Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS SSQ VTA- My Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2005, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS SSQ VTA- My Experience

I installed my HKS SSQ version 2 with the intercooler pipe, I had to vent it to atmosphere to test it out because the recirculation kit doesnt fit with the SSQ not in the stock location....

Well here's my experience, its GREAT!!! No stalling No idling issues, but I did have one problem. Its really really really really loud, so loud everyone I drive by has to turn around to look. With just a little bit of boost the thing has a huge high pitch sound. I hear fluttering very little on low boost although I think that sounds pretty cool too.

Also to note, I have an 04 GSR- NO tuning, NO idle stabalizer, NO standalone, NO Check engine light, untouched S AFC.

The issue I'm having with it right now is that... the upper IC pipe that it came with keeps on popping off when I floor it from the bottom not top.. after that the car is undrivable obviously but when I put it back in it runs fine. I'm going to have to fix that clamp, I might double clamp it but I haven't tested it on the highway yet and its kinda a pain in the *** to put that pipe back in. If I can just get that ONE issue out of my way I love this BOV!.. Anyone who has similiar issues did you do anything to secure that pipe so it stops popping out!

I also installed my Helix High flow cat, It looks more like a test pipe than a high flow cat its hollow and very light. NO check engine light.

I think my Evo is a special one, it takes in Mod's so great.

My MODS is..

HKS SSQ ver. 2, HKS RS intake, HKS Hi power cat, Tanabe dp, Helix HFC, and other visual stupid crap like tinted windows, sound system etc...
Old Sep 15, 2005, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...+Evo+MR+owners

Edit* Late '04 models will be the same (no stalling)

get t-bolt clamps

Last edited by Nez136; Sep 15, 2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same exact problem....I even just bought T-bolt clamps, and they didnt work either.....my next step is to order a new hose that is longer and stronger than the one that comes with it....once it comes and I install it I will make sure to let you know how it turned out. Here is the website that I ordered to hose from....

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/hoseandclamps.htm
Old Sep 15, 2005, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ev08buoy
Anyone who has similiar issues did you do anything to secure that pipe so it stops popping out!
Try coating the inside of the coupler with hairspray, rubbing alcohol, mineral spirts, anything like that. I had this problem with my turbo civic and this solved it for me.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 06:07 PM

I have the same BOV and I love it. As mentioned I just used T-bolt clamps and that pretty much got rid of the problem of the hoses popping off. I have an 05 btw
Old Sep 15, 2005, 06:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you notice when it pops off? Usually its because the clamp is cocked, the inside of the coupler needs to be cleaned, and you can use hairspray as said earlier.

Your fortunate that you don't have problems with it. But I suspect its because you have an Evo Specific kit that moves the valve to a different location. In reality it doesn't work perfectly because your venting metered air between shifts, but the reason it doesn't stall is probably because its not opening at low RPM part throttle.. I'm sure it will stall at some point occasionally. The big problem is the rich condition between shifts when it vents..

I won't go into the whole VTA is bad discussion, its already been covered.. But the pipe can be working itself off due to residual pressure in the pipe.. I helped a friend fix a similar problem with his pipe continually popping off by cleaning the coupler with brake cleaner and recommended to him to use hair spray, or something that had a "Tacky" feel to give it a little bite. Also, look carefully at the coupler and how far it fits over the pipes and end of the intercooler, make sure it fits over the flared portion of the pipe far enough so the clamp can fully seat behind the flare, it should solve the problem.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the quick reply's

I will try all of those things that were mentioned..

T bolt clamps, Coating it with hairspray, and I definately want feedback on the new hose.

It sucked, it happened twice going home and I felt like an idiot (i live in a busy city).
Old Sep 15, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

I had to take mines off because it was just too loud for me. But I did not have any problems running either VTA or recycle. I went back to stock just because of the sound
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

I like the loudness, my first turbo car so its very new to me.

I would like to run in recirculating rather than venting it but with the upper IC pipe I don't know how I could do that.