Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problems shifting from 1st to 2nd on my 05 Evo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpclements
Sounds like a clutch adjustment problem. The clutch probably was not adjusted correctly. The best way to check it is to put the car up on jack stands and put it in first. You should be able to let the clutch out 3 inches from the floor in which the wheels should just barely start to turn. Anything less than 3 inches will cause this problem of the high gear shifting. It is caused from the clutch barely draging on the flywheel. This is advice that I got from TRE.
This is not an aftermarket clutch, it is the stock one, its a new car.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have about 5k on my 05 and the first 2k of miles were tons of missed shifts but as the miles racked up it has gotten better. I am going to be installing an engine dampener and shifter bushings shortly though.

Dan
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:59 AM

try shifting a little sooner....6200-6500...no need to rev past that unless you have 272's or 280's
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT
try shifting a little sooner....6200-6500...no need to rev past that unless you have 272's or 280's
Not true
Old Sep 27, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 8ASTI
picked up my '05 with 7 miles on it yesterday and noticed the same thing hopefully its just breaking in.
I woudlnt recommended shifting so high if you just got it!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 01:15 PM

ok ...have you ever seen a stock cam dyno sheet...i have one
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

My wife had that problem but she didn't push the clutch in.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I say pop out the clutch restrictor pill so you can feel the engagement. Then get under the dash and adjust the clutch. Some say it's better to go up with it, I say go where is comfortable for you and if you have problems play with it, high engagement points are unacceptable to me personally. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=clutch
Then save yourself the headaches of trying to find that "magic" tranny fluid that everyone and their backwoods cousin bubba swears by and put in Amsoil's GL4 https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Se...CategoryID=298

I've used stock, BG synchroshift, Penzoil synchromesh, Amsoil severe gear 75-90, and none of it touches on the refined shifting one will realize with the new dedicated GL4 fluid that Amsoil has now released. As far as the transfer case and rear differential stick with oem fluids.

A braided stainless clutch line will also give you more feedback for better engagement.

Take care,
Josh
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

same issue here on occasion.. i feel the gears, but I'm hoping its just break-in like our brothers state here. what the heck is TRE anyway?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
This is not an aftermarket clutch, it is the stock one, its a new car.
It doesn't matter. It can still come adjusted improperly from the factory.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:28 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by GOKOU
What helps are: SS clutch line, switch over to Pennzoil SM, under hood bushings, remove restrictor
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:31 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
I say pop out the clutch restrictor pill so you can feel the engagement. Then get under the dash and adjust the clutch. Some say it's better to go up with it, I say go where is comfortable for you and if you have problems play with it, high engagement points are unacceptable to me personally. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=clutch
Then save yourself the headaches of trying to find that "magic" tranny fluid that everyone and their backwoods cousin bubba swears by and put in Amsoil's GL4 https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Se...CategoryID=298

I've used stock, BG synchroshift, Penzoil synchromesh, Amsoil severe gear 75-90, and none of it touches on the refined shifting one will realize with the new dedicated GL4 fluid that Amsoil has now released. As far as the transfer case and rear differential stick with oem fluids.

A braided stainless clutch line will also give you more feedback for better engagement.

Take care,
Josh
Another great post. I will have to check this out also. Until then I used Pennzoil since 2600mi and change recommended at 7500mi intervals. The **** is cheap.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT
ok ...have you ever seen a stock cam dyno sheet...i have one
Yes, we've all seen stock cam dyno sheets. Shifting at 6200-6500 is retarded. I make peak HP at 6800 on my stock cammed Evo, and even if I didn't, shifting at 6200-6500 would still be a waste, since that would put me too low in the powerband of the next gear. I shift at 7200 with stock cams. Cammed cars shift as high as 7500...
Old Sep 28, 2005, 03:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuorder

Take care,
Josh
+1

I had these same issues from Day 1 on my car. At about 5000 miles I put in AC Delco syncromesh and pulled the restrictor. That made it better but not 100%. Adjusting the clutch pedal higher was the real fix. Don't keep driving the car like this or you will cause synchro problems. Adjusting the clutch pedal is very very easy and you can easily put it back to the way it was if you aren't happy. Check evomoto.com tech section.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by raf_EVO
same issue here on occasion.. i feel the gears, but I'm hoping its just break-in like our brothers state here. what the heck is TRE anyway?
We are located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, about 2 hours from Detroit or Chicago.

Jon@TRE
http://www.teamrip.com/Evolution.html