Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Odd missfire after Coil on Plug Install

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd missfire after Coil on Plug Install

Just like the title says I have a very odd missfire that happens under full load above 20 psi. I can get to 25 Psi or so without a hiccup ( or at least I cant feel it) if I go lets say 3/4 throttle. Now I have tried gapping the plugs from .024-.032 thinking I may just have it too wide but didnt help. Car ran smooth to 28 psi on stock ignition. I tried a boost leak test, found none to 30 psi. Anyone have any clues as to what I may have done wrong. The coil on plug system I have is from Dave B. and judging by the other products I have purchased from him Im pretty sure its the install and not the product. My mods are as follows: HKS RS kit, Helix IC Pipes, Turbosmart BOV (recirc only blocked of VTA) Nisei IC, Dave B. TBE, Walbro Fuel Pump, 264/272 cams ,Dynoflash and SMC H20 kit with 100% meth. Any thoughts? I mounted the resistor pack for the COP Ignition on the same mount for the wiring loom and throttle cable on the tranny side of the head. I soldered all the connections, ran the wires in a loom and I used one of the stock coil bolts to ground the system to the supplied plate. Hope someone has an answer as to whats going on.

Try and remember here, im not saying it IS the ignition what Im saying is it didnt happen until after I installed it, that is to say I may have broke something else during the install.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

What coil pack or ignition box are you running with your setup? Also, I would try to gap those plugs down to .022 or .023 to hold that high boost it will help with a more precise ignition system. Since you're on the stock ecu (i didnt see ems in the mod list) you're going to have more dwell time for each spark, and higher boost with more power (like you have) has a higher change of blowing out the spark when they're gapped higher. Gap 'em a little lower and try it out.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Double check the ground connection, might not be good enough. Clean the metal surface around the ground, scratch it if you have to in order to expose bare metal. Might not be a bad idea to ground it to its own location as well.

You didn't change the plugs did you?
Old Sep 18, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Im using The Bushur racing COP ignition without the ignition amplifier, plugs are BPR8ES's . Thanks guys for the input Ill try it in the AM.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Hey no prob man, let us know how it works out!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

I finally had some time to rip the car apart and work on her. I took the ground wire that comes with the COP ignition and soldered in 3 more 10 gauge wires ( I know overkill) I then proceeded to make an ignition hyperground kit. Ran a wire to the block, to the chassis and finally one more to the negative battery terminal, took her out for a spin and NO MORE MISSFIRE!! God it feels good to go full throttle again. Just to be on the safe side I regapped the plugs down to .024. Thanks again all, now I just need to figure out why my alcohol kit decides it needs to squirt a little at full vacuum, but I think its because of my reference signal.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Can you tell us what the part numbers or what kind of COP you are running. I want the coils but i have another idea as far as going the BR or Switzer way.

Thanx
Chris
Old Oct 7, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

If you are running the AEM EMS another thing to try out is the dwell settings from the Dodge Viper as the coils in that COP setup are from a Chrysler. This is only if you are running them w/o a CDI box.