Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Spike!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2005, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTKage
all right thanks i ll try a mbc nxt time i go to the track and see how i do.
thx for the advice
Sorry to be so picky, but I don't think you will see any difference at the track (drag strip, right?), because you never go below 5500rpm while drag racing. I was referring to knock being seen at the peak torque area (3600-3800), which is where the boost spikes...and then residually up to about 5000rpm. I'm more concerned with your daily driving safety and power delivery. At the track, you probably won't see more than 21-22 peak after each shift, and then it will taper off more towards redline. Since you have the factory rich tune, that boost level will not cause knock on the high end.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use the blue spring on the blow off valve thats the one for the evo i asked around, unless your going above 24psi, its good from 20-24 psi. Change the spring in the diverter valve im pretty sure that would help you. To the blue one, the others are to strong or to weak for what you are running daily. The springs do make alot of diffrence, and lubricate the inside piece of the diverter valve

Last edited by Silver05Bullet; Oct 11, 2005 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Old Oct 11, 2005, 01:49 PM
Account Disabled

sorry not sure if i posted but i have an AMS turboback with testpipe!
Old Oct 11, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

oh lol, well then i am no concerned about the knock at all, like i said it goes to 23-24psi very rarely, only when i load the boost in highgear, daily driving it never happens...thanks anyway
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:02 PM
Account Disabled

Right so did i do something wrong or what??? Should i be concerned???? Thanx for the responces but whats my fix?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EMR8
Right so did i do something wrong or what??? Should i be concerned???? Thanx for the responces but whats my fix?
Uh, have you already gone back and switched the BOVs out to test it? How can we know what the fix is when we don't even understand the problem yet? It shouldn't take you 5 mins to follow my troubleshooting suggestion from the beginning of this thread...
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:08 PM
Account Disabled

Well it seems that people are blaming it on the exhaust. And others are saying that the spike is normal so im a little confused.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:16 PM
Account Disabled

Also what would the factory one have to do with boost control or the aftermarket one?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Well it seems that people are blaming it on the exhaust. And others are saying that the spike is normal so im a little confused.
You haven't even given us your mod list, so we have no clue what is wrong. You only mentioned that you installed a Forge DV, then experienced an unnatural boost spike as a result. I told you what to do and told you that the original response from someone else was irrelevant since it had nothing to do with your car.

I later told someone ELSE that HIS boost spike was due to having a TBE on an otherwise stock car, because he's still working off the stock boost control solenoid. With the reduced back pressure, the boost spikes and holds higher than it does on the stock exhaust. I was responding to HIM...I quoted him when giving my response. I wasn't responding to you. At the time, we didn't even know you had an exhaust. You later mentioned you had an exhaust, but no one responded to that, because it still is not relevant unless you installed the exhaust AT THE SAME TIME as the Forge DV. I assumed that the exhaust was already on the car before the Forge DV when you were NOT seeing the unnatural boost spike. Is this correct, or were you leaving out highly valuable information?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Also what would the factory one have to do with boost control or the aftermarket one?
Could you re-word this? I can't understand what you're asking. Are you saying you have an MBC now?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:23 PM
Account Disabled

I appologize. I have a turboback exhasut and thats it. I didnt have a boost spike problm before or after the exhaust. Only after the DV was installed.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:25 PM
Account Disabled

Sorry again! Reworded- What does the factory/aftermarket DV have to do with boost control??? The only thing it could affect in terms of boost is a loss of boost due to a leak. right?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry again! Reworded- What does the factory/aftermarket DV have to do with boost control??? The only thing it could affect in terms of boost is a loss of boost due to a leak. right?
Ok, yeah, you asked this way back in your original post. Installing the DV should not affect your boost like this, but it could have something to do with you using the wrong spring. Since I'm not sure, that's why I said to go switch back to stock real quick. You probably could have done this a long time ago and already finished troubleshooting. You changed one variable, and then witnessed a change elsewhere. Remove that variable and see if the problem persists. If it DOES persist with the stock DV, then you probably messed something up in the vaccuum/pressure system. If it does not persists, then think about the spring you used and whether or not your particular Forge DV is messed up (not normal). You can also call Forge and get their help, I'm sure...
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

I'm having that same spike due to larger flowing exhaust and stock boost control. Just ordered a Forge MBC.

Mine spikes to 22-24psi then drops to 20 psi for a sec and by that time the taper kicks in and it goes to 16-17psi, that's a big spread from high to low boost. MBC should fix it, I will post back when I get mine and put it on.

How much boost is safe to run with no tune and just a full 3" TBE? 20psi?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:41 PM
Account Disabled

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Boost Spike!