Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO's transmission #$%^$

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2005, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im going to agree with the original poster that the EVO tranny isnt the best out there. Mine is fine and I have no issues with it at all but I cant count how many times I have read on here about someone grinding gears or a TC going out. I feel that the transmission is a really well designed piece when it comes to holding power. As far as smoothness goes mine has been knotchy since day one and will probably always be knotchy forever, but doesent grind (i drive a 03 with 6k on it).

Put a smoother tranny and a much stronger T-case in this car and then you will have the perfect car. I still love my EVO though .

Last edited by use2vtec; Oct 30, 2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've had a vibration/noise in 5th gear sub 2K rpm almost since purchase. The dealership shrugged at it and I lived with it. Started modding and there's no point in me taking it back now. But it IS ****ed. The shift lockout is apparently related to replacement clutch or poor install of same. If I force it when locked out I grind and that's most any gear. She's a mess down there and I'll eventually get a rebuild AND a new clutch.

I don't think they're all crap but I do think some of them have had distinct issues. I've driven manual transmissions almost 30 years ...

Sure alot of it is driver abuse. But not all.

I don't care for anyone claiming they're all crap nor certainly agree. He/she's frustrated, perhaps disappointed in him/herself, and entitled to voice an opinion. It would be nice to hear symptoms.

Otherwise, have it rebuilt. Sucks to be down for the 2-3 weeks it seems to take for TRE or Shepard to do it, however. I'm not looking forward to that.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

there are some syncrho problems that will be replaced under warranty. lock out problems occur due to the after market clutches. i had issues with both - then switched back to the oem clutch and also had them fix the synchro - now the tranny is smooth as butter!
Old Oct 30, 2005, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine howls. ever since i changed the fliuds. put in Syncromesh, it started to howl. put in redline, howls a little louder. wondering what to try next.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my transmission as of yet. I never had any issues with my 94 Talon's AWD drivetrain, while others did. I believe that the Evo's drivetrain is much stronger than my old DSM and alot of the failures out there are caused by the drivers lack of experience with AWD cars. I'd check out TRE or Shepard if you want to try improve your transmission.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PURE MR
Good point, Im tired of all these guys (most probably young) that get there evo's and relentlessly beat the crap out of them, blow out clutches and destroy tranny's and then get on here and say their evo's suck and they're selling them! If you aske Jon Ripple for TRE, he'll tell you that the EVO 5-speed is a great transmission, and if treated properly, should have no problem handling good power. Sorry to vent, just my .02.
thank you man for leting the young kids out there know whats up. we all know this is ture and for thouse that mom and dad buy u the evo and can care less it the same thing ripping though gears blowing clutchs and transfercases ..... i dont even want to say nemore.

1++++ man
Old Oct 31, 2005, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
I've had a vibration/noise in 5th gear sub 2K rpm almost since purchase. The dealership shrugged at it and I lived with it.
5th gear noise? Not after we rebuild it.

Got P300 code? Not after we rebuild it.

Jon@TRE
Old Oct 31, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GEARS
5th gear noise? Not after we rebuild it.

Got P300 code? Not after we rebuild it.

Jon@TRE
What's your turnaround time??
Old Oct 31, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
+1
Tighten the nut behind the wheel.
awesome quote, forgive me if I plagiarize that one!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wei210wei
I think everybody knows dat EVO's transmission are bad. Is anyway we can improve our transmission, cuz i m really sick of it....

you thought WRONG! usually its user error......improve your driving technique.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Only problem i've got is 5th gear grind, but that will be fixed soon due to the TSB that is out for the grind.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
What's your turnaround time??
About 2 weeks.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I don't launch the car and I double-clutch every downshift, and the 4th-gear synchro in my '03 still went bad. Poor driving technique my *** -- how many TS bulletins are there? Sadly, my EVO will continue to sit in storage until I can afford to have TRE properly rebuild my transmission and transfer-case. I'm not taking any chances with Mitsubishi service this time.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

wow, i had my '03 for 34K miles, launched about 50 times total from 6k RPMs and have NEVER had a Tranny or TC problem, this sounds like it is driver error
Old Nov 1, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Don't blame the victim. If the tranny is bad, it's a Mitsu problem. I've had 2 EVOs and I have not had serious problems with the tranny in either one. However, I do think they are a bit hard to shift and it's easy to miss shifts or shift to the wrong gear. So far so good for me, but there are lots of people out there with tranny problems. They caan't all be caused by driver technique

Quick Reply: EVO's transmission #$%^$