Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My TT numbers...why is the torque so low?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2005 | 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xiaoni420
Aem Ems
wth??
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

wth?? AEM EMS. whats your question?
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mevolution2002
Ive noticed that TT tunes usually have more HP than a dynoflash but the dynoflash always has the TQ pretty close to the HP #s, if not more TQ than HP. Either way your numbers do seem alittle low. Hows the car feel? Try doing a boost leak test again.
Car feels fine I suppose. A friend with the same mods but 272/264 GSC cams, APS BOV, LPI and resonated test pipe put down 2 more whp and 4 more tq...so it was a grand total of 3 evos that day with low numbers...

Doesn't seem like it was our cars. One thing that I thought was a bit strange was that TT only did 3 pulls on the dyno with my car...is that really enough to dial in timing and fuel perfectly?

On my other two friends' cars they did 10 and 15-20 pulls respectively.
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

wth?? AEM EMS. whats your question?
what about AEM EMS? You asked me if my idle was good, I said it was fine. Then you say "AEM EMS." What are you talking about? What does AEM EMS have anything to do with topic at hand.
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

manifold is stillway.
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

have you read my thread yet?? or did you miss all that...one problem here is that you are so concerned about your numbers being low. with that at hand, along with the fact that they did 3 pulls on your car, of which is not enough by any means to dial in perfectly, you may need to take it a step further and go with a better tuning device...the AEM EMS being one of them. take a look at my thread before i get into with you, obviously you havent taken the time to read it. im trying to offer my help here, since i have been in the exact same situation as you, but take what you want. u dont need my help.
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

where are you located in philly? ^
montco area...
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
Car feels fine I suppose. A friend with the same mods but 272/264 GSC cams, APS BOV, LPI and resonated test pipe put down 2 more whp and 4 more tq...so it was a grand total of 3 evos that day with low numbers...

Doesn't seem like it was our cars. One thing that I thought was a bit strange was that TT only did 3 pulls on the dyno with my car...is that really enough to dial in timing and fuel perfectly?

On my other two friends' cars they did 10 and 15-20 pulls respectively.
Its weird you and your friends got those numbers but I do know that sometimes they only need to do 3 pulls because your ECU doesnt need that much adjusments to be made compared to someone elses.

If youre really unhappy, and theres nothing wrong with your car(which id do a boost leak test again to make sure) Id try a different flash, or like someone else said go standalone or piggyback.
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

It took about 12 pulls to dial in my timming and fuel perfect, my guess is that they are running conservative timming and didn't take the time to really push numbers as much, but i guess thats fine when your flashing a costumer's car, the numbers aren't bad, if you really want more tourqe get some kind of an EMS then you have ALL the timming in the world to play with!
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

have you read my thread yet?? or did you miss all that...one problem here is that you are so concerned about your numbers being low. with that at hand, along with the fact that they did 3 pulls on your car, of which is not enough by any means to dial in perfectly, you may need to take it a step further and go with a better tuning device...the AEM EMS being one of them. take a look at my thread before i get into with you, obviously you havent taken the time to read it. im trying to offer my help here, since i have been in the exact same situation as you, but take what you want. u dont need my help.
I hadn't read your thread until now. Regardless, you saying just "AEM EMS" is extremely vague.

I agree with you that 3 pulls isn't enough to dial in a car, and that's why I'm questioning it.

Finally, I can't get AEM EMS because I have to get my car tested for emissions and it must pass OBDII scan...which it can't with the EMS. Besides, the cold start issues, etc won't bode well with MA winters.

Nevermind the additional 1500+ dollar outlay.

People are having great results with flashes and I don't find any compelling reason to go standalone unless I get a turbokit or build up my motor.

Last edited by anjapower; Sep 13, 2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mevolution2002
Ive noticed that TT tunes usually have more HP than a dynoflash but the dynoflash always has the TQ pretty close to the HP #s, if not more TQ than HP. Either way your numbers do seem alittle low. Hows the car feel? Try doing a boost leak test again.
I agree with your statement about Dynoflash TQ/HP matching but I think HP levels are pretty standard in terms of who usually as more.

To the original poster, my mods were quite similar to yours when I first went to the dyno, however, I wasnt there in 86 degree heat, but 55 degrees, so Im sure that helped out - maybe that is cause for low torque? Not sure.

I made 346whp/344tq @ 22psi, it was 55 degrees out that day. My mods at that time were:

Helix 3" Turboback
Helix Lower IC pipe (lower helped?)
Helix Intake
MR BOV
HKS 272/272s
Old school Hallman MBC (which was dropping boost too quick, I now have new one)
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 11:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Is it just the tune or is it my mods causing the numbers to be subpar?
Do you have a printed graph of the dyno runs? If so, both the hp/tq and A/F - boost charts may prove to be helpful.
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

I hadn't read your thread until now. Regardless, you saying just "AEM EMS" is extremely vague.

I agree with you that 3 pulls isn't enough to dial in a car, and that's why I'm questioning it.

Finally, I can't get AEM EMS because I have to get my car tested for emissions and it must pass OBDII scan...which it can't with the EMS. Besides, the cold start issues, etc won't bode well with MA winters.

Nevermind the additional 1500+ dollar outlay.

People are having great results with flashes and I don't find any compelling reason to go standalone unless I get a turbokit or build up my motor.
anything else you would like to add to the post??

your numbers were quite accurate from your particular flash. you can take it from your flash, your two friends, soon2bevos, my own, etc. soon2bevo happened to get his done under much cooler conditions which helped him out with torque.

i just wanted to let you know what would help you out drastically with your results, i understand it is expensive, but in the long run, it is worth every penny, not to to mention if you get a good deal on it. anyways, this is not a route you are going to take so there is no reason to talk about it.

just trying to help.
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

BTW - if you have some free time go to a DynoJet locally when the weather gets cooler (starting now!) and see how much of the torque changes!
Old Sep 13, 2005 | 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor

I made 306 hp, 306 tq on 91 with HFC and no cams on a dynojet in 100 degree heat. My mods aren't below. And yes, those numbers for the tq seem a little low.

Quick Reply: My TT numbers...why is the torque so low?