Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Teach me turbo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teach me turbo

I searched, i searched.. im new to the turbo world. how exactly does a turbo work? whats all this psi about. Dont flame on me, please explain
Old Sep 25, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm here read this u shoudl be good
Old Sep 25, 2005, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha tahts wehre i went too, good stuff on that website
Old Sep 25, 2005, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

A turbo creates a boost for the engine..it supplies a sufficient amount of air to the engine which mixes with gasoline to produce more power. Your G35 does that...but not as well since it does not have a turbo to help it. A turbo is like a little fan blade connected to another fan blade by a shaft. The turbo is bolted on to the exhaust side of the engine. When the one blade spins because of the exhaust pressure spins the blade, it spins the other blade which is connected to an intake. So..when the air pushes out of the engine, it spins the blade that SUCKS in air for the engine. And depending on turbo size, you can set the boost. The higher the boost, the more air that comes in to the engine, the more fuel gets used, and the more POWER you get. It is measured in Pounds per Square Inch or PSI. PSI is a measurement used for pressure just like the amount of air pressure you have in your tires. The spooling of a turbo means the time it takes to reach full speed of the turbo blade spinning. You will generally hear this hissing sound wind up as engine speed (RPMS) rise. Once it hits full boost, the car will create maxium power based on how much the turbo can put air into the motor. The exhaust also sends out air more rapidly with the increase of airflow into the motor and the engine speed. The Turbo basically sends more air in and at a much faster rate than NA cars or cars without forced induction. The turbo is also connected to an intercooler. The intercooler basically cools down the compressed air the turbo sucks in. Because the air in sucked in pretty hard depending on PSI, the air gets hot and an intercooler is required. The less dense the air, the more air can be pushed into the engine. That is the purpose of an intercooler. This is how a basic turbo operates, its such a feat in the automobile engineering section. Thats why i want to become an Automobile Engineer, this stuff is just so fascinating.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

If you have any questions relating to a Lancer Evolution Engine or your G35, just ask me...i will try to give you the best possible answer. Trust me, i know plenty about automobiles
Old Sep 25, 2005, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the help guys