Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO's transmission #$%^$

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well take a poll on how many drivers came from 2 wheel drive vehicals to Evos, auto to manual trans's. a Lot of those drivers driving the Evo don't drive it right for the first 5k miles b/c they don't know how to beat on a AWD car with out breaking it.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sure there are owners out there that shrapnel their trannies. I don't believe I'm one of them. Neither my '90 GSX nor my '91 Saab have had transmission issues since they came off the showroom floor, and they're still on their original clutches.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I drove my brother's 911 4S, the shifter moves smoothly with no resistance and then latches in there. You can even just toss it right into the gear too, which however increases the possibility of accidentally downshifting on an upshift.

To put this into perspective, the Porshe cost 3 times more than the Evo, so learn to live with it or buy something more refined engineering.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
I drove my brother's 911 4S, the shifter moves smoothly with no resistance and then latches in there. You can even just toss it right into the gear too, which however increases the possibility of accidentally downshifting on an upshift.

To put this into perspective, the Porshe cost 3 times more than the Evo, so learn to live with it or buy something more refined engineering.
Forget the Porsche, you can get much better shifter action from Acuras, Miatas and Hondas. The idea that people are trashing the trannies because they don't know how to drive is bullcrap. In the old days, automatic transmissions were rare, nearly all cars came with 3 speed trannies with column shifters and the people learned to drive them without huge number of transmission failures. Oh yeah, my first Pinto, a '70 with the 1.6 L engine and 4 speed tranny shifted a lot easier and smoother than my EVOs
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

12K miles on my car and I haven't had one tranny problem. I had some clutch love when I first got the car, but that was because I had to get used to driving it. I hope you aren't trying to power shift. Evo's aren't made for that. They are road cars made for smooth tight shifting. Not the traditional honda slamshift. You grind gears that way.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
Forget the Porsche, you can get much better shifter action from Acuras, Miatas and Hondas. The idea that people are trashing the trannies because they don't know how to drive is bullcrap. In the old days, automatic transmissions were rare, nearly all cars came with 3 speed trannies with column shifters and the people learned to drive them without huge number of transmission failures. Oh yeah, my first Pinto, a '70 with the 1.6 L engine and 4 speed tranny shifted a lot easier and smoother than my EVOs
Ahh... the old 3 on the tre

Well that pinto didn't have to rev, the synchros were huge by comparison, the clutch disc was light, the shifter wasn't a short throw and they didn't have Mitsubishi building it. Honestly, I think that someone over there is purposely trying to mess them up or commit corporate suicide.... The "real" problems with their transmissions didn't really start to happen until 1991.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not to hijack the thread, but you've seen plenty of evo trannies ... by year or as a whole lot, what are the most common issues? What causes the low-rpm vibrations/noises and is the shifting lockout truly about synchros??? Everyone's blaming clutches ... help a man out, GEARS ...
Old Nov 1, 2005, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
Ahh... the old 3 on the tre

Well that pinto didn't have to rev, the synchros were huge by comparison, the clutch disc was light, the shifter wasn't a short throw and they didn't have Mitsubishi building it. Honestly, I think that someone over there is purposely trying to mess them up or commit corporate suicide.... The "real" problems with their transmissions didn't really start to happen until 1991.
Man you are cold.. The Pinto had a 1.6 L pushrod! Of course it did not have to rev as much. But face it, for those days that little Brit engine was high revving Oh yeah, you seem to know a suspicious lot of details about that car... You didn't own one by chance did you?
I agree that there are some real issues with the EVO trannies. They could definitely be more robust considering the engine power.... I guess we both agree that it's not the people's fault in many cases that the transmissions and transfer cases fail. It seems to me that a lot of folks who are having problems are the kind of people who do not beat on their cars. There are lots of folks here who brag a lot about how hard they beat on the drivetrain and it does not break. Well, that's not germaine. The fact is that some drivetrains break rather easily and without abuse while others take abuse galore. I'd say that the quality control or strength of these parts is not as consistenr as it could be....
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

My trany is $hit!!!
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

this is rediculous I have been a do it yourselfer for a LOOOOONG time (sinse I was 12) working on my mothers honda and my daddy's 69 el camino. I have seen all kinds of trannys and not a whole lot are like the evo's engineering. Yes it is possible to break easily but you have to be careful with your driving. Theres a lot of power behind this lil'4 banger and this tranny is the key. Be nice and smooth to your toy and it'll be nice n smooth back. I have 32,000 very awesome hard miles on my 03 and its only down and out because of the clutch. I have it out right now and its guts are all over my garage. But I love working on this thing and its a joy to have such a great piece of engineering sitting at my home. shame not all the evo's have a good daddy like mine.....
Old Nov 2, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

i am coming from a FWD car and i think mine is fine the cltuch is melted however that cause i learned how to launch on it the only thing that i think is wrong with mine is that it grinds very little sometimes going into third, sounds like a syncro. but dealer should cover it and it is a LOUD tranny
Old Nov 2, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm hearing good things about removing the restrictor pill in the slave cylinder. Dunno yet ... it's discussed all over the board, however. Just thought I'd throw that in since we're so damned off-topic anyway ... *Shrug*
Old Nov 4, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

can we get back on topic?
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:16 PM

transmission

2005 Evo8.

Driving? Drove many manual transmissions. Grow up with WRC cars and watch them close.
Never had issues.

Bought a new EVO8. Be nice, kind and gentle. Then, many problems started to come up and still after 110 days, it is parked at the dealer.

NTHSA has just 15 transmission complaints, without me as I didnt even submit one yet.

It cannot be the drivers all the time. Yeah, I have seen people who can be mean on the car; but not everyone wants to pay 30K to abuse it.
Honestly, NHTSA complaints, many other people and serach online. Do we all agree that over %60 of the EVOs have such issue?
Why many ppl have aftermarket drivetrain?

It cannot be blamed on the drivers.

I have witnesses in the car that I used it for medical emerngecy and drove tons of miles. One morning, the shifting got funny and clutch got burned in 50 minutes driving after that..
Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throw bearing got replaced. Mitsubishi MADE ME TO PAY THESE. I am after my money.
Sicne then, it got stuck in gears twice, sometimes does not get into the gears.
Then, under warranty, the slave and master cylinder got replaced. Then again! It didnt get into the gears, randomly and sometimes. I am lucky lately that it does it at the dealership.

Dealer opened it up and changing tranny parts. They experienced grinding on the 3rd gear. I didnt realize 3rd gear grinding. Lets see what will happen. Owing an EVO? or driving a loaner more than your own EVO? You decide!

Did I mention that all parts are stock?
Did I mention that I am picky and do not abuse the car. All the fun I have is do not use the breaks on the corners under the speed limit.

So what will Mitsubishi do about all these people?
We all complain, including myself. I didnt even file a NTHSA. Will they get all the customers sick of it and sell the car or fix it and keep paying it?

It is pretty complex at this point but do not forget that we all paid $30K and we should get the best service they can give! We should get a car "dummy proof".

I do not agree about driving methods and etc, or it is all drivers.
Honestly, I drove the car 3 weeks and in the last 4 months, I am living the nightmare and didnt enjoy the car.
I cannot sell it as it has to be fixed, I cannot get in as I am sick of it. Each time I was told that it was fixed, more issues came up.

I am also tired of arguing and trying to convince people. Yeah, I am 22 and young! I cannot take it as I abuse it as I am young. I read some posts online so far. Sorry guys.
Evo may be a car you recently met, but I lived in Cyprus where WRC visits each year with SWEET and SEXY EVOs.... I think I know enough about these cars and love it, but hated it too.

Does anyone ever come up with a brilliant idea to report or take any action regarding to all these tranmission or any other "repeating issues"?

Thank you.
ES
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Are you saying that if i send you my tranny...my
problem solved?
Originally Posted by GEARS
5th gear noise? Not after we rebuild it.

Got P300 code? Not after we rebuild it.

Jon@TRE