Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch smell

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2005, 03:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch smell

ok so heres the story:

tonight i let my friend test drive my evo....... i let him launch it at a light just to let him get a feel for how they can take off. well he revs it @4krpm and does a little slip but for some reason the rpm's ran straight up to about 6-6.5krpm w/ the car barely moving. he then presses the clutch quikly and shifts to second.

so i make him pull over and smell that nasty clutch smell. i turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes before driving it back to my house. (about 5 minutes away)
it still grabs and feels the same w/ no problems. ( did a couple test like put it in 4th @3Krpm and flooring it making sure it grabs and builds boost and is fine)

my question is, how long will this smell last? i just took it for another drive hoping to air it out but i still smell it a little. (well when sticking my head under the hood).

btw, this all happend in the last hour. its about 3:20am here in california.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i did the same thing, let someone else drive and had the same smell, it will be gone after an hour.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 03:41 AM
Evolving Member

THANKS.....i just needed to hear it! (im no profesional driver, but i have never burnt my clutch, just a little scary)
Old Oct 24, 2005, 09:13 AM
Former Sponsor

It sounds like you buddy is no professional driver either... LOL.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Take it on the highway for a few miles and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rule #1: Never let anyone drive your car, not even your best friend - they will naturally drive it more agressively than yourself.

Rule #2: Never boost on crappy gas

Anyway, the smell will aventually go away, your friend just burned away 30% of your clutches short life, just dont do it again. I think most everyone has done this, including myself, twice, at least once. I have 23000 miles and my stock clutch is still holding so your OK.

Do yourself a favor and drive your friends car.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

I've gotten the clutch smell when launching it. Seeing as though you cannot dump the clutch on these cars without bogging. So I just don't launch anymore.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

so i drove it today to pick up my niece from school, about 8 miles away. i dont smell the clutch like it was from this morning (really strong w/ just the windows down), but if i pop my hood and get real close, i can still smell it a little. i guess its going away.......we'll see in a couple more drives. just still mad because i only have 3000miles on the car.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

ok so i put about 40 miles so far, and i cant smell it from the outside, but again if i pop the hood and lean over, i can still smell it a little. damn im ****..... i will not stop smelling under the hood until its gone.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2hot2handle
ok so i put about 40 miles so far, and i cant smell it from the outside, but again if i pop the hood and lean over, i can still smell it a little. damn im ****..... i will not stop smelling under the hood until its gone.
heh i think you'll be ok bro. I once spinned all 4 in the rain and after that my clutch smelled for like a 5 or 6 days. clutch still grabs strong to this day... 7xxx miles and that was back at like 3xxx.....
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xballsport
heh i think you'll be ok bro. I once spinned all 4 in the rain and after that my clutch smelled for like a 5 or 6 days. clutch still grabs strong to this day... 7xxx miles and that was back at like 3xxx.....
thanks, i love this forum......reason why im so **** about this is because on my last car (integra) i can dump the clutch and yes there was a little burnt smell to, but it went away litterally after a couple of miles.

now being that my evo only has a little over 3k, i just wanted a little reissurance. and yes the smell is slowly going away, just not as fast as i wanted.