Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

8 inch SPAL fan on stock oil cooler!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ex-honda
This is a good idea but you set it up the wrong way. The purpose of the fan is to pull in air away from the cooler. With this set up, unless you wired it backwards, the fan is pulling air away from the cooler and when you are moving, the air is being pushed to go through the oil cooler. It's fighting the air flow. You should have mounted it on the opposite side so it pulls the air through the oil cooler and at the same time the force of the air when you are moving is helping move the air faster. The faster you move the air the cooler it gets. Science 101.
It is a pusher fan (like the AC condensor fan), not a puller.

Keith
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spla Fan on engine oil cooler

This is a good mod. I monitored oil temps on a couple of track days with air temps in the mid 90's. At Gingerman I had oil temps in the 160-170 degree range after 6 laps. I would slow down and the temps would go back down to 210-220 in one cool down lap. So I decided to put a big screen window in my inner fender or fender liner. When I went to my next track day at Putnam Park I ran into an automotive engineer who said it was a bad idea because the wheel well is a high pressure area. Sure enough on a day where outside temps were within 2 degrees of Gingerman the oil temps were 175-180 degrees after 6 laps. Gingerman and Putnam Park are fairly similar tracks with respect to full throttle time. So, Zeus, do not open up the "vents' in the fender liner. There is a sizable opening straight down from the back of the oil cooler. The trick is how to make this a low pressure area while being so close to the tire which is trying to sling air away from the tread. I think the 8" pusher is the best fix to this problem. I'm not too keen on the idea of tapping in to the radiator fan circuit. For track work I would rather turn on the oil cooler fan manually before I go out. There is no question that your engine oil will get hot when hot lapping. It is also good to cool the oil down quickly during the cool down lap because oxidation and thermal break down are greatly accelerated at high oil temps over 140 degrees.

Now what we have to figure out how to keep the tranny temps down. Those of you with torque sensing diffs like the Quaife will have even hotter tranny temps than those of us who are front diff deficient.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

To help cool your transfercase, run some ducting to your TC, similar to brake cooling ducts. The TC already has some cooling fins on it, so more air should help in keeping it cool.

l8r)
Old Oct 10, 2005, 05:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silverghost
This is a good mod. I monitored oil temps on a couple of track days with air temps in the mid 90's. At Gingerman I had oil temps in the 160-170 degree range after 6 laps. I would slow down and the temps would go back down to 210-220 in one cool down lap. So I decided to put a big screen window in my inner fender or fender liner. When I went to my next track day at Putnam Park I ran into an automotive engineer who said it was a bad idea because the wheel well is a high pressure area. Sure enough on a day where outside temps were within 2 degrees of Gingerman the oil temps were 175-180 degrees after 6 laps. Gingerman and Putnam Park are fairly similar tracks with respect to full throttle time. So, Zeus, do not open up the "vents' in the fender liner. There is a sizable opening straight down from the back of the oil cooler. The trick is how to make this a low pressure area while being so close to the tire which is trying to sling air away from the tread. I think the 8" pusher is the best fix to this problem. I'm not too keen on the idea of tapping in to the radiator fan circuit. For track work I would rather turn on the oil cooler fan manually before I go out. There is no question that your engine oil will get hot when hot lapping. It is also good to cool the oil down quickly during the cool down lap because oxidation and thermal break down are greatly accelerated at high oil temps over 140 degrees.

Now what we have to figure out how to keep the tranny temps down. Those of you with torque sensing diffs like the Quaife will have even hotter tranny temps than those of us who are front diff deficient.
Of course I'd only suggest such a thing with a high cfm fan... otherwise, well, you went there...
Old Oct 10, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Yes... it is a PUSHER fan.... and I will have some more data after my next track day!... Also I am going to make it a manual Switch....
Old Oct 10, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

great idea!
Old Nov 13, 2005, 09:55 PM

I am working on an upgraded oil cooler setup for you guys that mounts in the stock location, with coolers from Setrab USA, they also have push/pull fan setups as well. If your oil is heating up it may not be too bad idea to go to a bit larger core
Old Nov 14, 2005, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

I think regardless of what kind of "hard data" is eventually provided, there will be a noticeable differece in oil temps.

Regardless of the CFM of the fan or whether it's a pusher or puller fan, this modification will improve the efficiency of the OEM oil cooler without upgrading to a larger unit.

for a good mod!
Old May 22, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 3kgt Concepts
I am working on an upgraded oil cooler setup for you guys that mounts in the stock location, with coolers from Setrab USA, they also have push/pull fan setups as well. If your oil is heating up it may not be too bad idea to go to a bit larger core
any setrab bolt on coolers yet?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

I use to do this with my stock side mount on my DSM and had it on a switch now i use the spal fan on my new big frountmount for the part that is behind the bumper.

But i think this would work really good on the oil cooler.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

I thought our oil cooler system was on a thermostat?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

anyone else not seeing the pic?/
Old Mar 7, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would love to see some pics
Old Jun 3, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

+1 on the pics
Old Aug 19, 2007, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

+2 for pics? just found this thread on a search again. any info/pics on how you mounted the fan would be great

Quick Reply: 8 inch SPAL fan on stock oil cooler!