Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT or Exedy organic single

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT or Exedy organic single

I did a search, and have read quite a few reviews on the ACT. There was only one or two threads about the new Exedy single organic plate clutch. (This one here)
Both seem to be right around the same price.

I don't launch my car, but do goto the track (road coarse and after the clutch, drag) and autocross occasionally, so I need something that can stand up to some abuse. I also have right around 360whp and 400ft/lbs. I don't know if I am going to stick with the stock turbo or upgrade eventually, but both I believe can support right around 500ft/lbs, so I think that's plenty.

What are your reviews about daily driving on either clutch? Please don't mention the lock-out on the ACT as I believe it is all adjustment, and not product.

What about lightened flywheel? I don't want something so light as to where I have to double clutch on up-shifts because the revs fall off so fast. Would you recommend the Fidanza for daily driving? What about the ProStreet which is 1lb heavier??

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 06:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get away from organics, sure people will quote others breaking records in 8 second awd dsms with them but those last maybe a couple of runs. For daily driving after running stock and act organics I recommend a segmented kevlar friction material. Grips with a vengeance too.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Do yourself a favor and get away from organics, sure people will quote others breaking records in 8 second awd dsms with them but those last maybe a couple of runs. For daily driving after running stock and act organics I recommend a segmented kevlar friction material.
such as
Old Oct 30, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

I went with an act hdss and wish I had saved more and got the exedy twin. My act is very notchy and harder to launch then the stock clutch. It also took awhile to adjust properly.

Monkey you dynoed 360/400... nice work. I cant wait for meth injection and 280s.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 08:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Both are similar. The Exedy is a little more mild and probably not as well suited as the ACT for higher output applications. It is probably somewhat more user friendlly (lighter pedal, smoother engagement). I am not sure about clutch life since we haven't done endurance tests on both materials.

Don't believe mitsuorder about organics. There is a reason stock clutches are organic, whether it's a Corvette or Viper or EVO. BTW: John Shepherd's 8 sec. DSM used about 2 organic discs A YEAR and not so much because he needed it, but because it was cheap insurance. This year the whole setup is different of course and he has broke into 7's.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Slappy
I went with an act hdss and wish I had saved more and got the exedy twin. My act is very notchy and harder to launch then the stock clutch. It also took awhile to adjust properly.

Monkey you dynoed 360/400... nice work. I cant wait for meth injection and 280s.
Would you mind if I drove your car sometime and felt the clutch? I didn't know you had an ACT installed.

I've heard bad things about the Exedy twin and don't know if I want to spend $1300 on a clutch right now.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump for more info. These are the 2 choices I would probably go with depending on more info from owners.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

competition clutch and clutchmasters make a clutch also
Old Oct 30, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

ACT guy here...never had a problem ever...so take that as one vote for the ACT...for a street car, I agree with the others that Organic is really the way to go.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

my next clutch will be an exedy
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=147510
Old Oct 30, 2005, 09:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Listen I'm not trying to rally against anyone's product Dirk. Just pointing out my experiences with organics in my car ok? The comment about the 8 second dsm wasn't me going against you and Shepherd. You know how it is, someone will talk about how this fastest car runs this part and that's what you need when most of the time that certain part only lasts a few runs. As you have pointed out that is not the case with Shepherd's dsm. We run segmented kevlar discs on the shop's 368ci and 415ci ZR-1's for a reason as well, they're smooth and hold power better than organic.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Listen I'm not trying to rally against anyone's product Dirk. Just pointing out my experiences with organics in my car ok? The comment about the 8 second dsm wasn't me going against you and Shepherd. You know how it is, someone will talk about how this fastest car runs this part and that's what you need when most of the time that certain part only lasts a few runs. As you have pointed out that is not the case with Shepherd's dsm. We run segmented kevlar discs on the shop's 368ci and 415ci ZR-1's for a reason as well, they're smooth and hold power better than organic.
I am not trying to argue with you either so please don't take it as such. You were speaking in general terms, not about your car in the post so that is how I took it. Monkey didn't ask if he should buy an organic, but which one. Since you took the liberty to give your opinion on organics, I thought it warranted a rebutal. I don't want to take up any more bandwidth on the subject, but I would like to continue the conversation with you about organics and other materials if you have time. I am going to be out all week at SEMA so maybe when I get back. Drop me an email if you would like to continue or maybe give me a phone number.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

single plate organic will not hold the power ur making good, ive heard some negative things about act such as wearing out syncros and high rpm lockout- so im going with the exedy twin plate and it comes with a flywheel and im making less power than you--- or you could go with the exedy ceremettalic w flywheel for about the same price as the act with new flywheel
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatsMR2u
single plate organic will not hold the power ur making good, ive heard some negative things about act such as wearing out syncros and high rpm lockout- so im going with the exedy twin plate and it comes with a flywheel and im making less power than you--- or you could go with the exedy ceremettalic w flywheel for about the same price as the act with new flywheel
I believe the rpm lockout to be adjustment issue, not product issue. I don't see how the ceremetallic would hold more. It is my understanding it has a quicker wear life than normal organic
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm very happy w/ my ACT/ Prostreet setup

Quick Reply: ACT or Exedy organic single