Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any TITANIUM Downpipes out there?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2005, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titanium sucks for high heat. My dad flies turbine powered rc jets. They used to use titanium exhaust ducts for the turbines. Well my dad ended up burning a hole thru exhaust his turning his plane into a huge ball of flame. It was pretty cool but I learned a nice lesson that day
Old Oct 8, 2005, 03:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually, titanium can be amazing for high heat....several cars come with titanium rods and surely the heat inside the engine is insanely high, and it is subject to enormous stress. It;s tensile strength is also amazing, which is why it is used in such high stress applications.

However, just because it is titanium means nothing...there is good ti and bad, just like good stainless and bad.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
actually, titanium can be amazing for high heat....several cars come with titanium rods and surely the heat inside the engine is insanely high, and it is subject to enormous stress. It;s tensile strength is also amazing, which is why it is used in such high stress applications.

However, just because it is titanium means nothing...there is good ti and bad, just like good stainless and bad.
This is avsolutely correct!

Did no one read the quoted text from Burns?

There are numerous kinds of titanium and titanium alloys, each with different thermal and strength properties, some of which CAN be advantageous for exhaust applications.

I have no idea what kind of titanium is being used in the APBoss downpipe, nor the A-Spec components, but I am sure (or would hope) that they are aware of all of this and havetaken into account when producing their components.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Speaking of high stress uses for titanium... random fact: they make the shell of submarines out of plates of titanium alloy. Thats food for thought as far as titanium's strength and application. But...

Pure titanium is very brittle. Thats why alloys are used that are less brittle. It is still more brittle than SS. It will be stronger and lighter if the impurities are kept to a min. SS will bend slightly over its limits before breaking. But Ti will just break when its limits are exceeded.

IMO there is not a drastic enough weight difference between a Ti and SS downpipe or even complete exhaust to justify the price and extra work necessary. There is a lot of stress on the dp from heat and movement/vibration of the motor that i believe SS would be better suited for a dp.

IMO Ti is more of a status piece in exhausts. The benefits are not great enough to justify a Ti exhaust.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any1 know how much the stock catback system weighs?
Old Oct 8, 2005, 08:18 PM
Account Disabled

its not light.....my guess would be in the 40 lbs range for the catback
Old Oct 8, 2005, 08:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being that I used to fabricate the exit nozzles for the RB211 and V2500 lines (Rohr), I think I might know a little about Ti and heat. However there are many different grades of Ti like in any other modern metal used in current applications. For the most part, if you stay under 1780 degrees (if I remember right), you will get no alpha-case formation/degradation.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

its not light.....my guess would be in the 40 lbs range for the catback
yeah i think its likes like in the low 40s!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

so did anyone ended up buying the apboss TI dp, and tested it???