Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shepherd Racing Transmission rebuild / Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
^ Where in Chicago are you? We should meet up sometime. I have no second gear or reverse and drive approx. 100 miles a day to school. lol I need mine built soon...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just our experience.

I'm not sure our clutch was the best fit for the tranny.

Back in '05 we had a shepherd tranny installed with an '05 1st and 5th, also with an exedy twin disk clutch installed in our '03. Had difficulty engaging 5th in speeds above 50 mph, talk about "lugging an engine". Essentially we needed to bang it into gear or double-clutch, both pains in the a$$.

Fast-forward to '10, we replaced fried exedy with stock setup; now it slips right into 5th like it's teflon coated regardless of speed.

Not blaming tranny, maybe it was clutch.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
^ Where in Chicago are you? We should meet up sometime. I have no second gear or reverse and drive approx. 100 miles a day to school. lol I need mine built soon...
dude im in crystal lake!!! my Dad owns a resturant in lake in the hills its called dinos pizza. i think ive seen you befroe no spoiler and tinted tails except turnsignals?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bogie
Just our experience.

I'm not sure our clutch was the best fit for the tranny.

Back in '05 we had a shepherd tranny installed with an '05 1st and 5th, also with an exedy twin disk clutch installed in our '03. Had difficulty engaging 5th in speeds above 50 mph, talk about "lugging an engine". Essentially we needed to bang it into gear or double-clutch, both pains in the a$$.

Fast-forward to '10, we replaced fried exedy with stock setup; now it slips right into 5th like it's teflon coated regardless of speed.

Not blaming tranny, maybe it was clutch.
it probably was the clutch.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, talk about old post find, haha seeing this cracked me up. Nostalgic seein Al's posts for some reason it reminds me of that ***** Wartalon who used to be on here who diss'd everyone. wonder what ever happened to him.
On topic, I love my shep ultimate ratio tranny best shizz ever. No grinds, easy shifts and 20k miles later still feels like new.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kilratio
Wow, talk about old post find, haha seeing this cracked me up. Nostalgic seein Al's posts for some reason it reminds me of that ***** Wartalon who used to be on here who diss'd everyone. wonder what ever happened to him.
On topic, I love my shep ultimate ratio tranny best shizz ever. No grinds, easy shifts and 20k miles later still feels like new.
thats awesome man. yeah john shepp is the 1 evo trans man by farrrr!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frank120
dude im in crystal lake!!! my Dad owns a resturant in lake in the hills its called dinos pizza. i think ive seen you befroe no spoiler and tinted tails except turnsignals?
Syed??
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frank120
Syed??
Frank?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The REM ISF process doesn't make the gears stronger, it makes them more tolerable to surface cracks that propagate to ultimate fracture of the gear from fatigue.

I would go through shep but it doesn't say anything about shot peening on the list of options.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

everyone here loves there Shep trans?

i was hearing horror stories after 5k miles that you couldnt get into 5th and it started grinding like no other. i guess i need more input
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginglingston11

i was hearing horror stories after 5k miles that you couldnt get into 5th and it started grinding like no other. i guess i need more input
Based on the other thread, there is a big step between 4th and 5th on the 5 speed and only 1 synchro. Supposedly it's a lot for 1 synchro to take. Some people may offer a double synchro option for 5th gear, but I am not sure if Shep does.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginglingston11

All of those people had/have an Exedy Twin & someone in this thread posted that same experience which was remedied with the removal of the Exedy. Do the math
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

So what clutch would be recommended? ACT HdSS?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VRSF Tiago
All of those people had/have an Exedy Twin & someone in this thread posted that same experience which was remedied with the removal of the Exedy. Do the math
This is true. I've read a lot of complaints about the Exedy Twin clutch with shep transmission. I think i read somewhere that Shep recommend not using it, but using some other kind of clutch, not sure which one though. I thought they offered the double synchro for 5th gear a while back but stopped....not sure.

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
So what clutch would be recommended? ACT HdSS?
I too would like to know this haha
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow cant use one of the best clutches exedy twin i know a couple people with sheps trans and exedies doing fine tscompusa comes to mind but if thats true it looks like im either getting a strictly modified built trans or a buschur trans.

Quick Reply: Shepherd Racing Transmission rebuild / Upgrade