Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2005, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GDB
Ester-based oil.
bingo!

Motul 300V for racing and 8100 Ester E-Tech for street.

winston
Old Oct 18, 2005, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Amsoil preferably but Mobil One if I am out of Amsoil at the time.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 09:54 PM

Lets not forget about the filter, and it's ability to remove abrasives from the oil. The mobil 1 is ok if your desperate but amsoil is the best!
Old Oct 18, 2005, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

I use 5-30 is that okey?
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jin4g63
I use 5-30 is that okey?
Up north it should be OK, not in the southern heat though. I would swap back to OEM spec 10w next oil change, but your will not suffer damage from a use or two of 5w.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

76 pure synthetic

10w-40

or Amsoil

Unfortunately doing what the manufacturer suggests sometime isn't always the best thing to do
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Mobil1 10w30
Old Oct 19, 2005, 01:05 AM

Mobil 10w30 in my older cars but I run Royal Purple in the evo.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:37 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by i11matticc
i think royal purple is the best, i made this point earlier but no one commented on it, mobil 1 is not a pure synthetic anymore. this all started when castrol syntec used a close to synthetic as their oil and labeled it synthetic. mobil sued castrol over this, claiming false advertising, however castrol won the lawsuit.

because of this, mobil figured if you cant beat em, join em, and decided to do the same, which is why mobil one does not say synthetic, is says syntec or some other $hit, i forgot exactly what, they did the switch over as well because it cost less to produce.

in conclusion, royal purple is the only true synthetic that i can think of off the top of my head, if anyone disagrees with me or would like to add any additional input, id like to hear about it because id be interested in hearing how others feel about this
I believe you were MISINFORMED,and thus misinforming the people of this forum.Yes,MOBIL 1 is Fully synthetic,period.Here is a Link to Mobil 1 FAQ,hope this helps you to sort things out and hope this helps the rest of the people of this forum that you Misinformed
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...AQs.aspx#FAQs1
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

I used Amsoil in my ITR and Royal Purple in the EVO...5W-30

these are the only two I will use.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO_JOE
Unfortunately doing what the manufacturer suggests sometime isn't always the best thing to do
They actually prefer whale oil, but you can't get that in the US.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 08:08 AM

because of this, mobil figured if you cant beat em, join em, and decided to do the same, which is why mobil one does not say synthetic, is says syntec or some other $hit, i forgot exactly what, they did the switch over as well because it cost less to produce.

in conclusion, royal purple is the only true synthetic that i can think of off the top of my head, if anyone disagrees with me or would like to add any additional input, id like to hear about it because id be interested in hearing how others feel about this
Disagreed, it is Castrol Syntec that is a hydrcracked oil and not full synthetic, not mobil 1.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40!

Also, Castrol does make a full synthetic. Its a 0w-30 oil made specifficlly in Germany. You really have to look for it to find it. It must say "Made in Germany" on the back of the bottle. Most of the time the oil has a bright green color to it. Some have been known to be a amber color.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 09:38 AM

I believe that manufacturer's suggestions are good for business, not always for your car. You don't think mobil gets a kickback for putting it's logo on our oil caps or mitsubishi pays half what it normally would for the oil? It could say 10-30 full synthetic only! but it doesn't. I've seen commercials for Mobil when they talk about all the high perfomance cars that are factory filled with their oil. You get better gas mileage with certain mods, but the manufacturers don't do those mods for you because they are not cost effective to them. Do the research and use common sence. I use Amsoil due to all the friction, wear, heat, drain interval, rust protection and other benefits over Mobil 1 that "independent Labs" find through research. But bottom line, make sure it's full and clean and you should be O.K.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turboDan
I believe you were MISINFORMED,and thus misinforming the people of this forum.Yes,MOBIL 1 is Fully synthetic,period.Here is a Link to Mobil 1 FAQ,hope this helps you to sort things out and hope this helps the rest of the people of this forum that you Misinformed
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...AQs.aspx#FAQs1

ok, i guess i was misinformed, i apologize...you learn something new everyday...

Quick Reply: best engine oil?