Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Vivid Racing Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2003 | 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leave it to internet forums to start talking about lawsuits before all the facts are even laid out on the table... yeesh.

Let Mitsubishi take care of the situation (assuming there is one in the first place, of course). They have been incredibly responsive to all the info we have provided to them. They are really on top of their game. I'm sure they will do what they need to do in order to rectify any potential problem, global to the entire run or isolated to a small batch of cars.

FWIW, it's not unusual for issues to crop up a car's first year of production. It's happened to Mazda, Acura, Ford, BMW, Porsche, etc,. But once the problem is confirmed and an appropriate solution is determined, a polite little recall notice finds its way to the mailboxes of owners, asking them to drop off their cars to their dealership. The dealership is then instructed to perform the necessary work. And in very short time, the problem is solved and the customer goes back to enjoying their now-improved car. That's a lot nicer than getting all bent out of shape right now and making a stink about something that one isn't fully informed about.

Best Regards,
shiv
www.vishnutuning.com
Old Apr 22, 2003 | 01:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh no, the rest of the country other than California has the "ringers". Stop it guy!! Your expertise is not in question, however your ego has a need to deflate a bit. Tuner you are, but in this case you complained about hp deficiencies that clearly do not exist. Tuner you are--Lord of the tuners you are not. There is no way in hell that a 180 hp at the wheels will be able to propel a car to go 13.5 or better in the 1/4 mile. NOway!!!!!!!!! Maybe the case may be that west coast got humped by emmission detuning. The rest of the country is smiling . Our cars are going 12.7's with an air filter and a cheap old V-AFC. Good luck on promoting more mysteries and you being Holmes to solve them.
Old Apr 22, 2003 | 01:45 AM
Evolving Member

OR maybe he just got Firday's batch of EVO
Old Apr 22, 2003 | 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

Did it even occur to you that "Holmes," aka Shiv was the one that discovered that Mazda was overrating the Miata when it claimed 155 horsepower? I believe a little patience and courtesy is in order before mud slinging his way begins. At the very least keep an open mind and stop with the 1/4 mile posturing.

Brett.
Old Apr 22, 2003 | 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by superz
There is no way in hell that a 180 hp at the wheels will be able to propel a car to go 13.5 or better in the 1/4 mile. NOway!!!!!!!!!
Even if you added another exclamation mark to the end of that phrase, you'd still be wrong. And I'll explain why (again).

180 wheel hp is is quite substantial on our dyno, btw, which should not be compared directly to the results of other dyno types. No surprises here. This point should hit home especially considering Turbo mag's recent dyno comparison formally illustrated the big differences between a number of different dyno types. Moral of the story: Not all dyno hp are created equal.

As for your 1/4 mile ranting, there is no question that a 180 wheel hp EVO (as measured on our dyno) is capable of running quite quickly as most of that power is made as early as 4800rpm. That's a lot more area under the curve than just about any other 180 wheel hp cars we've tested.

This, BTW, illustrates the inherent problem with deriving peak hp estimates from 1/4 mile results. .

Best Regards,

Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Apr 22, 2003 at 02:20 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2003 | 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Shiv's horses are just bigger than anyone else's.
Old Apr 22, 2003 | 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

It's been clearly documented that 1/4 mile trap speeds correlate extremely well with horsepower numbers, more so than any other common measurement of performance. You can find these studies on the web.
I thought everyone had gotten past arguing about Shiv's dyno results. Shiv says he has the most accurate dyno type, and others say it underrates the horsepower. I personally think that his dyno underestimates horsepower, but the conclusion I've made is that we shouldn't take dyno results as absolute values. We should use the dynos as tuning tools to generate relative results as we tune the engines.
Old Apr 22, 2003 | 09:47 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ru4real
We should use the dynos as tuning tools to generate relative results as we tune the engines.
The problem with this thought is 1hp difference should be the same as 1hp difference on another dyno? I mean the mustang dyno claimed that the evo is 50whp greater than the wrx where as shiv's claim 20hp. So is if shiv's packages adds 20hp to his dyno meaning 35hp on another

I have no problem with the differences in different dyno but i do have a problem when this kit adds this much hp. If a tuner claims thier kits add 50hp and another tuner on a different dyno claims he added 50hp to thier kit. Which 50 hp is greater? This is important for us consumers and a time slip usually answers our performance questions.
Old Apr 22, 2003 | 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr

The problem with this thought is 1hp difference should be the same as 1hp difference on another dyno? I mean the mustang dyno claimed that the evo is 50whp greater than the wrx where as shiv's claim 20hp. So is if shiv's packages adds 20hp to his dyno meaning 35hp on another
I didn't say that 1 hp on Dyno A would equal 1 hp on Dyno B. By saying relative results, I meant results on the same dyno. When a person tunes their car on Dyno A, they can compare those results to future mods and measurements made on Dyno A. We still need to keep results from different dynos isolated.

I have no problem with the differences in different dyno but i do have a problem when this kit adds this much hp. If a tuner claims thier kits add 50hp and another tuner on a different dyno claims he added 50hp to thier kit. Which 50 hp is greater? This is important for us consumers and a time slip usually answers our performance questions.
Right, a tuner can claim a power gain on one type of dyno, but that won't apply to other types of dynos. In the end, I trust 1/4 mile trap speeds more than dyno claims.
Old Apr 22, 2003 | 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Shiv,
No comments here, just a couple questions. There was talk in a forum about the different settings between your's and Vivid's DynoDynamics Dynometer (based on different numbers, 188-9 vs 233hp (93 oct.)). You had said you were talking to the manufacturer and Vivid and that there would probably be a compromise between the two settings resulting in your numbers increasing and Vivids numbers decreasing (a little). What were the results or did I miss that part? This reply is not intended to degrade or imply negatively on either performance shop. Just asking if there was a compromise. I believe your talks with Mitsu can only help. Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2003 | 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Shiv's horses are just bigger than anyone else's.
When you are on a diet you always weigh yourself on the same scale. Same with the dyno. Shiv's horses ARE bigger than everyone elses. Ten hp on Shiv's dyno means your car has more ***** than 10 hp on anyone elses dyno. Likewise, 180 hp on his dyno is some serious juice. Just my newbie observation.
By the way Shiv, when are you going to update your site? I want more scoop on "Phase II!!"
n8