Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stroker & cams

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So any definite answer of what cams to go with. Looking at just HKS brand. Would 280s work fine for my application? I wont care much of lowend TQ as the stroker compensates for just want to know if I gain Uptop comparing to 264/272 and by how much HP???
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by NDgsx
FWIW you should call comp and FP before saying they are an off the shelf item. The centerline, at least on the DSM cams, is different for the FP cams.
The reason you don't find anything in their "literature" is because they go into absolutely no detail. Why don't you call the company that comp worked with to design the cams, which would be FP, and find out for yourself.
I don't give a hoot about DSM cams. The specs for the EVO 4G63 cams, including the lobe centerlines, are exactly the same as what's found in the Comp Cams catalog. No need to get tight with me, I'm just telling you what's there FWIW.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by MyCre8n=Evlshn
You won't have a better result that going with Piper racing cams. Your idle is going to be slightly lumpy with any of the aggressive cams, but for big torque and fast spool, you should really be looking at aggressive lift. For that, the Piper racing cams, with 12mm of lift (11 for HKS) will be the best. The duration is still 272 but your springs will keep up, especially if you use Piper springs (they recommend those with the cams) or some dual springs. Everyone has been using HKS 272's over here, but in the rest of the world they're getting the best results with Piper's profile for more low end and faster spool. Your idle depends really quite a bit on tuning and the idle can get really pretty smooth with careful tuning. No difference in idle, from what I've heard between HKS 272 and Piper. I don't think you want to go with 280's ... I think that's too long of duration and the reason most aren't going with that long of a duration. You might also be running into too much overlap with 280's but I don't know that, it's just my speculation as overlap was a concern with 272's and most people found it just barely wasn't a problem (from what I remember).
We have been working with Piper and very soon we will be offering some pretty aggresive set-ups.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aggresive as in "daily driver but a bit lumpy" aggresive, or aggresive as in "take it directly to the track, do not pass go" aggresive? I do not mind a little lope, although I have completely tuned that out of my current 272's, but I do not want pull up to the light and stall aggresivness.

And by the way milki, I am running HKS 272's and have been happy so far. That is not to say that there may not be better out there, but they have been pretty good so far.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by joeycoates
Aggresive as in "daily driver but a bit lumpy" aggresive, or aggresive as in "take it directly to the track, do not pass go" aggresive? I do not mind a little lope, although I have completely tuned that out of my current 272's, but I do not want pull up to the light and stall aggresivness.

And by the way milki, I am running HKS 272's and have been happy so far. That is not to say that there may not be better out there, but they have been pretty good so far.

Aggresive as in kits that include solid lifters, springs and retainers.

Piper has several different applications that do not require a solid lifter, and they have some very aggresive profile's that do. It all just depends on what you are trying to do well.