Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

when alky fails which part of engine blows up?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2005, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when alky fails which part of engine blows up?

is it the head or bottom end that blows up when your alky kit does fail?
Old Oct 31, 2005, 03:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Usually a piston will crack with bad detonation, but almost anything's possible in terms of engine damage if the detonation is bad enough and prolonged enough.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

I would say the liver! No really, this is a great question, which I wouldnt want to find out the answer to. I would guess bottom end!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on the kit, the BR kit uses a pretty small nozzle and if tuned by Al they are pretty conservative. You SHOULD notice the loss of power and knocking before you launch the motor. If the motor is run for a short time it should be fine with the BR kit, but if you continue to run high rpm you probly will have trouble. I added the Zietronics wideband to help monitor the afr's.

Now, if you are running a big nozzle, lots of boost, lots of timing, egt close to 900c, and 11.5afrs then you will really need to be careful about monitoring the afrs b/c you won't have much of a safty margin.

I would say a cracked piston, broken land or melted plug if ex. temp goes way up.

Last edited by 4ringturncoat; Oct 31, 2005 at 03:38 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

So I have the AMS kit, and have the AEM UEGO guage on my dash, is that enough? or do you think i should have an EGT guage up there also?
Old Oct 31, 2005, 03:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
So I have the AMS kit, and have the AEM UEGO guage on my dash, is that enough? or do you think i should have an EGT guage up there also?
I think it's better to have a warning light for knock than the things that cause knock. I already have a wideband gauge but I'm thinking of adding a Turbo XS Knocklite.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

I am going to do both! On alky tuning for 1/4 mile it is very easy to get egt's to 900c+ and have no knock, if you had a very conservative timing map you might not get knock if you lose the alky, just higher egt's. I log timing with a pocketlogger but the knocklite is a great safty device to have with alky. Remeber, in racing you NEVER get a big gain without an increased risk!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was looking at the knocklite as well but havent heard of any reviews. The knocklink is well backed though...
Old Oct 31, 2005, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Never heard of a knock light! where would one get one?
Old Oct 31, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

I was hoping the bottom end so that if it does go I have a reason to go 2.3.. lol j/k
Why get a knock link if you can just look at your afr's? Once your afrs go high your in danger zone anyways...
Old Oct 31, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Either the car will knock really bad or your going to toast your bottom end, depends what alky jet your using and how close the tune is from just pump tune.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 08:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Never heard of a knock light! where would one get one?
They just came out from TurboXS. There are a bunch of vendors that have them or you can go directly to the manufacturer.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

The Knock Light looks pretty nice, I'll probably pick one up. Why aren't more people using one? Seems like cheap protection.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 06:53 PM
Account Disabled

I posted a whole thread way back about various safeguards you can take to prevent engine damage iof your alcohol kit fails

David Buschur also posted up about how to set up am AEM to monitor the alcohol and keep your engine safe

THE BEST DEFENSE is to realize that if something does not feel right back off immediately

Also - with the newer SMC kits I sell now and a proper tune - in most cases the car WILL NOT blow up if the kit fails

The a/f is run rich enough with the kit that it would remain in tolerable ranges if the kit failed - for this idea it is david Buschur who had the idea. I would not want to test this theory out on your car though!

A decent a/f gauge in front of your face like a $300 AEM a/f gauge and a knock link will keep you out of any harms way

remember - no fast car comes without risk of damage - the idea is to control and minimize the risk !
Old Oct 31, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

I thought that if you are on stock ecu..and the knock occurs the knock sensor will detect it and yank the hell out of the timing correct me if I am wrong...Also if you running alky injection and have to worry about that why not just run nitrous..if you run out of nitrous you more than likely wont blow your motor lol

Quick Reply: when alky fails which part of engine blows up?