whp on pump with methanol (most likely a GT35R)

I'm really considering this cusco twin but Its so rare I see people using it. One person told me its good for 450-500 whp which i dont like to hear because I dont want to be maxxing it out. another said 550whp. I know its very similar to the exedy twin disc but the discs are a different material and the pressure plate is a little different other then being blue instead of purple. I might even order the cusco discs with the new heavy duty exedy pressure plate but i'm not 100% sure yet. Is there anyone out there making 450whp+ with the cusco twin with no issues??? Or any other imput is appreciated.

In case you did not know... The cusco is the same clutch just painted blue..

Chris
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:01 AM
Account Disabled

actually, no its not

the disks are different

There are lots of people running this clutch over 450 whp - start searching
Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok... I'll settle this right now.

The Cusco Twin is IDENTICAL to the 'MM022SD' which is the Exedy Twin Metallic.

The ONLY difference is the covers are painted different.

Cusco may say they are a different disc - but they aren't, it's only marketing.

However, the NEW MM022HD is different that the two I mentioned... but the ONLY difference is the clamp load of the diaphram... in other words, same discs but it hold 15% additional power.

Hope that clears things up... and if you need the Heavy Duty Twin... I have them in stock.

Last edited by MattGold; Sep 13, 2005 at 07:56 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MattGold

Hope that clears things up... and if you need the Heavy Duty Twin... I have them in stock.
Hey Matt, how much?
Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MattGold
Ok... I'll settle this right now.

The Cusco Twin is IDENTICAL to the 'MM022SD' which is the Exedy Twin Metallic.

The ONLY difference is the covers are painted different.

Cusco may say they are a different disc - but they aren't, it's only marketing.

However, the NEW MM022HD is different that the two I mentioned... but the ONLY difference is the clamp load of the diaphram... in other words, same discs but it hold 15% additional power.

I fail to see how they can be the same. Cusco = carbon disks, Exedy = metal disks. Other than that I'm sure they are exactly the same. Cusco Carbon twin claims to hold 700ft lbs, so I dont think 450-500hp is going to bother it too much.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jon H
Hey Matt, how much?
You know the drill...

PM for Prices!
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

PM'd.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:29 AM
Account Disabled

Cusco is NOT carbon disks - they are carbon/metal blend, whereas Exedy is metal/ceramic blend

"TWIN PLATE CLUTCH SYSTEM- Easy to slip in, diaphragm designed for smooth and light use. A light clutch that enables good clutch maneuvers.
Carbon rich facing used on the disc with ventilated type center plate.
The self leveling system balances equal wear on both the flywheel side and transmission side of the disc to promote longer clutch life.
CUSCO "Pull Type" Clutch Systems do not require the "Pull to Push" conversion adapter kit unlike the ones of other companies. It will provide you an advantage of proper and easier installation, also with higher reliability and durability through out the whole life of the clutch system. "Bolt-on Design" also supports these advantages and benefits you gain from CUSCO Clutch Systems.
*Pull type and push type are used depending on the cars."
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Cusco is NOT carbon disks - they are carbon/metal blend, whereas Exedy is metal/ceramic blend

"TWIN PLATE CLUTCH SYSTEM- Easy to slip in, diaphragm designed for smooth and light use. A light clutch that enables good clutch maneuvers.
Carbon rich facing used on the disc with ventilated type center plate.
The self leveling system balances equal wear on both the flywheel side and transmission side of the disc to promote longer clutch life.
CUSCO "Pull Type" Clutch Systems do not require the "Pull to Push" conversion adapter kit unlike the ones of other companies. It will provide you an advantage of proper and easier installation, also with higher reliability and durability through out the whole life of the clutch system. "Bolt-on Design" also supports these advantages and benefits you gain from CUSCO Clutch Systems.
*Pull type and push type are used depending on the cars."

Cusco marketing at its best. Adam did you know matt used to work for exedy? Cusco clutches are blue MM022SD clutches.

Chris
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Carbon/Metal Blend? No way man.

They are both Cerametallic... take it or leave it... it's the truth.

Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:02 AM
Account Disabled

Chris - yes I have known Matt for nearly 5 years now

and no, they are not the same - the above is direct qupte from Cusco...I am sure they have no reason to lie, nor do I have a reason to make it up

Last edited by Z1 Performance; Sep 13, 2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
matt, even you said you can call exedy and order the cusco style discs which are different then the standard twin disc clutch, didnt you?
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
matt, even you said you can call exedy and order the cusco style discs which are different then the standard twin disc clutch, didnt you?
Nope. Not me. If I did, then it was because I knew they were the same as the Exedy replacement parts.

Trust me - I have nothing to gain out of this. They are the same.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:28 AM
Account Disabled

I too have nothing to gain (since we sell/stock both). The above is from Cusco, not something I wrote

Quick Reply: Who Is Making Over 450 Whp On A Cusco Twin Disc With No Problems???