Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Organic Clutch Review Needed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2005, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No high RPM lockout? ^^^
Old Oct 20, 2005, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Lockout is not a clutch "parts" issue, unless something is terribly wrong. Lockout has been found to be more of an clutch "adjustment" issue or problems with syncros, etc. But ACT has a recent stigma because of the title of a couple threads. If you have the time to read up on it I think you will realize our parts are performing very well.

I am not trying to advertise here though. IMO, the Exedy organic is a good clutch for mods that produce modest torque increases. If you plan on taking it a bit farther, consider our HDSS organic clutch or another clutch with a bit more bite than the Exedy Stage 1.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Dirk. I don't believe the dirt on ACT. Just want to know if there are any problems with the Exedy organic.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

I have had the Exedy organic for about 1000 miles, and I'm not too happy with it yet. I got the flywheel resurfaced, but am having terrible clutch shudder problems. It gets darn right violent sometimes. And it's not just when the clutch is cold either. I took my time to break it in properly, but that didn't help apparently. I hope it goes away soon.

And maybe this is just driver error, but I have a harder time launching with this clutch. The engagement zone on the clutch pedal is much smaller, so I am either burning up the clutch or bogging it. The stock clutch had more play. It's also very grabby.

Any thoughts from others with this clutch or from clutch experts like Dirk?
Old Nov 27, 2005, 05:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by whitet777
I have had the Exedy organic for about 1000 miles, and I'm not too happy with it yet. I got the flywheel resurfaced, but am having terrible clutch shudder problems. It gets darn right violent sometimes. And it's not just when the clutch is cold either. I took my time to break it in properly, but that didn't help apparently. I hope it goes away soon.

And maybe this is just driver error, but I have a harder time launching with this clutch. The engagement zone on the clutch pedal is much smaller, so I am either burning up the clutch or bogging it. The stock clutch had more play. It's also very grabby.

From your description, it doesn't even sound like an Exedy organic clutch at all. The Exedy organic is built like stock, except for more clamp load. With this in mind, it shouldn't have a narrow engagement zone, be grabby, and it shouldn't chatter at all. It should have a feel much like stock. Remember that clutch chatter is basically the engine bouncing around as the clutch is engaging, so check the other parts as well. If the clutch is installed correctly, I would take a good look at the engine mounts, bolts, etc to be sure everything is up to snuff and tight. I don't know what more I could recommend without seeing the car.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

That's an interesting point about the engine mounts because I know the mechanic had to move the engine forward to get at the transmission for its rebuild. I'll check it out. I wasn't too alarmed about the chatter though because the stock one used to do that too after about 5000 miles or so. It's much worse with the Exedy aftermarket one though.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

i have this clutch. its great. i agree with all the positive posts above but i do get clutch chatter. everything was looked over and nothing was found. should i live with the chatter?
so far 800 miles on it.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting rExTuHfEr. I'm curious to hear what others think.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

I wore mine out in less than 5,000 miles. I switched to a exedy hyper and have no problems so far.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have a clutch line?

Chris
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

^^^Not real sure what you mean, of course I have a clutch line. It is the stock one and it was flushed and bled by a professional.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

^^^Not real sure what you mean, of course I have a clutch line. It is the stock one and it was flushed and bled by a professional.

Try replacing the stock one with an aftermarket one without the clutch restrictor.

Chris
Old Nov 28, 2005, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

yep that should help alot when u got notch feeling while u shifting
get ss line and remove restrictor....
Old Dec 12, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

I just won a bid on a Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit from ebay. Now all I need is a lightened flywheel before I do the install.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sierrany
I was just going to post on this forum about this clutch.

I installed the exedy organic clutch over the weekend, along with an SS line and a shortened slave cylinder rod.

So far so good. It feels almost the same as stock and my car is a daily driver in NYC

I installed it with th CCI lightweight flywheel(special from Gruppe-S)

I'll let you know how its going in a week if you like.
I didn't think that the Exedy organic single disc or the ACT HDSS needed a shorter slave cylinder rod???? Am I mistaken? I have an HDSS ready to install, and I don't want to get stuck without all the parts. Dirk?

Quick Reply: Exedy Organic Clutch Review Needed