Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

White Rabbit vs TME turbo dyno comparision

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
this is incorrect... you misinterpret the steeper slope to be more area... it's not... look carefully and you'll see that the wr levels off much faster which means it got higher faster and stayed there. it also ends higher which means it's area is more.

i don't understand what you people are complaining about... this is not uber racegas maps... and it's about 20hp more... for similar cars... just wr difference....
On pump gas, the WR has about 5 more lb-ft of torque through the mid range. The top end is hard to determine because the TME pulls were cut off earlier. On race gas, the TME outperformed the WR at every point on the curve by 5 to 15 lb-ft of torque. So on pump gas, the WR may perform slightly better, but on race gas (where the WR is supposed to have its greatest advantage) it was outpowered by the TME at every point on the curve.

-Paul
Old Sep 24, 2005, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be very careful comparing these two cars -
Old Sep 24, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

This comparason is useless. You simply cannot compare these turbos with two different cars on seperate days, seperate mods (even though similar), on seperate tunes.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 01:51 PM
Account Disabled

I still think utilizing the stock housing will just choke any topend realized.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 02:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by EFIxMR
91 octane timing & boost

20 psi peak taper to 16 psi redline

100 octane timing & boost

25 psi peak taper to 18 psi redline

mods

AEM w/ MAF tuned by me
custom 3 inch TBE
HKS 280 cams (these suck below 3k rpm)
HKS timing gears
Hallman MBC
WR turbo

right now this is a rough tune. it can definately make more. 1st problem is taking care of the taper. this is going to be accomplished by changing the boost control and wastegate actuator.
There has to be a mechanical problem on your car. Even with the stock actuator (I have the high pressure one now), the boost would only taper around 1 psi with the WR from about 21 to 20 using an boost controller tapped into the turbo outlet. Check for boost leaks and verify your preload on the actuator.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i've tightened my wastegate actuator to is maximum. i will check for boost leaks and get the upgraded actuator as well as a new boost control. the boost control i was talking about earlier is the turbo xs.

i think if the boost held to 20 psi, there would have been a lot more power on the top end. i'll keep you guys posted on what i find.

overall the car drives really nice.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Are these #'s correct I did not think the MR weighed 3400#'s maybe with driver is that what you based it on?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a look at the Mustang Dyno HP@50. They got 1 in there. I don't think that is correct. It looks to me like that dyno sheet is worthless. It was not set up correct. To me if the number is put in there correctly, the car would make more power. The mods don't add up to the sheet. What a shame! I see this happens alot. Before you make a dyno pull guys, make sure you tell the operator to check everything. You can't turn back once you are off the dyno and on the way home!
Old Sep 25, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that there is a winner, at least in my book. I take the TME turbo anyday..

After reviewing the dyno charts I find more useful the TME turbo over the WR not to mention that the TME out performs the WR on 100OCT.

I want to make the remark that even the TME is significantly cheaper correct?.

This bring me to a issue that I covered a few months ago with a couple of pioneer Evo owners on this forum. The last time I spoke with one of the guys looking for the ultimate budget friendly top performer upgrade turbo we agree that the formula was this:

Forced Performance making your stock turbo to a 20G with Titanium wheels.

This turbo suppose to be the ultimate upgrade/budget friendly performer, great spool up, great top end, great price. Other advantages is that it could perhaps outperform much bigger and expesive turbokits in the market.

I have a buddy which is about to get a full sponsorship on the turbo that I just mentioned but he must get some injectors first, he is working on it.

Summarizing, how come no one mentioned the 20g and Ti wheels before?

my .2c
Old Sep 25, 2005, 06:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
in defense of the WR and the dyno settings... i really didn't intend to post these results to say "hey look at this". it was more to get my car driving on the AEM. at gruppe-s they have experimented with the hp@50 parameter going from extremes of 1 and 50 and the difference was about 5 hp.

i normally tune on a dynopak, and this time was my first time operating a mustang dyno on my own. i had set the dyno to run 12 hp @ 50, but somewhere a long the lines the dyno got reset. as someone who has many hours of dyno experience, i need to tell you guys that you can't get so caught up in numbers.

what you end up is becoming a dynobot. tuning fundamentally is getting the a/f correct, boost and timing safe for a given octane. the true measure of how well a car is tuned is at the race track and on the street demonstrating real power and drivability. not the dyno.

these two graphs are inconclusive in terms of comparison between the tme and wr. to say one is better than the other based upon this evidence doesn't make sense.

what this does show is two completely different cars with two completely different set of circumstances.

bottom line is i just wanted to get the car to run safely. if i wanted to produce big numbers to prove some kind of point to evom, i would have approached this session totally different with everything optimized.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 07:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Just because I was curious, I overlayed my dyno graph from my 05 evo MR (same car) onto the White rabbit graph

Same dyno (mustang), same place (gruppe-s), different days. Since these dynos are different days, etc, this is just for comparison and because I was curious, nothing more.

What really makes me curious, is the White Rabbit car also a standalone AND HKS cams over what my car has:

My car:
Fuel Pump
SAFC2
MBC (1.4bar)
Turboback, no cat
720cc injectors

White Rabbit car:
3" turboback
White Rabbit turbo
AEM EMS standalone
HKS 280 cams
ADJ Cam Sprockets
MBC (1.4bar)

White rabbit numbers and graph are in dark red, my numbers are in black and my graph is the faint green and blue overlay:

Very interesting...
Old Sep 26, 2005, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

hey brian ill let you test drive my evo one of thse days

its not all about numbers people,when driven you can feel a significant difference with the WR turbo hey effix go get the upgraded actuator and do another round of tuning

Last edited by evo_dadi; Sep 26, 2005 at 07:02 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2 different cars, stock fmic vs aftermarket, among other things, not a fair turbo comparison really.......Especially when people are trying to knit-pick power here & there.

Thanks for posting the graphs It's always great to have reference data.

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Sep 26, 2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:33 PM
Account Disabled

The fastest any of these Modded Stock turbos have gone is of course David Buschur's RS I believe hit mid 11’s and at 120MPH on race gas and a ported head and a built motor and every mod you can do. That is certainly an improvement but noting a 3071R can’t do on PUMP gas and a stock bottom end and unmolested head with just cams.

This is my take on it, I could be wrong, but I see no way around the restrictive exhaust housing.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

^^ an fmic thats the difference? how about the wr has bigger cams and a standalone compared to a flash. an aem ems and 280s v 272s and fmic is about a wash. numbers wise. i guess one really only sees what they want to. i would use the race gas graph too as the flash on 91 was conservative im sure and on 100 it was b@lls to the wall. but lets assume, like you wr enthusiast, the tme car has more mods for what would be more horsepower. on race gas, the tme wins by a little as it should. and on pump, the hare wins by a hair. is that worth another G? surely no. now a 20g w/ tit internals.......

Quick Reply: White Rabbit vs TME turbo dyno comparision