Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

when alky fails which part of engine blows up?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2005, 08:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
I thought that if you are on stock ecu..and the knock occurs the knock sensor will detect it and yank the hell out of the timing correct me if I am wrong...Also if you running alky injection and have to worry about that why not just run nitrous..if you run out of nitrous you more than likely wont blow your motor lol
true - the knock sensor is very helpful

However - when running ultra high boost (26 - 30 psi) and very lean a/f - if the alcohol fails it may start knocking really hard and by the time the stock ecu pulls enough timing the damage may have already been done

obviously with a slightly lower boost and richer a/f (as we have been tuning them) you have a greater chance of the stock ecu protecting your weak *** stock pistons
Old Oct 31, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
600hp on stock pistons is pretty dam stout..which i think the evo motor is capable of..on a honda motor..you can get a good tune..put out about 280 - 300..eventually the ringlands always give out lol...
Old Oct 31, 2005, 08:36 PM
Account Disabled

yes - the stock pistons either the ring lands go or they crack in half
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

How much boost is the alky usually tuned for on a stock turbo?
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:28 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by fuzzychi
How much boost is the alky usually tuned for on a stock turbo?
25 - 26 is resonable and safe
Old Nov 1, 2005, 03:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Also - with the newer SMC kits I sell now and a proper tune - in most cases the car WILL NOT blow up if the kit fails
What makes the newer kits safer than the older ones? Do the newer kits have a smaller nozzle? I just got a kit from you and I'm told (by SMC) that the kits have a 7 gph nozzle in them now. I know that at least some people on this board are using a significantly larger nozzle on this kit.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
David Buschur also posted up about how to set up am AEM to monitor the alcohol and keep your engine safe
Actually GTVEVO posted up how to hook the SMC alky kit into the AEM using the nos map and IC Spray light as a safegaurd. David did post that he is using it with an added on/off switch at the controller so it doesn't have to be ran all the time though.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=151383

Thanks for the props though, it works very well.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

For me, it was the bottom end and it took about half a second for it to go.

Last edited by statix; Nov 1, 2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by statix
For me, it was the bottom end and it took about half a second for it to go.
dam thats pretty quick for it to go like that... I guess guages wont work since it only takes a sec to blow.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
dam thats pretty quick for it to go like that... I guess guages wont work since it only takes a sec to blow.
I sure it also depends on how aggressive your tune is, what size alky injector your using and how lean your running the car.
Like I was told though, you have to pay to play!
Old Nov 1, 2005, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by statix
I sure it also depends on how aggressive your tune is, what size alky injector your using and how lean your running the car.
Like I was told though, you have to pay to play!

Not sure but I think its the 4th or 5th generation one. The nozzle that sprays upwards and the gauge is right underneath the intake pipe. My kit is installed but it hasnt been tuned yet. I hooked up apower switch so its turned off for now. What should my afrs be if I want a safe tune just incase something does go wrong?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 05:21 AM
EvoM Guru

statix -- Do you know what caused your alky kit to stop spraying?

Derek888 -- I just got one of the new kits and am planning to tune mine to AFRs in the high 10s, especially around the torque peak. You can go much much leaner for more power, but the risk increases significantly.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW

Derek888 -- I just got one of the new kits and am planning to tune mine to AFRs in the high 10s, especially around the torque peak. You can go much much leaner for more power, but the risk increases significantly.
I have personally seen two EVO8 engines damaged from use of alcohol injection. The cost to repair them wasn't cheap either. It depends how lean you tune the car and how much alcohol you are spraying. The more boost, leaner AFR, and more alcohol you spray the more the risk in danger to your car.

GTEVO has incorporated safeguards into the AEM which work AWESOME. I have been on the phone with him discussing this for the past few weeks. We are trying to incorporate the Alkycontrol kit with it as well. His writeup is kick ***, heck even Buschur uses it .

The thing thats gets me is people will dump 30k buying the car, 10-15k on parts, and are looking for the cheapest kit on the market to put on their 40-45k investment.

Last edited by VTECH8TR; Nov 2, 2005 at 05:37 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW

What hp differences are you going to see between running leaner and high 10 AFRs? If I were to run safe(10 AFR) do I need to lower my boost as well? My goal is to run 26 psi on stock turbo along with my fully built race head.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Derek888
What hp differences are you going to see between running leaner and high 10 AFRs? If I were to run safe(10 AFR) do I need to lower my boost as well? My goal is to run 26 psi on stock turbo along with my fully built race head.
I have no idea what HP gains I'll see. As long as I get at least 20 whp from the kit, I'll be happy. $25/hp is a great bang per buck.

Quick Reply: when alky fails which part of engine blows up?