Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ecu upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might also point out that the DSM crowd has had an alternative for a while, at least the 2G folks.

http://www.dsmlink.com

Yes, I'm biased as I'm one of the two owners and operators of ECMTuning, but I do believe a similar setup for the EVO VIII will fill the gap between hard coded chips and full standalones nicely. If this is at all possible, it will be developed, I can assure you. The idea would involve a single flashing of the ECU to include the new operations supported by the GUI. After that, all tuning can be done by the user. I'm anxious to see what "new" features can be added for the EVO version. I'm hoping to see boost being controlled by the ECU for starters! And I want my water sprayers on automatic by default when I start the car, damn it.

Thomas Dorris
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:01 PM

if you can afford it get a replacement ecu, u wont be sad..
Old Mar 26, 2003, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by trigeek37
my tuning experience has been different then many of you....
one of my first mods will be a ecu swap

I hope Apexi releases the PFC for the Evo, I adored mine in my fd, as did just about every I know who drove an fd. Easy to program and ad new maps, and with ad on datalogging piece fine tuning was easy, and the commander allowed simple on the fly adjustments.

I too am not digging the whole ecu flash thing... seems silly in this day & age to use an ecu setup like that as many people have laptops & such that they can use as a tuning tool.

but, I am far from an expert here... just my opinion.
We have it for the VII here, VIII will (should be the same) just little changes in the base programming...Maybe requesting APEXi USA might help bringing the product of there sooner??
PS I agree with you on the ECU mod FIRST... why limit your modding from the begining... Buy the standalone first, then mod until your heart or wallet is content. Saves for lot headaches later, especially going larger turbine or internal (engine)mods

Last edited by ishi; Mar 26, 2003 at 09:35 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 06:20 PM

Stand alone ECU

Anyone care to test out our ECU? Here in Los Angeles area.

We have Evo VII ECU for stock tuned to 30hp gain (fuel and ignition timing). We want to try before our Evo VIII expect next month..

If your car equip with Boost controller, it will be better too. Our kit was set with Greddy Profec B.

Call me 909-263-9211 for Rick
Old Mar 29, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Stand alone ECU

Originally posted by 2race4REAL
We have Evo VII ECU for stock tuned to 30hp gain (fuel and ignition timing). We want to try before our Evo VIII expect next month..
Wanna fill us in on the details? Which ECU is this? What datalogging facilities are provided? Tunable? Target price?

Thomas Dorris
Old Mar 29, 2003, 08:38 PM

Our background is from MIDORI SEI BI Japanese well known tuner for Nissan Skyline GTR's..

WE have our own flash re-program tool for Lan Evo cars used by a few selected Japanese tuners for stock ECU.

For local, we can do custom ECU setup at our co-op company whom they have 4 WD dyno. In Santa Ana, CA, we only have office where we also sell self diagnostic tools.

English website will be up in 2 weeks at
www.real-engineering.com and you can buy our products from our dealers in California area only at the moment.

Price? $800 with one time free ECU upgrade.

If we offer next stage with high cam or bigger size injectors as a kit and match with our ECU, we will offer free ECU upgrade.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 10:07 PM

Today, we were able to test Wing's (member from this forum) Evo VIII.

Read the program and find much different than Evo VII.

Will tune his car with Tomei cams, cam gears and our R.E.A.L. ECU as soon as our cams arrive here in USA.

I am a Newbie here and already got good support from forum and kind treat from EvolutionM.net members.

Special thanks to WING.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 03:23 PM

Re: Re: Ecu upgrade??

Originally posted by silverEVO8

The turbo timer can be a dangerous thing since it requires that you never forget to leave the car in neutral and pull the e-brake, I know, I know, you are supposed to do that all the time anyway, but the consequences of forgetting that without the turbo timer are a lot less likely to cause an accident.
Hmm... sounds like you didn't install it properly!
Old Apr 5, 2003, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Ecu upgrade??

Originally posted by DSM Power

Hmm... sounds like you didn't install it properly!
It was installed exactly as per the manufacturer's instructions. Boogard makes in Australia. It's quite simple, all you do is find the appropriate connector under the dash, near the steering column and plug it in. Then find a place to mount the little control box......
Old Apr 5, 2003, 05:40 PM

From what "I" understand. ECU should be the last mod you do, if you change something(turbo,exhaust, cams)after you put an "bolt-on" ECU, then the ECU is out of tune. Plus if your gonna mess around with ECU, might as well get a stand-alone-tunable ECU(motec etc..).
Old Apr 5, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not so....

Originally posted by TrippinFlip214
From what "I" understand. ECU should be the last mod you do, if you change something(turbo,exhaust, cams)after you put an "bolt-on" ECU, then the ECU is out of tune. Plus if your gonna mess around with ECU, might as well get a stand-alone-tunable ECU(motec etc..).
Actually, the ECU should be the first modification. If the ECU is properly mapped and made specifically for the car in question, It will allow the engine *as it is* to make more power. If then you choose to improve the exhaust and/or intake, or other mods that work with the ECU program, the horsepower gains realized can be much greater.
While it is true that a MOTEC or other such *high end* replacement ECUs can be programmed very specifically for the car in question, they are more expensive, difficult to installl and ver difficult to program properly without a Dyno.... Oh yeah, if you have a dyno and can tune your car with it, a Motec or similar ECU alone can realize very high gains in power, but at the expense of other factors (I would guess, emmissions, fuel economy and other factors)

Of course, this is all sheer speculation based on other people's reports and interpretation of various publications, manufacturers claims, etc. Your mileage might vary, etc....

Manuel
Old Apr 7, 2003, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by josh
hey

EvoDaWayToGo, there will probably be many options out there to increase power on your EVO. since shiv will get bbq'ed for trying to sell anything, i will mention it for him.

i would steer clear of "chips"(actual replacement chips on the mobo of the ECU). shiv (and probably others down the road) can overwrite the stock ecu (called flashing) and increase power. substantially. that coupled with some other basic mods will yield very usable power throughout the entire power band, as well as increase torque. "piggybacks" and "chips" tend to modify the signal to the ecu, and in my experience is not ideal. modern ECU's are pretty smart, and can learn around the modified signal. not to mention the modified signal is limited to only the signal it is modifying, not all the signals the ECU needs to make proper fuel and timing adjustments.

In my experience, a new chip is simply a properly (re)programmed replacement or flashed OEM chip. I'm not sure how ECU's work, but many times you must desolder the chip, burn the new program into it and re-solder. At least in terms of VW/Audi tuning, a "chipped" ECU is no different than OEM in terms of the way it functions. No signals are modified en-route to anything else, etc. If programmed properly by a reputable, tuner, a chip is the easiest way to go for VW/Audi. Operation is seamless, and all you feel is more power, plain and simple. Again, I'm not sure if you can do the same thing with the Evo, but the former brands do not require separate fuel and/or boost controllers. Also, AFAIK, you can't flash VW/Audi ECU's without removing the chip from the motherboard. Maybe is different?
Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Max Rebo

In my experience, a new chip is simply a properly (re)programmed replacement or flashed OEM chip. I'm not sure how ECU's work, but many times you must desolder the chip, burn the new program into it and re-solder. At least in terms of VW/Audi tuning, a "chipped" ECU is no different than OEM in terms of the way it functions. No signals are modified en-route to anything else, etc. If programmed properly by a reputable, tuner, a chip is the easiest way to go for VW/Audi. Operation is seamless, and all you feel is more power, plain and simple. Again, I'm not sure if you can do the same thing with the Evo, but the former brands do not require separate fuel and/or boost controllers. Also, AFAIK, you can't flash VW/Audi ECU's without removing the chip from the motherboard. Maybe is different?
You right!
I the case of EVO serise,
After Evo5 can be reprogram with some special interface of PC
and MMC's special Protocol.

in japan, sell interface like attached image.
One make only available flash ~Evo 6 and 6.5 (Tommi's)
Other one sell to ~EVO8.
Attached Thumbnails Ecu upgrade??-evo.jpg  
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Drivemecrazy

in japan, sell interface like attached image.
One make only available flash ~Evo 6 and 6.5 (Tommi's)
Other one sell to ~EVO8.

i have problems understanding what you are trying to say on your post.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Takashi i have problems understanding what you are trying to say on your post.
He's saying that the EVO ECUs are flashable. The units sold in Japan, like the one he's showing, are sold to do specific EVO ECUs in some cases. The flashing algorithm changes and, sometimes, the hardware used to do it changes as well. To reprogram the EVO8 ECU, you connect one of these devices up and reflash the ECU. You don't have to desolder a chip and install a socket. But you do have to get at the code in the ECU first. That's even trickier than reprogramming the thing.

And if you want to do more than fiddle around with the fuel and timing tables, you have to spend a bunch of time disassembling the code and really getting into it. It takes a little time, but a few really *good* products will show up soon for the US EVO8 ECU market. Just hold tight. They won't just be remapped fuel and timing curves...

Thomas Dorris

Quick Reply: Ecu upgrade??