Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Organic Clutch Review Needed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
I didn't think that the Exedy organic single disc or the ACT HDSS needed a shorter slave cylinder rod???? Am I mistaken? I have an HDSS ready to install, and I don't want to get stuck without all the parts. Dirk?
There is no need to change the slave cylinder rod. A longer or shorter rod is adjusted for by the hydraulics just like normal wear is. The only difference is how much fluid is used in the system.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Well in less than a year and about 3000 miles the Exedy organic is slipping. Granted there are some 10 autocrosses on the clutch, but the stock one lasted longer. I'm not pleased. It always was hard to launch the car with the organic and not have a terrible clutch burn (much harder than stock). Toll booths were murder with having to creep forward one car at a time. By the third soft launch forward at the toll, the clutch would stink. I was babying it too. In an autocross, no matter how soft I launched it, it would stink. I had it professionally installed also, so that should rule out the bad install variable.

I notice the engagement is at the top of the clutch pedal travel now no matter where I adjust the pedal. I am guessing that is telling me that the disc is wearing out.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

So, do you have a recommendation on a different clutch? I am looking in to buying one.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Having been thru more than my fair share of clutches, I'm back to the ACT HD. That is after bashing their product on several posts(which I now regret). Don't make the same mistake I did, thinking more expensive ones( eg. twin disc type) last longer. Its a great clutch on the street and I've had know problems whatsoever, like high rpm lock-out. Excellent clutch and price.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

How about the ACT's durability? Do you launch hard regularly like in an autocross?
Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have the Exedy organic on the shop car with the Gruppe-S lightened flywheel (about 300whp, 280ft/lbs right now). The pedal feel is pretty good, better than my Subaru which has the ACT street clutch. The drivability is good, there is a slight clutch chatter at idle mainly due to the lightened flywheel. We play with launch control all the time, smoke the crap out of the clutch, and after 10k miles I don't think it's at it's maximum clamping force yet (1/2 way through the clutch life). I would recommend the Exedy organic for any one sub 350 ft/lbs looking for an economical clutch. If you're making over 350ft/lbs, I would consider Exedy twin-plate, but it's pricey.

Hope that helps,

Gary
Gruppe-S

Oh and incidently we do have an insane special on the Exedy or ACT clutch w/ flywheel @ $599shipped right now.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitet777
How about the ACT's durability? Do you launch hard regularly like in an autocross?
I've been to 1 autocross event since the ACT was installed and its been fine. I really don't want to do to many hard launches/slips, because regardless of the clutch, I think you get a finite # of times you can get away with them.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Exedy Hyper Single and I could not be any unhapppier. I bought the car with this clutch installed already from a friend of mine. The driveability is'nt a problem at all, I actually like it.

The clutch chatter and noises on the other hand are almost Ghengis Khan like, barbaric. I like to "hear" my car when I drive, whether it be to enjoy it or to hear if something is wrong and I simply cant with this clutch. If i'm in 4th and I release the gas, it rattles and chatters like it's nobody's buisness. People look at me like my car is about to implode or something. My wife is'nt to thrilled about it either.

I'm open for any suggestions to a clutch that holds well, good for daily use, does'nt stink and smell, and does'nt chatter for Gods sake.........
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to here that. Been there done that(Exedy Hyper Single). I think you would be very happy with the ACT. Just take it easy breaking it in.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by number 8
Sorry to here that. Been there done that(Exedy Hyper Single). I think you would be very happy with the ACT. Just take it easy breaking it in.

So you had the Exedy Hyper single and know what I speak of? Thank god. You have now switched to which ACT? And can you do a mini comparison of the two if you don't mind, I really hate my clutch and want a new one. TIA.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

I've had mine for 6 months. This is just a great clutch. When this one does wear out I am definitely going to replace it with another one.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
We have the Exedy organic on the shop car with the Gruppe-S lightened flywheel (about 300whp, 280ft/lbs right now). The pedal feel is pretty good, better than my Subaru which has the ACT street clutch. The drivability is good, there is a slight clutch chatter at idle mainly due to the lightened flywheel. We play with launch control all the time, smoke the crap out of the clutch, and after 10k miles I don't think it's at it's maximum clamping force yet (1/2 way through the clutch life). I would recommend the Exedy organic for any one sub 350 ft/lbs looking for an economical clutch. If you're making over 350ft/lbs, I would consider Exedy twin-plate, but it's pricey.

Hope that helps,

Gary
Gruppe-S

Oh and incidently we do have an insane special on the Exedy or ACT clutch w/ flywheel @ $599shipped right now.
So why would my Exedy organic be slipping with much less abuse?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whitet777
I have had the Exedy organic for about 1000 miles, and I'm not too happy with it yet. I got the flywheel resurfaced, but am having terrible clutch shudder problems. It gets darn right violent sometimes. And it's not just when the clutch is cold either. I took my time to break it in properly, but that didn't help apparently. I hope it goes away soon.

And maybe this is just driver error, but I have a harder time launching with this clutch. The engagement zone on the clutch pedal is much smaller, so I am either burning up the clutch or bogging it. The stock clutch had more play. It's also very grabby.

Any thoughts from others with this clutch or from clutch experts like Dirk?
I just put one in my car with a brand new flywheel. I'm having the same issues but not as pronounced. I get shudder during engagement from a stop and the engagement zone is very small. It also gives me a much heaver clutch pedal than I'd expected from the descriptions I've heard about this unit. I expected it to be much more like stock than it is.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Mine is getting replaced today with the OEM.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 03:36 AM
Evolving Member

I won't go back to OEM even if my Exedy dies the same horrible death as yours.

And as my unit gets broken in (still less than 100 miles on it) the engagement is smoothing out and the zone seems to be getting wider -- or maybe just less grabby. Maybe Im just getting used to it but I know for sure it is getting much more smooth on take off. Except for reverse. Reverse shudder is still annoying. Almost reminds me of a car I drove once that had a solid disk.

Quick Reply: Exedy Organic Clutch Review Needed