Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Heavy Duty Twin Carbon Review...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exedy Heavy Duty Twin Carbon Review...

it may be a little early to start this but i figured I'd post up what I know so far. I had the Exedy twin carbon (heavy duty PP) clutch installed in my car between weds/thurs. My mechanic (owns an evo himself and has the standard twin metallic) drove the car here to the shop from his shop which is about 1 mile away. he comes in and tells me he's unsure about this clutch because in 3rd gear at partial throttle around 2k (under a decent amount of load) it felt like it was starting to slip. This made me extremely nervous so I thought about it all day. I called exedy to verify proper break in procedure and asked them about heating it up etc... Then 7pm rolled around and i got to drive the car. I think because he drove it right after he put it in and it was completely cold it may have slipped a tiny bit.

First thing I noticed is when you push the clutch in it def makes a decent amount of noise. Sounds like those cat toys that have the ***** that spin around in the circle going real fast (this is the best thing i can think of to describe the sound!!)

engagement is a little rough and its presently grabbing in the middle of the pedal throw versus My act and stock clutch grabbing up top. i feel like this is how it should grab. It def engages rough though.

downshifting requires rev matching or the car kidna bucks.

crusing around low/partial throttle theres really no noice, only a little on the Decel there is some.

Shifting even when just cruising is 100% times better. I was considering a tranny rebuild while i had it out but its def not needed. the car shifts amazing, I cant wait to get this thing broken in so I can bang gears and see how it performs.

i'm going to put at least 600 miles before I launch or try banging gears. but as of now, it feels great. i'llpost more after break in